PDA

View Full Version : Your worst experience of pain

foxbase
February 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
What's the worst pain you've gone through be it emotional and/or physical?

earthpigg
February 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
probably being born and, a little later, being circumsized.

fortunately, i do not remember it.

handy
February 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
That I remember: A tooth ache that was so bad I ended up in hospital on morphine.

The morphine was pretty cool, I went six inches to the right of my body, & found myself in ancient Egypt!

I have no understanding of how that worked, theories abound, but mean nothing in the end.

As good as ancient Egypt was, it wasn't worth the pain that it took to get me there.

Mazza558
February 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
This is going to be a fun thread...

Sprut1
February 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I'm surprised none have yet thrown out "this one time, I was kicked in the balls...."

bsharp
February 15th, 2009, 02:33 PM
When I broke my wrist playing basketball with my cousins in 5th grade. It hurt pretty bad at first, but it wasn't broken all the way through and didn't swell so my parents thought it was sprained. I went three weeks before getting xrays.

It has bothered me in some form ever since.

thegreenblob
February 15th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm surprised none have yet thrown out "this one time, I was kicked in the balls...."

This one time, I was kicked in the balls.... lol, just kidding, but...

I do get really bad migraines... and every one of them hurts... a lot >_< I hate them...

SonnHalter
February 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
nothing beats swimming back to shore a mile away in jelly fish infested water.

I got stun like 30 times.

earthpigg
February 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
nothing beats swimming back to shore a mile away in jelly fish infested water.

I got stun like 30 times.

ouch... how did you find yourself in that position?

billgoldberg
February 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
What's the worst pain you've gone through be it emotional and/or physical?

The skin of my forehead got torn once, that hurts like a MF.

Besides that, well a broke some ribs a few years back. That was pretty bad too.

I still can't sleep on my side.

A year or two ago my right middle finger got bent out of shape (from the middle of the finger), I snapped it back into its socket and broke it while doing so, looked really gross.

jimi_hendrix
February 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
in 2nd grade i fell and hit my head on the edge of a table...on Christmas. i needed 5 stitches.

Cross Country running in general is also painful

Insane_Homer
February 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM
most definitely when a tooth stone on my wisdom tooth broke off and exposed the nerve, for 2 weeks until it was extracted. I was completely debilitated - it got so bad i couldn't walk. Luckily I could control it with cold water.

and to compare it to some other's I've had, these all come a distant 2nd.
broken toes (3)
broken ankle - pinned for a year
cracked ribs
broken collar bone
and most recently ( aug 08 ) depressed fracture of the cheek bone that required an operation to push it back out again
(all rugby related btw).

SonnHalter
February 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM
ouch... how did you find yourself in that position?

cousin: hey let's go body surfing, I'll teach you, its mid tide so we'll have to go out far enough for deep huge waves, it will get to high tide soon tho.

me: aren't the jellyfish migrating back today?

cousin: nah, i've only see one or two of them all this week.

me: okay!

insane_alien
February 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
1/ getting my leg put back in after i dislocated it
2/ attmpting to walk on said dislocated leg because i hadn't realised it was dislocated and i needed to get out of the way of a massive group of skiers approaching at high velocity
3/ falling 15 feet onto a shovel, head first(and not a scratch of my skull :D)

also, to earthpigg, i was circumcised later on in life(about 6 years ago) and remember it well. it wasn't actually all that painful. trapping your finger in a door hurts a LOT more.

earthpigg
February 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
also, to earthpigg, i was circumcised later on in life(about 6 years ago) and remember it well. it wasn't actually all that painful. trapping your finger in a door hurts a LOT more.

they use zero anesthesia when circumsizing babies - everything is felt, and the baby is strapped down. scissors and clamps all over the place. google can show you a video, im not going to link here.

chucky chuckaluck
February 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
when i fractured my elbow (slipped in the rain and straight-armed the pavement), i went into some kind of mild shock afterwards, i think (i also had the flu, so i don't really know what was going on with me). i didn't really feel a whole lot of pain. but, when i tore my right hamstring for the first time (running for first base playing softb all), that was pretty painful ( at least i was safe).

HavocXphere
February 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Had my leg in a splint for ~6 months. Then the physio decided to bend it completely with plenty of force.

Up to that point I never understood why people say they blacked out from pain. But its true...the brain just shuts down after a certain point.

kk0sse54
February 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Breaking my wrist so the bone popped out of the skin and then the subsequent setting of my wrist. Other than that for something more recent that bone marrow examination wasn't too much fun either.

linuxisevolution
February 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
You know those really high slides at community parks? I fell off the top of one and sprained both ankles -30 foot fall. After that about 6 years later I was helping someone re-shingle their roof. A crow bar slid down the side of the roof and landed on my head.
Grampap : "Watch out!"

