PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] crashed xp system: install Ubuntu on external HD?

danrop
February 16th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Hi all,

I'm unable to boot into my XP-based laptop most probably because of a failing HD (I'm getting a "unmountable boot volume" BSoD and different diagnostic tools i've tried all report several errors with the primary HD). I'd like to be able to install Ubuntu 8.10 on an external 200 GB USB external HD (not a flash drive) without messing with my XP installation (as messed up as it already is at the moment - i'd like to see what i can salvage from it first. And besides, if the internal HD has too many errors then maybe it's a wasted effort to try installing Ubuntu on it).

The problem is there's no option in my BIOS to boot via a USB drive, so it has to be either via the CD drive (which is how I'm typing this, thanks to the Ubuntu LiveCD - or should I call LifeSaverCD!) and the internal HD, obviously.

Should I go for a normal installation, try to get it to install on my external HD, and overwrite the MBR, etc. ? (Sorry if I'm just talking out of my hat here - I haven't tried anything yet and only have a fuzzy idea of what might be required.)

Would appreciate any solutions or guidance as to what my options and what is the best way to proceed...

Thank you in advance!

CapnGimp
February 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I'd not waste my time trying to install on the internal hard drive. Just use the live cd/dvd of ubuntu that you are using now to surf,etc until you get a new hd for that laptop. I get them from ebay.
THEN when it arrives you can go from there.
It would take forever to install to a USBdrive.

In the meantime, remove your hard drive. Save it until you get the new one installed and place the bad one in the usb case and save your data to the new drive. The more you run it the less chance you have of retrieving data.