PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] No backround/cant change themes or resolution...please help!

edubs428
February 16th, 2009, 05:05 AM
So i've been having this problem for a while and cant find anything in the forums... I know at one point I had the ability to change my backround image and themes and screen resolution, but not anymore. I have tried reinstalling compiz and all things related, i reinstalled the desktop env. and everything. This machine was built for me and I'm not even sure what version of ubuntu i'm running or anything. can someone help?

Thanks!
Erik

itang sanjana
February 16th, 2009, 02:10 PM
For your Ubuntu release just type in terminal

lsb_release -a

So, what happen when you try to change the background recently?

edubs428
February 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
nothing... the color changes, but no picture. also i cannot change themes... my gf said something about how she "might" have installed some kde stuff while poking around, but shes not sure. I have gnome and ubuntu 8.04 ;) thanks for the tip) I feel so lost with this now... any thoughts?

Also, I have run compiz check and all is well...

slashank
March 13th, 2009, 09:28 AM
nothing... the color changes, but no picture. also i cannot change themes... my gf said something about how she "might" have installed some kde stuff while poking around, but shes not sure. I have gnome and ubuntu 8.04 ;) thanks for the tip) I feel so lost with this now... any thoughts?

Also, I have run compiz check and all is well...

Was the application gtk-kde4 (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/gtk-kde4?content=74689)?
Removed it and removed /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file which was linked to `kde4-config --localprefix`/share/config/gtkrc

Everything works fine now.