Me: *looks up* -THUMP-

I later learned by pap grabbed the air powered stapler instead of the crow bar when everything started to fall. Ouch.

:)

sanderella
February 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Being in labour and giving birth.:(

Of course this can't compare to a real Man Pain.:popcorn:

linuxisevolution
February 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Of course not! I pull my bottom lip over my back every morning when I stretch. :)

But seriously, giving birth HAS to hurt the most. You win. :P

solitaire
February 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Worst pain for me has to either be:

When i was 6 and walking around for nearly a week with a fractured arm i'm the middle of winter with everyone saying 'there's nothing wrong with you're arm, it's just a sprain.' the look on their faces when my parents seen the x-ray was priceless.. :)

Or

Getting circumcised as a baby! Yes i felt it! But i remember the nurses that changed the dressings ;) looking back on it now.. Damm they were cute... :)

s.fox
February 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Pysically:

For me the single most painful thing i have experienced is when a narrow(ish) metal pole went through my upper right arm and out the other side. Needless to say it hurt like hell when I did it, but it doesn't really bother me that much any more. Got a pretty cool set of scars though. :)

Emotionally:

This was probably when I lost the closest thing i ever had to a mother, after my own passed away. Sort of a double whammy effect. Though I don't allow myself to dwell on it too much. All I will say that for me at least, time is a great healer.

damis648
February 15th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I've broken a few bones. :popcorn:
I broke my collar bone twice, about four years apart in the EXACT same spot twice. Just this winter, I decided to try snowboarding, bad idea :-P. I broke BOTH of my wrists, but luckily it wasn't too bad as they both healed in just a matter of a few weeks. I really can't tell you what hurt the most.:popcorn:

Martje_001
February 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
A nail through my foot..

5BallJuggler
February 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
A burst Appendix followed by Septicemia...

...That hurt like hell.

gnomeuser
February 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
at 12 I was put in the hospital for some tests. They had a trainee doctors do my lumbar puncture. He japped my spine 3 times before he hit the right spot, then because the oddjob clearly had not read his books he gave me the complete wrong advice on recovery which lead me to be unable to walk for 5 days. That ranks pretty highly on my list of painful experiences.

I also managed to poke a rusty nail all the way through my foot once while running I didn't see it poking up from the old birdfeeder and one swift stab later I was impaled. Not at all as painful as it sounds though.

xpod
February 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I`ve had a few knocks & scrapes in my time,and then some,but without doubt the most excruciating physical pain i`ve ever endured is the Carpals Tunnel Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpal_tunnel_syndrome) i`ve had for quite a few years now.
I dont get much real pain now-a-days but when it first began the pain was horrendous.I`d have bad pins & needles most of the day but i`d wake up every night at roughly the same time (3am) screaming like a stuck pig.It was like having my wrists in a vice of some sort.
That went on for a good few months before i eventually had steroid injections that actually worked,mostly.That was even more horrendous in it`s own way(big six inch spike scraped about in your wrist till he finds the "tunnel") but the actual CTS pain overtook any fear of needles i had.

TravisNewman
February 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I used to shave my head, and I decided to try out nair. Tried it on a little place on the side of my head and it was fine. So, when I did my full head, I found out I am allergic to synthetic vitamin e, just like my mom. My entire head was scabbed over. I was just in the floor in the fetal position, because I couldn't do anything else.

-jay-
February 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
when i fell from a 2 story building landing on my head that was the most pain i have ever had

ZuLuuuuuu
February 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I've always been a quite boy, so I didn't have much physical pain except for some minor strains, some of my tooth getting pulled etc... But the worst pain I got was emotionally: to break up with my girlfriend when I was still loving her, that's one hell of a decision to handle.

TombKing
February 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Kidney stone. Just not quite big enough to break it up with ultra sound.

The only thing that actually took the pain actually away was the morphine in the hospital. The ******* I took for the next 24 hours or so sorta took the edge off but man when you take 2 of those and still have to pause in your thinking cause all you can think is *f&&&ing pain*. They just didn't do much for me other than take enough of the edge off so I could get to sleep which was nice.

And before going to the ER it was bouts of running to the bathroom to have the contents of my stomach come back up. Happily the anti-nausea pills worked wonderfully.

