PDA

View Full Version : Today's the day adobe makes linux (your help required)

SonnHalter
February 14th, 2009, 09:05 PM
OKAY! so here's what I'm going to do for this weekend and would like the whole ubuntu community do. Head over to http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

and select any product that you want or like. Write why you should think it should be ported to linux.

IF ANYONE DOES THIS IT HELPS! Adobe products are what keep a big percentage of people from switching to linux. Explain to them if you can why they should be offering their products on linux. Thank you if you do this.

Adobe reads all of these messages. If everyone does this. It will make the ports that much faster. Please contribute. Thank you. IF anyone would like to make a generic message to send in faster your welcome to do it.

smartboyathome
February 14th, 2009, 09:07 PM
They are starting to help WINE (or Google is, there seems to be confusion) be able to run Adobe products. In fact, Photoshop runs on Linux with WINE. Expect to see more products ported like that instead of natively. Since many of their more mature products would be a PITA to have to rewrite the GUI and such, they aren't going to go the native route with them.

Onoskelis
February 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Linux doesn't have enough marketshare to consider it a viable market.

SonnHalter
February 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM

yet, look at IBM's success with linux

They are starting to help WINE (or Google is, there seems to be confusion) be able to run Adobe products. In fact, Photoshop runs on Linux with WINE. Expect to see more products ported like that instead of natively. Since many of their more mature products would be a PITA to have to rewrite the GUI and such, they aren't going to go the native route with them.

Only certain versions work so far. Really only cs2. and cs3 just blows and is barely usable

binbash
February 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
They published the flash 64 bit player in 4-5 years!and i agree that linux does not have a VIABLE market share.

Rokurosv
February 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I think writing about it woudln't matter. If you showed them numbers, porcentages, facts then you might change their mind about developing native Linux products.

I-75
February 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM

With all due respect, I disagree.

If we keep using that mantra, Linux will forever have its "0.83%" market share. I believe every Linux user should do their best to increase the awareness of Linux in every way.

Linux does not have a multi million dollar ad campaign behind it. Thats why we need to spread the word ourselves. We need to get out and be heard and means contacting software companies on your own and asking them to port to Linux. If we wait for the "other guy" we won't get anywhere.

Sephoroth
February 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I agree and disagree. Is Adobe likely to port any of its products any time soon? No. Will they attempt to provide WINE support for project ports? Possibly yes.

Getting them to improve their WINE support for applications like Photoshop so that such applications work better and sooner after initial release can lower reliance on Windows or Mac OS X and in turn allow for a transition to Linux without any added fees (even if Photoshop was native, people would have to buy another license) causing a larger marketshare. Once the userspace is large enough they could begine to develop products.

Adobe can lose existing marketshare to rivals like GIMP should they not respect significant platforms (and Linux is becoming more significant with time) as user familiarity and feature count increases with such products.

SunnyRabbiera
February 15th, 2009, 12:08 AM
For me a native client would be nice but not needed, but Adobe does need a more wine friendly approach though.
I never had an issue with running things via wine, but it would be nice if more apps were friendly with it.

SonnHalter
February 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Maybe i should be mroe general. I just want adobe products to run stabily enough, wheater it nativly or through WINE

TheOrangePeanut
February 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Someone in a forum (can't remember where) brought up an interesting idea. Maybe software will never say "requires Linux kernel 2.6" but instead will say "requires WinXP, WinVista, Win7, or WINE platforms". That'd be a step in the right direction.

Twitch6000
February 15th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Someone in a forum (can't remember where) brought up an interesting idea. Maybe software will never say "requires Linux kernel 2.6" but instead will say "requires WinXP, WinVista, Win7, or WINE platforms". That'd be a step in the right direction.

Well Some Software Does say requires Linux Kernal 2.6 and above,but I would be just as happy to see what you mentioned aswell.

What I don't get though is why everyone is so in love with adobe products =/.(well okay photoshop I can understand its setup is decent along with the features)

oldsoundguy
February 15th, 2009, 05:21 AM
maybe they will start to listen soon .. they kept writing for Apple when they only had 3% of the market!

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

And the numbers are growing most of the time (had a slight loss this last month)

We CAN hope .. Adobe programs are the only real reason I have Windows computers in my place. (way too much money tied up in them to abandon them, yet alone), Linux replacements are CLOSE .. but close is the operative word.

chucky chuckaluck
February 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM
maybe they will start to listen soon .. they kept writing for Apple when they only had 3% of the market!

but, they knew apple customers were willing to pay too much.

MikeTheC
February 15th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Requested Dreamweaver CS4 or later to be ported to Ubuntu.

Just doin' my part.

MikeTheC
February 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM
but, they knew apple customers were willing to pay too much.

No, Adobe already had a couple-decade commitment to Mac OS.

wolfen69
February 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM
If we keep using that mantra, Linux will forever have its "0.83%" market share. I believe every Linux user should do their best to increase the awareness of Linux in every way.

i agree. i went to the site and made my voice heard. more people must do this in order to be taken seriously. go to the adobe site NOW!

wolfen69
February 15th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Requested Dreamweaver CS4 or later to be ported to Ubuntu.

Just doin' my part.

good man! i requested photoshop be ported.

JackieChan
February 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I will be requesting Adobe Premiere, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Dreamweaver. :)

MikeTheC
February 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Frankly, I'm a bit tired of waiting for a train that may never come (feels like it sometimes, at least) for production-ready image editing, page layout and web page design software.

This should not be construed to imply I have given up on open source, or that I think proprietary solutions should be the only solutions out there. It's just that if you want to get stuff done now, the last thing you want to do is wait for five or six years (or more) until the people working on various F/OSS projects finally mature the project enough.

Hope lives eternal, but needs won't wait forever.