PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy to see these laptops coming with Linux now?

gymophett
February 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I am. I'm so happy Linux is getting better known. :]
This is the newest I've seen so far: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3504708

It doesn't run Ubuntu but still. They have a Dell that comes with Ubuntu!
BTW: How popular do you think Linux will become. I think it will become about as popular as Mac one day. I think Windows will always dominate unfortunately.

BuffaloX
February 15th, 2009, 01:41 AM
It's cool we see more systems preinstalled with Linux.
But this offer doesn't seem so hot.
I thought Linspire was discontinued?

gymophett
February 15th, 2009, 01:48 AM
It's cool we see more systems preinstalled with Linux.
But this offer doesn't seem so hot.
I thought Linspire was discontinued?

I didn't think it was too great of an offer either.
And Linspire is discontinued and got purchased by Xandros.
I have no idea why that's preinstalled on there.
I would just put uprgade the ram to 512 and put Ubuntu on it.

TheOrangePeanut
February 15th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Piece of crap laptops like that are never going to help Linux become more mainstream on the desktop.

Rumbl3
February 15th, 2009, 02:03 AM
very happy even tho i'm new. To me it's all signs that linux is starting to boom and boil over into the mainstream users (the average joes who just check mail etc etc).

So i think it can only bring good things more companies support for linux etc.

abn91c
February 15th, 2009, 02:14 AM
The link it's very old, it states "not sold online", Not sold in stores"

2hot6ft2
February 15th, 2009, 02:16 AM
While it's not the best representation of Linux at least it's a start that can help to promote exposure of the general public to Linux.

Cheap hardware may tend to sour the experience for some and you know they will blame it on the Linux OS in general even if the problems are hardware related and not the fault of OS.

I don't think that Wal-Mart is actually selling them now so I'm referring to the others such as Dell, system76, and tuxtops (haven't looked at those in some time).

perlluver
February 15th, 2009, 02:19 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10726637, there you go, Linux pre-installed, and not a bad system. Hard drive space is limited, but it is intended to be a net-book I guess.

Boaslad
February 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&dgc=IR&cid=11973&lid=471885

Dell with Ubuntu. Actually old news but still cool. Fact is more and more people are switching to Linux everyday so it only makes sense that companies would catch on.

cmay
February 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
it makes me very happy that computers comes with linux preinstalled.

gymophett
February 15th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hopefully it will become in the mainstream in the next few years. I've actually noticed quite a large change just over the past two years.
I can't believe Ubuntu will always be free. :D
But if I did have to pay for it, I still would.