I can't compare to child birth as I have the wrong equipment but was told by the ER doc that he has had women say that kidney stones are worse. But I can say a 3mm sharp pointy rock HURTS when it is passing through that 1mm tube from the kidney to the bladder.

eragon100
February 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
about two weeks ago when I broke a rib in a fight. Was fun tough, I won :guitar:

KuroYoma
February 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
My worst was when I was wrestling state in high school. I locked up with the guy and went for a fireman's carry. He reversed it and got behind me. Picked me up and went to through me down. I went to catch myself and locked my elbow. I bent my elbow 125 degrees the wrong way. It hurt like H*** and because I am allergic to most all liquid pain killers I had to wait 15 mins for the ambilence to arive and then 30 mins for the ride to the hospital before they could even try to dull the pain.

mohitchawla
February 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM
When I was trying to compile the kernel for Puppy and after hours of careful selection of options (I was using the simple text interface, no ncurses), I got Kernel Panic !! on reboot. Oh and the countless dreaded grub errors and the sight of initramfs shell. That was some real pain. :lolflag:

oldsoundguy
February 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM
A cut on my eyeball .. one would think that it was not that big a deal just as long as the cornea did not get cut .. the pain is continuous until it healed sufficiently .. several days!

But the worst was the pain I had after having a quadruple bypass on my heart .. they split you open like a melon and then squeeze you back closed again!

My fault ... too many trips to the hospitality table when touring!

Namtabmai
February 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM
An hour long root canal, that the dentist finally gave up on after realising that the anaesthetics she was giving me where having absolutely no effect.

insane_alien
February 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
they use zero anesthesia when circumsizing babies - everything is felt, and the baby is strapped down. scissors and clamps all over the place. google can show you a video, im not going to link here.

i too never had any anaesthetic, i have a phobia of them. it really isn't as bad as it looks. the pain subsides to mere discomfort within a few minutes and the discomfort goes away after you get used to the lack of foreskin.

kaldor
February 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I had just turned 5 and some kids and me were playing around on top of a table. One kid thought it would be funny to push me off. I put my arm out to break the fall, but, my entire body weight came down on it. I had basically snapped the elbow in half, doctors were worried that I would be unable to use my arm again

The worst part about it was when I hit the ground and started to cry; everyone ran away, and the parents were not around. I could not get help; I had to walk home about 3 minutes away with my arm in agonizing pain. My dad also remembers seeing my arm and saying it was dangling in an akward, twistwed position.

Then, weeks later when the cast came off.... the doctor had to remove the pins in my arm that kept things in place... and he used no pain killers because "I wouldn't even feel it". Yanking 2 pins out of a 5 year old's funny bone with nothing to dull the pain.. using pliers.. you can think of the results yourself :)

Now thanks to that, I can move my arm in a few different positions, and I do not feel as much pain when I bend my arm the wrong way :)

Fenris_rising
February 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
1989 I was on my first motor bike, a Kawasaki 125, going to a mates in the next town. A red BMW, in the oncoming lane, decided to pull out without indicating round a parked car into my lane. I didn't have time to move and in the collision my right foot went into his wheel arch, briefly making my foot point 180D the wrong way. The inner side of my ankle was completely fractured off, the long tarsal bones were smashed to bits and my big toe was dislocated. My right hand had 3 bones broken when it smashed the cars wing mirror off. 2 1/2 years physio and 4 operations to sort out. Now that bloody hurt! One ray of light was the nice old lady who brought blankets and a pillow and held my hand whilst I was waiting for the Ambulance. She also visited me in hospital 2 days later when my supervisor was there and he new her and introduced her as Margerate.......one time secretary to the late R.J.Mitchell <-- google if you don't know.

Emotionally watching my Mum die far too young from cancer. With a wife who begrudged me every precious moment I had left with her. Still She passed peacefully with me at her side and now I am married to someone far nicer :D

regards

Fenris

BGFG
February 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
got an acid build up under my breastbone once when i was around 10. Thought i was dying....

Eisenwinter
February 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I don't remember my "worst" experience of pain, but I do remember the one that will make most people go "ugh... *pukes*".

Summer 2006, me and a friend are playing football (real football, not american handball).

So I went over, and kicked the ball, and slipped.
My right knee slid down over to the left of the upper part of my shin, I actually heard a *cluck* sound, then moved back up into place like 2 seconds later.

That was horrible. Absolutely horrible.
I couldn't work for a few days because of that, and I limped for about a week and a half.

