PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 CD install: Gparted won't show sda drive as option

spaceboy909
February 15th, 2009, 06:43 AM
SOLVED!

I'm trying to overwrite a Mint installation with Ubuntu on my sda drive which is setup as a dual boot with XP/Mint right now.

When I run the LiveCD, none of the Gparted options, including manual, show the sda drive. They only show the sdb drive which has non-active (non-boot) ext3 and NTFS partitions.

How do I get it to show me the option to use my sda drive? Do I need the alternate CD for this?

x33a
February 15th, 2009, 08:19 AM
can you see the sda partition from the live cd otherwise?

spaceboy909
February 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
can you see the sda partition from the live cd otherwise?

Just checked, and yes, the LiveCD gparted does show both drives and all partitions. It seems it is only the gparted installer that won't show sda.

x33a
February 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
well then you can edit the partitions with the live cd, instead of using the installer.

spaceboy909
February 15th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Ok, got it installed, but it was still a little peculiar; I'll post the info for reference.

First, I deleted the /boot, /, and /swap partitions of Mint that I wanted to overwrite.

Upon deleting those paritions and freeing up that space, the gparted installer now offered both drives as options, and displayed all paritions from both drives (what I needed in the first place). :confused:

Then, I created 3 new Ubuntu partitions, but the installer also automatically selected an additional 4th swap partition from my old Ubuntu 8.04 on the 2nd drive. I didn't want this so I had to backup and delete that old swap partition to keep it from using it, and then I installed fine.