PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card Issue/Incompatability??? Please Help!

khupp
February 16th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I'm a noob (although I have successfully installed and run Ubuntu on my laptop) and am trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 on my HP Pavillion Desktop (P4 2 GHz, 768 MB RAM, Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset) so I can learn more about Linux. I tried to install several times using the default settings and when I would reboot and login my screen would turn black except for the curser. I have tried just running Ubuntu from the disk without success. I have checked the disk and it passed. I have also tried Open Suse and Knoppix with similar results. I suspect there is some sort of issue with a driver and my video card. I don't believe my video card is bad because I have been running Windows for years on it with no issues. I appreciate any help.

Mark Phelps
February 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
It's not a matter of your video card being "bad"; it's a matter of Linux drivers being available for your card. You didn't mention your brand or model of card, but given that three different Linux distros are ALL unable to use your card, that's not a good sign. And no, before you ask, you can NOT use Windows video drivers in Linux.