Certainly couldn't play football for about a month, as every kick hurt.

mamamia88
February 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
worst experience of pain probably when i pulled a muscle in my leg

imlinux
February 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
burnt my left index finger with a electric switch didn't applied any first-aid,it developed an infection and abscess after one week,had to cut the infection open,later it healed but left a scar and i still can't use my finger for typing.

myusername
February 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
i was playing dodgeball on a trampoline once when i was 10. i jumped off to get the ball but it had just rained. my knee went one way and my body went the other. i had to walk home up hill (i was at a friends house) and my parents took me to the doctor. doctor wrote it off as a sprain..gave me an ace bandage and sent me home. a couplele of weeks later i took an x-ray and found out i tore my ACL. i still haven't had surgery and im 17 now. i play footall and basketball and sometimes my knee will twist again. i just force it back in place and get up and run again haha

doorknob60
February 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Slammed (not shut) my finger in my front door. After a week or two you could actually lift up the fingernail to a 90 degree angle like a door :-D It hurt like crap for like an hour after it happened though. It was in like 3rd grade, and it was Friday the 13th.....(not kidding)

ticopelp
February 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Impacted / infected wisdom tooth. I don't recommend it.

thisllub
February 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I'll bet it was nothing compared to this guy.

http://austriantimes.at/index.php?id=11098

JackieChan
February 16th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Severe depression for several months, then slipping into early stages of psychosis. It was very psychological and emotional. It was brought on by the loss of loved one. :(

Also, once when I was a kid I sprained my knee, and my Mom never took me to get it treated. I limped around school for several weeks with a sprained knee, the pain was nearly unbearable.

WatchingThePain
February 16th, 2009, 12:15 AM
When a trainee doctor pulled out my toenail with pliers and then realised the anaesthetic had not worked. That was one of the worst. I know... it sounds like medieval torture. Let's just say some vodka got drunk after that.

handy
February 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I used to shave my head, and I decided to try out nair. Tried it on a little place on the side of my head and it was fine. So, when I did my full head, I found out I am allergic to synthetic vitamin e, just like my mom. My entire head was scabbed over. I was just in the floor in the fetal position, because I couldn't do anything else.

I don't want to make you feel self conscious or anything PT, but I must say that whenever I see your profile picture, I have always wondered what happened to your hair. ;-)

Private_Ops
February 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I haven't really had anything major like borken bones. Guess I've been lucky.

Worst I've had were wrecking my bike on my birthday (don't remember which) and tore up my knee so bad I could barely walk. Luckily it was pretty much skin deep to and I didn't wreck on pavement or small gravel (large gravel).

Second I did last year. I had a stupid moment after I had jumped out of my Blazer after pulling off the highway at a reletives. I had hust put a bolt on exhaust tip on my exhaust pipe and it had moved a little (bad design). I decided to grab it without thinking... worst decision EVER. For the maybe...one second I had my hand on it, it gave me a third degree burn on two places on my right hand. I had to drive back to town and go to the store with my mom without ANY medication or numbing spray or anything till she finally got a can of burn spray before we left the store. That was roughly an hour. It hurt so bad my hand was going numb to.

MikeTheC
February 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
For some strange reason, shortly after a near-by George Carlin show, someone handed me a piano.

Man, that hurt.

Scruffynerf
February 16th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Renal Transplant.

At one point, I seemed to become very tolerant of the painkillers.

I was told that they heard my screams on other floors of the hospital.

swoll1980
February 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
First would be a broken abscessed tooth. Second would be abdominal stab wound, didn't feel it when it happened, but couldn't move for a few days after. Third would be torn meniscus in my right knee, kept me on crutches for weeks.

anaconda
February 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
hmmm..

Lucky you,,

Interesting that most stories about pain are about physical pain...
My worst pain would have to be related to unsuccesful love... And having to see her almost every day for couple of years still deeply in love.. Teenagers can be quite cruel.

On the physical side:
1. Dentist drilling my teeth without anesthesia.
2. got kicked in the "nuts"
3. Hit my back and couldnt breathe for a while. (suffocating)
4. automobile accident (hit my head)
5. Falling from a roof (~3m)
6. Bicycle accident. Fell when driving pretty fast. The pain came afterwards, when the skin in my hands and knees started healing.
7. Got a kick on my head, and saw stars..

But you can't really compare physical and mental pain.. Mental is about 1000x worse

YaroMan86
February 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
My worst pain ever... kidney stone. Definitely.

I hear from a few reliable sources that pain is often worse than childbirth in some cases. Is that true?

Non-physical...

I'd say using Linux for a while, then using Windows and seeing jsut how painful and limited it is. That hurts, I think.

PrimoTurbo
February 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I broke my collarbone completely in half with something like a 3 inch separation. But it wasn't that painful, only the combination of living with it for 3-4 months before it healed.

