PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] what to expect?

Armor Nick
February 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hey guys,

I ordered Kubuntu a week ago and I'm really anxious about it because I really want to try KDE4. It looks really good.

However, I had some bad experience with KDE3, so I want to be prepared ;) . What can I expect from kde4? What are the upsides and downsides?

Also, has anyone tried Kubuntu jaunty? How is KDE 4.2? It looked really good on the site and people say it's the first really usable version of kde4.

Lord Landis
February 15th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I've installed 4.2 from the nightly builds on my Intrepid install, and it's been pretty good to me so far. It really is a vast improvement over 4.1, and there's considerably more polish to it.

As for 4.1... If you have an nVidia card, be prepared for some weirdness when using OpenOffice. There's a bug in the 177 driver that causes plasma to display a number of graphical glitches when OO is the active window. Note that if you focus on <i>any</i> other window, the issues clear up. But there is a fix for this! Go to nVidia's site, then download and install the 180 beta driver. It will fix your display problems.

Anyway, I have most of the eye-candy turned off on my system - I just don't feel the need for most of it. There are occasional glitches with icons in the system tray, but that's really the worst of it from my perspective. I was a little disappointed not to have Amarok 2, but that's really a minor concern.

Dolphin will be your default file browser. I prefer Konqueror for that, so I switched it back. Also, some of the darker color schemes can get a little weird, especially in Firefox and in tooltip windows (light gray text on white backgrounds or black text on black backgrounds), but that can probably be worked around either by changing Firefox themes or by tweaking the color settings for KDE. IMHO these are all <i>very, very, very minor</i> 'problems'.

So, aside from issues with OO & nVidia, I've had no major issues with KDE 4. You'll probably hear a lot of bad things about it, but remember that most of what you hear on the forums consists of people complaining or trying to fix a problem. There is a sad lack of positive feedback for a great many products.

P.S. - I just realized who your avatar is. I think I'll have to steal that for my own collection!

zedx555
February 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
KDE 4.2 is quite great... I have tried it in my Arch Linux partition. It looks great and runs quite fast on my Geforce 6200 with P4 1500 and 768 MB SD RAM after some tweaking ( http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDEmod#How_to_get_decent_performance_on_KDE_4_usin g_a_NVIDIA_graphics_card ). It looks great and is very useful. Altough somethings are not yet tweakable (like desktop switching on the rolling of the mouse wheel) and it has crashed sometimes. Some bugs still need to be squashed. So I'm using Gnome still as it is very stable...