PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To WinTel?

Mark76
February 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
When did the love affair between the original portmanteau couple end?

I hear Intel has been flirting with that Linux floozy behind Redmond's back :lolflag: :D

gletob
February 16th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Ever since Apple broke up with Power-PC and got together with Intel Microsoft won't talk to Intel any more. Intel decided that Apple was better as just a friend and hooked up with Linux. Now Microsoft is seriously pissed and wrote "I HATE INTEL" all over her Myspace & Facebook pages.

BuffaloX
February 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I've been wondering a bit about that too.

I hope Intel finally realized that Microsoft doesn't matter to them.
If people don't pay for the OS, they may spend a little more money on hardware.

But There is probably much more to it.

Skripka
February 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Ever since Apple broke up with Power-PC and got together with Intel Microsoft won't talk to Intel any more. Intel decided that Apple was better as just a friend and hooked up with Linux. Now Microsoft is seriously pissed and wrote "I HATE INTEL" all over her Myspace & Facebook pages.

Ummmm...not so much. Why else do you think the Windows Vista Capable class-action lawsuit got so fired up? Because Intel was basically telling Microsoft how to package their labels.

YaroMan86
February 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Ummmm...not so much. Why else do you think the Windows Vista Capable class-action lawsuit got so fired up? Because Intel was basically telling Microsoft how to package their labels.

I thought it was because Microsoft was telling OEMs to put those stickers on clearly-not-ready PCs.

Skripka
February 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I thought it was because Microsoft was telling OEMs to put those stickers on clearly-not-ready PCs.

Intel told microsoft there would be a big cat fight--because MOST of the systems which suffered "Vista Capable" problems had Intel's on-board graphics chipsets which everyone knew weren't up to the task of any of the Vista Aero eye candy. Intel dictated to Microsoft they needed to loosen it's standards for being "Vista Capable" to include the Intel graphics chips, else Intel would lose lots of money-as NONE of their on-board chips are yet capable of running Aero well.

THAT is why there is a lawsuit. There was a lengthy article describing all these proceedings from public record emails on Ars Techinica a while back..

EDIT: article linky

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2008/03/the-vista-capable-debacle-intel-pushes-microsoft-bends.ars

Proof of Intel's involvement rests on more than Ybarra's e-mails. On February 26, 2007, general manager John Kalkman sent an e-mail discussing the changes to the "Vista Capable" definition. "In the end, we lowered the requirement to help Intel make their quarterly earnings so they could continue to sell motherboards with 915 graphics embedded. This in turn did two things: 1. Decreased focus of OEM's planning and shipping higher end graphics for Vista ready programs and 2. Reduced the focus by IHV's to ready great WHQL qualified drivers. We can see this today with Intel's inability to ship a compelling full featured 945 graphics driver for Windows Vista."

SunnyRabbiera
February 16th, 2009, 05:01 AM
The days of Wintel seem to be behind us, and yes the apple deal seemed to be good for us in a way.
Intel became receptive I think, learning from somev of the mistakes they made in the past.
Of course intel still has mistakes to fix but its catching up I feel.

MikeTheC
February 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM
+1
And Microsoft doesn't invite Intel round to tea any more.

The End.