PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] All versions eventually fail but not Windows???

dougalkerr
February 15th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I have played with Linux on and off for about 13 years and still consider myself a newbee...
The reason is you see I am really struggling to get any version of Linux to stay on any computer I use without crashing eventually.
Recently I have had some success with Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex at work, dual booting with Vista because I have to run coporate applications made by Microsoft to fall in-line with the rest of the workforce. Ubuntu did a really good job of running most applications that were not Microsoft like our two finance packages and Firefox for our requisitioning of parts from suppliers... until one morning it simply wasn't there. I tried everything and eventually had to reinstall Ubuntu which was a shame because now I had to reconfigure X again to get things working as before but, even after using ENVY to make sure the drivers were employed correctly and the proper resolution set something was not right and the system started crashing again. I had to delete Ubuntu as it was costing me time at work...
Next I have had a lot of bother lately with my home laptop.
Well I had to call it a day with Xubuntu as it just kept crashing even though I tried the fix X option in the recovery mode options menu. So I tried installing good old Ubuntu 7.10. I ran the liveCD version and it had a lovely desktop with the correct resolution and everything so I went for the install. It all seemed to go smoothly so I went to bed feeling quite good that maybe now I had a Linux version that will behave. Uh, uh... no such deal. First thing was I had no Internet connection with my broadband. No hardware problems that I know of because I dual boot this machine with XP unless you guys no something about hardware problems that XP just ignores... so I tried installing Ubuntu 7.10 again - still no Internet. I went back to Dapper as I have always been able to use it but, just can't successfully upgrade which is a shame because my Synaptics touchpad does not function as well as it does in Windows. Anyways, Dapper will not connect to the Internet either. I reinstalled it and it did seem to stick when checking for package updates and security updates when installing but, eventually completed with no erros showing. Still no Internet. I am not familiar with how to manually get the broadband connection going in Ubuntu but, I had a look at the Networking connections and all were listed as active and the settings seemed correct compared with what I know and so I rebooted into old faithful XP. I didn't want to mind as I am determined to stick with Linux after all these years to see if I can finally master the problems and how to cure them. So here I am guys... at your mercy and looking for real lasting help.

jerrrys
February 15th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I would say that 8.04LTS would be a better choice for the workplace. And once you get it up and running, clone it or somehow back it up. Sounds like you might have received some updates that killed 8.10. And last, might want to check out Linux Mint..goodluck