PDA

View Full Version : Will a non-techie be able to set up Comcast or Embarq on Linux?

zephyrcat
February 16th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I am going to be giving an old computer with Ubuntu (8.04) on it to someone who does not have a computer. Unfortunately, it will not be practical to provide support to them in any way other than giving them a book (Ubuntu for Non-Geeks, 2nd Edition). They are planning on signing up for Embarq or Comcast internet. I have used both these services on Linux without a problem, but I don't remember what the initial setup involved (it was probably done on a Windows machine.)

If anyone has set up Embarq DSL or Comcast cable with only Linux machines (either self set up or not), can you tell me what you had to do?

As far as I understand it, you should just be able to plug your computer in to the router and have it work, but I want to make sure.

Thanks!

Edit: And are the Comcast/Embarq techs likely to be a pain about anything other than Windows?

abn91c
February 16th, 2009, 05:23 AM
with comcast cable you dont need to do anything if using a wired connection, just plug-in and go. if you add a router then you have to do some router configuring, nothing that will affect linux.Note: this for a DHCP connection, if palnning on using static IP, that a different story.
about the techs, they dont care, I have a windows Xp and Kubuntu linux thru a router.

richg
February 16th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I go to my brother's and plug in a Linux PC or use my wireless PC. No issues. I set up Firefox preferences with a home page I like. Mine is Google.
I have had a free Yahoo email address for nine years with no issues. I signed up for a free Gmail account about a year ago. Do not need an email application.
I can get mt mail from any PC, anywhere. Both have excellent Spam control.
I always clear All personal data when I close the browser so all cookies, history, browsing histroy, saved passwords, offline information, etc, goes away. When I configure the Linux OS in my PC, I use a fake name. No personal info.

With Comcast, if you hook a router to the cable modem you have to call Comcast to have them reset the modem before the router will connect.

I have done this for three different Comcast customers who wanted a router to connect extra PCs.

You might need a Windows PC if you want to configure a wireless router to keep nearby people from getting into the 'Net via the wireless router signal. Also, if you configure a router, do not use the person's name because the wireless signal with their name will be broadcast to anyone in the area. The name is not hidden when the router is configured for security. Been there, done that, have the T shirt.

I expect I will be going to Comcast in the near future as Charter I use now is in trouble.

Just make sure they understand about not downloading any kind of software that is not for Linux.

Rich

zephyrcat
February 16th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Ok. Thanks! Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

smartboyathome
February 16th, 2009, 06:36 AM
with comcast cable you dont need to do anything if using a wired connection, just plug-in and go. if you add a router then you have to do some router configuring, nothing that will affect linux.Note: this for a DHCP connection, if palnning on using static IP, that a different story.
about the techs, they dont care, I have a windows Xp and Kubuntu linux thru a router.

Only problem is that if you try to use the same ethernet cable on more than one comp, it won't work, so make sure they ARE using a router. :)