PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wireless adapter causes system to hang

RobotJones
February 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have an HP Compaq desktop PC, Pentium IV, 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, XP Pro SP3, just recently reconfigured for dual-boot with Ubuntu 8.10

The installation of Ubuntu was successful, but only after I removed my wireless adapter. (It would hang just after the orange ubuntu progress bar completed). I was hoping that once installed I'd be able to plug the wireless card back into the PCI slot and then tweak Ubuntu to work with it, but once plugged in, the system hangs again.

This time the orange progress bar completes, then X is started, and then it goes to a tan screen with the "wait" cursor (I'm assuming this is gdm starting up, but I'm a newb so I'm most likely wrong). The "Wait" cursor soon freezes and it never gets to the login screen asking for username and password. It just hangs indefinitely. I've tried ctrl+alt+F1, among like 20 other combinations, but nothing stops it from hanging.

I know my wireless adapter is cheap, but it works just fine in Windows. It's a LinksKey (NOT Linksys) LKW-G553.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance for your advice.