PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to change screen resolution

reado
February 14th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Hi

First, some back story:
When I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop I had two seperate hdd's. One was mounted as /, the other was mounted as /home

No problems so far... I went into my desktop and I wanted to try and change the resolution for my desktop environment. I accidently choose a setting that apparently my monitor didn't support. A message came up on my monitor saying that "Source Not Found" type error... basically, the computer is unable to feed it data that it likes.

So I'm basically locked out of my desktop.

I followed tutorial after tutorial saying that either I should edit my xorg.conf file or delete a whole bunch of files & directories in ~ like .gnome, .gnome2, etc.

None of that worked.

The xorg file was already basically bare to begin with so there were no resolutions or anything to play around with. It basically just had a bunch of autodetects and deleting the files like .gnome2 did nothing.

I then decided to re-format my computer, but still using the first hdd as / (which got formatted) and the second as /home (which did not get formatted)

Upon trying to log in, the screen resolution is still unable to display on my monitor, leading me to believe that whatever setting was set that gave me the bad resolution must exist somewhere in /home

If it helps, I actually have the autologin feature enabled so unfortunately my account automatically gets loaded without needing the login prompt and I can see the account start to get loaded then it goes black (just before I hear the ubuntu login music)

Now, I've looked high and low and I haven't found anything.

Can someone please help me shed some light on stuff?

I can't be the first one who made a mistake choosing the wrong resolution!

Thank you so much in advance!