PDA

View Full Version : question on education

reaper308
February 16th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I am interested in going to college for network security. I have been using ubuntu for about a year and have some experience programming in pascal from high school. There are two things I would like to know.

1. Can you get a good job with just a 2 year technical degree or do you have to go to a university for 4 years and get your b.s in computer science?

2. I cant go full time to school for about two more years due to my situation. What books should I look into for programming or network security to give me a head start in my education?

any help would be appreciated

MikeTheC
February 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM
The only thing I can say to this is that most of the tech jobs I've seen, especially the kind you're talking about, all seem to have Bachelors level requirements attached to them.

HermanAB
February 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
One big problem is that you also need to learn how to smile and pleasantly say: "Yah want fries wizzat?"

Cheers,

Herman

Firestem4
February 16th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I am highly interested in learning Information Security, Specifically where it applies with networks. So I'm in the same boat as you.

A friend of mine recommended a wide variety of good books that I want to get into. (It covers a broad array of subjects regarding computers and networking, programming etc). I'll list them, and you may or may not need them but i kept the list for personal future reference.

(In not a very specific order)

Andrew S. Tanenbaum - Modern Operating Systems
Andrew S. Tanenbaum - Computerarchitecture
Rick Lehtinen and G.T. Gangemi - Computer Security Basics
Cyrus Peikari and Anton Chuvakin - Security Warrior
Jon Erickson - Forbidden Code (If not available where you are substitute with Hacking: The Art of Exploitation instead)

Programming: (I have no programming experience so much of this is for me to get started)
Firstly he recommended for me learning Psuedo Code.
And he said to pick up a book on logic and regular expressions.

And if I can. Try to get a set of Rainbow Books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Series

And here is a possible cert you may be interested in when you are further in your schooling/career.

http://www.eccouncil.org/ceh.htm (Ethical Hacking certification. While not industry standard is rapidly gaining notoriety and value).

Hope some of this helps!

reaper308
February 16th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it