PDA

View Full Version : What should i do next?

jimi_hendrix
February 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
well i know GUI programming, i can make some decent games (but i cant take them anywhere because the art is...well ripped from other games because i cant draw), so what should i do next to become better at programming?

krazyd
February 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Find an open source project you're interested in improving, and hack away at it :)

jimi_hendrix
February 16th, 2009, 04:01 AM
pointers to places? i would prefer some place where the projects have set goals...many source forge projects i wouldnt know how to improve (i either dont need new features or dont have bugs so :))

maximinus_uk
February 16th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I have the same problem. Perhaps we should pick a project and *both* help out on it? I'd rather work with a team than on my own (gives you more reason to get some work done!)

ch0d3
February 16th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I seem to be constantly recommending this... but launchpad has a featured projects section on the homepage. This might be a start.

sujoy
February 16th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I have the same problem. Perhaps we should pick a project and *both* help out on it? I'd rather work with a team than on my own (gives you more reason to get some work done!)

+1 good idea :)

ajackson
February 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
If your main interest is gaming rather than applications there is a list of open source games on wikipedia. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_games ), find one you like the look of and follow the links through to it's website. From there if they need help they should have some information and contact details.

Tim Sharitt
February 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Read some good, well-documented code and figure out what makes it work.

If there is something you want added or changed, do it. It doesn't matter if it's something that will never be merged into a project if you learn from it.

jimi_hendrix
February 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM

if you find a good one, my main languages are C/C++, python, perl, andd C#/java

ch0d3
February 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
That XCOM clone looks really awesome, and it looks like they need some GUI work done. I might check it out tomorrow.

jimi_hendrix
February 16th, 2009, 02:08 PM
That XCOM clone looks really awesome, and it looks like they need some GUI work done. I might check it out tomorrow.

link?

maximinus_uk
February 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I think the hardest part is finding a good team, or a decent team leader.

Couple of years ago I looked in helping a one man band programmer who had got a good way into programming what looked liked a decent game. I was even prepared to learn to use Ruby to help out. When I d/l the code I discovered it was *not commented* in any way at all. A real WTF moment and actually a bit embarrassing to tell the guy why I could not help out.

fiddler616
February 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM
If you go the Python or Java route, let me know and I'll be interested (I'm not sure if I can contribute or not, but I would love to be educated).

bruce89
February 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM

Please don't equate C and C++ or C# and Java.

Tim Sharitt
February 17th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Please don't equate C and C++ or C# and Java.

+1 :p