PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ntfs

silvermonkeyfeed
February 15th, 2009, 10:08 PM
hello i just installed ubuntu on my acer aspire one and it comes with windows xp installed and it is using the ntfs file system and ubuntu says it can not recognize the files on the partition so i need to know if any body knows of a software that can change the file system without formating the partition

oldos2er
February 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Which version of Ubuntu? 8.xx should be able to read NTFS partitions "out of the box." Was the NTFS partition shut down cleanly last time it was used?

silvermonkeyfeed
February 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
no it was not. ubuntu 8.10

oldos2er
February 16th, 2009, 01:37 AM
no it was not.

That's the reason Ubuntu's refusing to mount it; it attempts to preserve your data. Boot back into Windows and do a clean shutdown.

silvermonkeyfeed
February 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
but i did not install the boot loader for the windows partion so it will not boot into windows.

MasterProg
February 16th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Try forcing mount.

Firstly, find out which device is your NTFS partition:

sudo fdisk -l
Then create some mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/ntfs
After that mount it (replace disk-device with your partition):

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/disk-device /media/ntfs -o force

After that you will (should) be able to use the partition as you would normally.

oldos2er
February 16th, 2009, 11:53 PM
but i did not install the boot loader for the windows partion so it will not boot into windows.

How are you booting Ubuntu?

Mark Phelps
February 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM
hello i just installed ubuntu on my acer aspire one and it comes with windows xp installed and it is using the ntfs file system and ubuntu says it can not recognize the files on the partition so i need to know if any body knows of a software that can change the file system without formating the partition

To go back to your original question ...

There are utilities available to change FAT32 partitions to NTFS partitions -- for MS Windows -- while retaining the data, but I'm not aware of any that can change FAT32 or NTFS to Ext3 without erasing the data.

If you didn't already create a second partition for Ubuntu, I'm presuming that you installed Ubuntu inside MS windows using Wubi. Is that correct?

So, is you real question about how to replace your machine with an Ubuntu-only installation without reinstalling from scratch?