PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Help! My Kubuntu Freezes 30 sec after start up!!

SMG_07
February 15th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Hi guys

im a new dude at the ubuntu community .. i tried ubuntu 4 a while and then tried kubuntu and i loved it ... Err ... actually i didn't even have the chance 2 try it for more that 5 min's.. i started playing around with themes and logins screens and widgets (downloaded new stuff from kde-look.org)... and then restarted w/new login screen and it starts for like 30 seconds until a thing called Kwava.kss starts ..then it freezes every thing except the mouse ... i dont have a clue what 2 do ... the only things working are the movement the mouse and the turn off button it shut down normally when i press it No force shut downs or anything like that.

my Kubuntu is 8.10
my laptop is asus m70sa
2.50 core 2 due
4.00 GB ram
ATI RADEON HD 3650 1GB
dual boot W/windows vista
32Bit system

Plz help me i wanna use kubuntu as my only OS but how can i do that when problems keep happening :confused:

Lord Landis
February 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Did you change anything other than the login screen? Were you editing any config files? From what I can tell, Kwava.kss is a screen-saver file (most of what Google returns when searching for 'KDE .kss' refers to screen-savers, so this is my best guess), so the odds are very good that you either have a corrupt file specified for the screen-saver, or your install doesn't like that particular one.

I've seen the same sort of breakage when changing mouse themes (yes, I know it sounds weird, but it happened to me - I changed to a different mouse theme, and X broke).

Honestly though, since you've just performed the install, it might be easier to do a clean re-install than to try to repair the system.

SMG_07
February 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
yes i thought about that .kss is a screen saver cos it freezes when the kwava.kss and the window box shows a black and white 3D image trying to start or something like that ...:confused:

i guess ur right .. i'll just do a recovery to reset the system..:lolflag:

thanks a lot.. and if u still have an answer to this porblem plz share cos i don't wanna have this problem with it again.

THX :P

SMG_07
February 16th, 2009, 03:37 AM
maaaaaaaaan i screwed up BIG :cry:

i have a previous problem with my system .. some how i can't install the 8.10 version for no apparent reason :evil:

the only way to make 8.10 works is to install the 8.04 then activate the ATI card and then upgrade to 8.10 by internet

now every time i open ubuntu or kubuntu or xubuntu 8.10 (i tried them all before :( ) it gives me this wierd light brown screen with lines on the side :confused::confused: ... and the desktop is working every thing is working except that it doesn't give me a picture .. just moving lines that somehow moves the desktop actions .. like when i move the mouse the lines moves but not out of there place ... and when i press the mouse button the lines vanish for a millisecond .. look at the pic that i uploaded and please try to make sense of whats happening:confused:

and please tell me how to remove kubuntu from my HDD cos i have 2 hard disks and my first one with the windows is full:lolflag:
so i dont wanna use ubuntu for the entire second disk .. the windows vista that i have came inside the laptop (no cd ) so i dont know how to remove it exactly right :(

i'm sorry i know that these are a lot of questions to be answered and i thank you all for your support

daedalas1981
February 25th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Did you ever get this fixed? I also have a ASUS M70SA. I ran Ubuntu 8.10 Live to test and had the same problem. I also ran 8.04LTS, with success. I think Ubuntu 8.04 is using a generic video driver that loads at start, and 8.10 is using a free driver for the ATI video cards. But I've pressed Ctrl, Alt, F1 to get to the terminal, It loads up, and also has the strange lines across the text. I am clueless?

Re-POST SCREEN SHOT:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=103559&d=1234797137

SMG_07
February 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
to fix the screen problem in the asus m70 u have 2 install 8.04 and install the ATI card then upgrade to 8.10 ..that is the only thing that worked :(

since u have a asus m70 take a look at this page ... it will help U... ALOT :lolflag:

http://seethisnowreadthis.com/2008/05/19/how-to-install-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-on-the-asus-m50sv-a1/