PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Graphical Errors Leading to Freeze

wall0645
February 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hi, I'm running Ubuntu 8.04. I have been having problems the last week or so with odd graphical errors that eventually lock up the computer.

Basically whenever I open a program or click a link in Firefox, some brightly colored graphical anomalies appear, usually in the form of dashed lines (often corresponding to where a line would be normally). Some of these anomalies can be removed by running my mouse over them, while others are "permanent". It seems that whenever I do something graphically-intensive, the anomalies are more prevalent. If I do something "really" intensive (play a full-screen game, attempt to access Gmail, etc.), the graphical anomalies will cover the screen, causing the keyboard and programs to become unresponsive. The mouse is responsive for a little while at this point, though it moves very slowly and will eventually freeze as well. The mouse can't do anything, though, like close windows. Control+Alt+Backspace doesn't do anything, and a hard-shutdown is required.

This did not happen a month and a half ago when I first installed Ubuntu onto the machine. It has only started in the last week or so, definitely no more than two weeks I'd say (though minor anomalies may have been appearing as early as three weeks ago, I'd say. I really can't remember).

I just now did a fresh reinstall to attempt to fix the problem, thinking it must have been something I installed or modified that caused this to start happening. However, the problem is still occurring! I have installed the initial (250+) updates, so something in there may be the problem.

If anyone can perhaps tell me what could be wrong and how to fix it, that would be amazing! If there's anything you want to see, let me know. Although, I'm not sure I can capture the errors in a screenshot, as the computer freezes when it happens. I may be able to capture some minor anomalies in a screen shot if you want.

Thanks in advance!! :)

wall0645
February 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Any ideas? :(