Worst pain that I can remember is probably spraining my ankle after falling on it from a basketball jump.

sharon.gmc
February 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I was in love with someone and he befriended me. When we were already close, he asked me to help him with my friend whom he likes.

anaconda
February 16th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I was in love with someone and he befriended me. When we were already close, he asked me to help him with my friend whom he likes.

yep. that is painful... did you help him?

RichardLinx
February 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
In grade two our teacher made us crawl around on the floor to pick up rubbish, for some reason a nail was sticking up through the floor, It went about 3 quarters into my knee. I remember that being pretty painful.

emshains
February 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
But you can't really compare physical and mental pain.. Mental is about 1000x worse

Well, that depends on the person actually.

PythonPower
February 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Got RSI twice which is actually quite bad.
Broke my chin when I was five on a plant pot. Can't remember it.
Stepped backwards off a raised platform and fell onto my bare elbow against concrete.
Quite a lot of injuries during roller hockey. :p
Quite a few repeated wasp stings...

sujoy
February 17th, 2009, 02:14 PM
every passing day, and the thought that i could be free if i wanted to but i am not that strong, being set free would be a great feeling indeed, but then i am bound to someone ... life goes on ...

TravisNewman
February 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I don't want to make you feel self conscious or anything PT, but I must say that whenever I see your profile picture, I have always wondered what happened to your hair. ;-)
haha, well that thumb isn't exactly indicative of me. I have a full head of incredibly thick hair still. I sometimes wonder if there are hair thinning treatments, because it's so thick it's unwieldy. The nair experience did not do any permanent damage, though I was really afraid it might.

koshatnik
February 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Dislocated my shoulder mountain biking. Put it back in against a tree, with one friend pulling my arm and another friend smacking my shoulder blade from behind. That stung a bit.

Dislocated my thumb playing indoor football (soccer for you yanks:)) That stung a bit as well putting that back in.

Never broken a bone though. Fractured my foot once and that really really really hurt.

Worst pain I ever saw was my wife giving birth to our second child, with no pain relief, and no gas and air. That did look bad. I can't top that.

sydbat
February 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I've had too many physical things to remember (apparently, clumsiness is a genetic trait!!:lolflag:). However, Demerol is nice...hmmm...maybe it has nothing to do with genetics...

SushiR
February 18th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Childbirth pains! And the first week after the Cesarean. When I was trying to get out of the bed the first time it felt like they sew my belly to my thighs. I needed 15 minutes to get out of bed, another 5 minutes to walk 5 steps towards the toilet door and another 8 minutes to get my *** onto the toilet bowl - left alone creeping back into bed. Never had pains like this...

MikeTheC
February 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I sometimes wonder if there are hair thinning treatments, because it's so thick it's unwieldy.
I hate you... ;)

I mean, seriously... hair thinning treatments?

Tell ya what... you don't want it, shave it and send it here. I'll take good care of it for ya... :)

ddnev45
February 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Chronic lower back pain and the muscle spasms that go with it.

HermanAB
February 18th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Burst appendix. Baaaaaaadddd...

Kidney stones were pretty bad too.

dabomb1022
February 18th, 2009, 07:00 AM
My appendix getting taken out and getting morphine (made me dizzy)

SunnyRabbiera
February 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The time I watched Manos the Hands of Fate without MST3K

koshatnik
February 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I once watched a film with Ben Stiller in it, with no pain relief of any kind.

Man, that was painful.

sydbat
February 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I once watched a film with Ben Stiller in it, with no pain relief of any kind.

Man, that was painful.You win.

Mancman
February 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Being in labour and giving birth.:(

s'funny......I've had four kids, and never felt a thing ! [-(

But seriously, I can't compete with any of these stories...I've never even broken a bone or spent a single night in hospital, suppose I've just been lucky.
The only real pain I can think of is the usual 'ball in the nuts' whilst playing 5-a-side football (that's *real* football, for our US cousins !)...the sort where you want the earth to open up so you can fall in and just die. :cry:

craigeo
February 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
s'funny......I've had four kids, and never felt a thing ! [-(

But seriously, I can't compete with any of these stories...I've never even broken a bone or spent a single night in hospital, suppose I've just been lucky.
The only real pain I can think of is the usual 'ball in the nuts' whilst playing 5-a-side football (that's *real* football, for our US cousins !)...the sort where you want the earth to open up so you can fall in and just die. :cry:

Although it is very painful for me hearing people call soccer football. ;)
... kidney stones is tops for me for pain.