PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu moving up in the world...

oddabe19
January 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I went to distrowatch today, and noticed something....

Ubuntu moved to #7 passing slackware and gentoo on the way (Remember, this is hits per day).

You know a damn good distribution has been built when it surpasses 2 of the oldest distributions out there.

Just something I noticed and thought I would share.

Rank Distribution
1 Mandrakelinux
2 Fedora
3 SUSE
4 MEPIS
5 Debian
6 KNOPPIX
7 Ubuntu
8 Gentoo
9 Slackware
10 Damn Small

wallijonn
January 10th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I try not to get too excited about listings and ratings. It's like the stoock market - sooner or later your stock will go down. (Which is one reason why I'm into Bonds).

All distros will fluctuate. But I do expect to pick up a lot of Slackware GNOME users and Fedora Users to switch over to Ubuntu.

tiiim
January 10th, 2005, 09:17 PM
I try not to get too excited about listings and ratings. It's like the stoock market - sooner or later your stock will go down. (Which is one reason why I'm into Bonds).

All distros will fluctuate. But I do expect to pick up a lot of Slackware GNOME users and Fedora Users to switch over to Ubuntu.
or if you switch it to last month view u get:

Mandrakelinux
2 MEPIS
3 Fedora
4 SUSE
5 Ubuntu
6 Debian
7 KNOPPIX
8 Gentoo
9 Slackware
10 Damn Small

but yes its hits in page shows what the interest is like but not the popular after all Gentoo and Debian have a far bigger user base than Ubunutu (at the mo).

#Greg
January 10th, 2005, 09:25 PM
The movement is all todo with the press. Recently there was a lot of press about Ubuntu, slashdot, osnews etc and many many more. It certainly has the potential to be a big player, but in some ways I hope it doesn't, things get ruined. Anyone who's been a part of a bigger community will probably know what I'm talking about.

az
January 10th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Mepis, Ubuntu, Knoppix are all built on Debian.
That's 40 percent of the top ten.

When Mandrake releases, they always hit the top ten for a few months.

JackDog
January 10th, 2005, 10:08 PM

Actually they are usually #1 year round. I havent seen them out of the top 3 in ages.

oddabe19
January 10th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Damn small is debian as well... so that 50%

crane
January 11th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Yea the ranking go up and down alot. I do feel however that Ubuntu is a contender now. No matter what the Distrowatch says.

Debian based distros have been fairky high up on the list for a while. The live CD's really help that out.

Quest-Master
January 11th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Ubuntu has risen really fast, let me tell you. I've been keeping an eye on it for a while now at Distrowatch. I'm sure we'll continue rise even higher though. ;d

HiddenWolf
January 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Ubuntu has risen really fast, let me tell you. I've been keeping an eye on it for a while now at Distrowatch. I'm sure we'll continue rise even higher though. ;d
Yeah. It can only go up. :-)
Ubuntu is still rough around the edges at this moment. See what starts happening when you get the polish of fedora with the power of debian.
It'll be magic. :-)

shimon
January 11th, 2005, 04:45 PM
ubuntu was 3rd at one point of time when i would vist the page daily but i say if all of us here vist that page daily we will be number one by far so how about i am willing to start and am willing to run a cron to vist the page daily

HiddenWolf
January 11th, 2005, 05:13 PM
ubuntu was 3rd at one point of time when i would vist the page daily but i say if all of us here vist that page daily we will be number one by far so how about i am willing to start and am willing to run a cron to vist the page daily
That does nothing, accomplishes nothing, is considered cheating, and would rub off on the distro itself.

Bad idea, very bad.

az
January 11th, 2005, 05:18 PM
"Damn small is debian as well... so that 50%"

It depends. It started with debian with half the stuff on it being non-debian. Dpkg is removed. It kind of like Darth Vader.

-----------------------------------------------
I am happy you like your religion, but
Christ I'm annoyed by religious quotes!

Dylanby
January 11th, 2005, 11:04 PM
...Dpkg is removed. It kind of like Darth Vader.

LOL

You wrote 'Dpkg' & not 'dpkg'.

Dpkg = D(arth's)package?

If it's true that his was removed then that might explain the aggression.

Choking people & blowing up planets are just avenues of release.