PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] multiple forum question (ASUS N10J)

Fragrant Seahorse
February 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hey again friends.

I'm using this linkhttp://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=315810 that I discovered on another old thread here to configure my beautiful new laptop and have encountered a slight problem that I figured somebody here could probably solve instantly.

On STEP 2 (installing the NVIDIA drivers) I have to drop down to text only, but my wireless connection disappears as soon as I do this and I can't wget the driver files.

Is there a way to reconnect to a wireless lan from text? There's a bunch of networks around here so I guess I need to be able to pick.

Thanks in advance

p.s. sorry I couldn't tell if this was the correct forum~

ALLurGroceries
February 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I guess using the wired ethernet isn't an option?

Depending on your wireless AP, if it's unencrypted, you can do a

iwconfig ap any essid any
dhclient wlan0

To associate and get an IP. You can replace 'any' with your AP's SSID/ESSID if you have lots of APs around. If you have encryption you specify that with the 'key' option to iwconfig. For more info on the iwconfig command see the man page.

If you have further problems please hit us up on NBR forums, the thread there is active. I only found your post from searching the net for 'N10J linux' while I was bored ;)

Edit: Alternatively, you could just download the NVIDIA installer files before you stop gdm/kdm, since there is no need for internet access during the installation process.

Good luck :)