PDA

View Full Version : Installing windows for the first time with XP- uum HELP!

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 04:52 AM
Hi! I am installing out hated OS. I find it makes an exelent gaming console. :D

I have never installed XP before without a restore disk- I have an XP upgrade disk that DOES work for a fresh install- I tried it on a blank PC last night.

I know I need motherboard/video card drivers, etc. What I dont know is what to do to prevent "parasites" and fix "quirks"

What codecs do I need? What do I need to get a full system together? For free?

Links are very appriciated. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you couldnt figure it out- I cannot stand windows.. But games..
I cant let my AMD 3000 and Nvidea 6600 go to any waste!

Gentoo on this rig would be really cool..

prizrak
December 22nd, 2005, 04:54 AM
www.lavasoft.de for anti spyware
google for ffdshow, real alternative, quicktime alternative for video playback
google for ac3filter for audio
google for clam anti virus it's FOSS

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 05:06 AM
Thanks! You will not believe how helpful that was!
---
Any other suggestions? :P

PS- Say I want to do dual screens- does that functionality come with the 6600?

prizrak
December 22nd, 2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks! You will not believe how helpful that was!
---
Any other suggestions? :P

PS- Say I want to do dual screens- does that functionality come with the 6600?
If you got two outputs on the card it'll dual screen.

Enter
December 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
id say get Outpost firewall, Avast Antivirus, Spybot search and destroy, for video VLC it plays everything no codecs needed etc. ANd Winamp for music

Gurgeh
December 22nd, 2005, 02:52 PM
Winamp is gay and the quality is impaired. Stick to Media Player, its gotta be the one piece of ******* I actually like :)

Enter
December 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
no way is WMP better than winamp

BSDFreak
December 22nd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Hi! I am installing out hated OS. I find it makes an exelent gaming console. :D

I have never installed XP before without a restore disk- I have an XP upgrade disk that DOES work for a fresh install- I tried it on a blank PC last night.

I know I need motherboard/video card drivers, etc. What I dont know is what to do to prevent "parasites" and fix "quirks"

What codecs do I need? What do I need to get a full system together? For free?

Links are very appriciated. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you couldnt figure it out- I cannot stand windows.. But games..
I cant let my AMD 3000 and Nvidea 6600 go to any waste!

Gentoo on this rig would be really cool..

Make sure you have SP2 handy, unplug the ethernet cable, install XP, install XP2, configure the firewall, go online, run windows update first and then download microsoft antispyware Beta, clamAV. Download your drivers (if you really need anything beyond what is available for update via Windows Update) and you are good to go.

I really REALLY hate Gentoo though, it's build processes and the portage system which takes too long to complete and still isn't really faster than anything built with -O2, in fact, in many cases it's slower. The only place where it really matters is the kernel and you can compile that on ANY system. Not to mention the worthless dependency handling in portage compared to better systems such as ports, apt-get or even the tools provided by RH and Novell.

mstlyevil
December 22nd, 2005, 04:45 PM

Go to C-Net for Adaware se personal by Lavasoft, Spybot Search and Destroy, Zone Alarm Firewall, and AVG personal antivirus. I recommend Zone Alarm over all other free firewalls because it is not crippled and it uses a lot less resources than let's say Avast. The rest of the things listed in the quote above can be found at majorgeeks.com. Clam may be foss but for Windows I would recommend the AVG antivirus because it is free and they update definitions daily. It also is one of the best updated antiviruses you can find and it has one of the highest detection rates. Sometimes the FOSS solution is not the best one for Windows.

Edit: Yes the 6600 supports dual screens. It comes with an adapter to convert the DVI pluggin to analog just for that purpose. I am not sure if the Analog pluggin can be converted to DVI though so you will probally need at least one crt monitor.

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
Thank you all!

For the dual screen I was talking about windows drivers, though I assume that was such a naieve (sp) ? that nobody thought of answering it that way!

What if I dont own SP2?

tukuyomi
December 22nd, 2005, 05:36 PM
What if I dont own SP2?
It downloads itself via Windows Update (not as a priority update).

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM
Really? Wow...

Thanks!

linbetwin
December 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
What if I dont own SP2?
If you have a legal copy of Windows (of course you have!) then you'll find SP2 (Service Pack 2) as a free update on MS Windows Update site.

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
I do.

And people call linux complex!

prizrak
December 22nd, 2005, 06:15 PM
I do.

And people call linux complex!
HAHAHA, AWESOME!

BSDFreak
December 22nd, 2005, 09:03 PM
It downloads itself via Windows Update (not as a priority update).

NO, don't do this, download the service pack and have it ready before you connect your new install to the net.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

mstlyevil
December 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
NO, don't do this, download the service pack and have it ready before you connect your new install to the net.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

I have to second this.

erikpiper
December 22nd, 2005, 09:27 PM
Downloading.

Thanks

prizrak
December 22nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
Alternatively load a firewall on before you connect to the net.
I had forgotten how much Windows installs suck........

BSDFreak
December 22nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
Alternatively load a firewall on before you connect to the net.
I had forgotten how much Windows installs suck........

Still won't protect you against the exploits, streamline a cd before you install.

And windows doesn't suck...

It blows.

erikpiper
December 23rd, 2005, 12:53 AM
I know how much they suck- I tried it already, didnt even work with onboard ethernet without drivers.

Installed Ubuntu AMB64 over it as I would need to reinstall sunday when I get my new graphics card.

Bleach.

I am going to connect as late as possible.

BSDFreak
December 23rd, 2005, 01:08 AM
I know how much they suck- I tried it already, didnt even work with onboard ethernet without drivers.

Installed Ubuntu AMB64 over it as I would need to reinstall sunday when I get my new graphics card.

Bleach.

I am going to connect as late as possible.

No system i have EVER tried has worked with all of my hardware without tweaking, that goes for Linux (in various distros) BSD (in three flavors) Solaris (as in Solaris and OpenSolaris) or windows (as in NT and XP).

Cool, just make sure to install sp2 before you connect and you'll be fine.

prizrak
December 23rd, 2005, 07:38 AM
No system i have EVER tried has worked with all of my hardware without tweaking, that goes for Linux (in various distros) BSD (in three flavors) Solaris (as in Solaris and OpenSolaris) or windows (as in NT and XP).

Cool, just make sure to install sp2 before you connect and you'll be fine.
Interestingly enough every Linux on every machine I installed it on detected everything. The only time I had to load a driver myself with Linux was my Atheros based card, but the madwifi driver doesn't even need to be compiled (even though it wasn't Ubuntu).

Still won't protect you against the exploits, streamline a cd before you install.
It worked for me all these years ;)

And windows doesn't suck...
It blows.

Just to be fair, I didn't say that Windows itself sucked, only the installs :)

BSDFreak
December 23rd, 2005, 08:43 AM
Interestingly enough every Linux on every machine I installed it on detected everything. The only time I had to load a driver myself with Linux was my Atheros based card, but the madwifi driver doesn't even need to be compiled (even though it wasn't Ubuntu).

Linux is probably the best systme to recognize hardware of all of them, i'm not saying that it is not.

It worked for me all these years ;)

To be honest, a user with a spyware packed, virus infested computer that still runs IE, OE and their favorite game will say that it works just fine.

Just to be fair, I didn't say that Windows itself sucked, only the installs :)

And i never said i disagree with you on that point. ;)