PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help please

hoha7
February 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
i got my ubuntu cd and startd installing it but it would hang after the orange bar moves to and fro and it starts loading (at about 18%)..

i tried alternate install ..it was succesfull but ubuntu took a lot of timee to start up and then after ntering my username and pass it would freeze
my pc is above the requirements needed for ubuntu to run

help me!!!!!!!:sad:

x33a
February 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
first,check the md5 checksum of the downloaded iso. the, try burning a new disc at low speed. after the burn is complete, again check the disc for any errors. then proceed with the installation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

hoha7
February 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
there ar no errors on the cd ,i burned it at the lowest speed possible(8x) on the cd and checked the md5 checksum of iso but still no gud

binarypill
February 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
when you insert the CD, use the "check CD for defects" function. it will take some time but this ensures that you're installing from a good burn.

if you have a bad install, you probably just have to reinstall. in my experience, a good ubuntu install is one when you can actually get into the "live cd" session of ubuntu. this way, you are assured that your hardware can handle ubuntu.

hoha7
February 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
btw i got this cd(normal ubuntu) from shipit so it must be fine and i have chcked it nd no errors and again geet stuck on the orange bar thing and the cd sounds like it has stoped roating

linux_tech
February 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
If you have trouble installing from the live cd, then give the alternate cd a try

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

hoha7
February 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
i had tried it too and it worked fine but when ubuntu starts to load it takes 10 mins and thn ftr entering pass and username it freezes

x33a
February 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
if you are absolutely sure that the cd is fine, then there might be a problem with your hardware.

check the hard drive for defects using a bootable disc like system rescue disc. or if you are dual booting, run chkdsk and/or other hard drive utility.

hoha7
February 14th, 2009, 08:11 PM
k i did the check disc and it the same prob during install
but i waited long n some screen comes up where infront of everything comes permission denied and in the last "eexecution of /bin /(something like sh) failed"

x33a
February 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
so did you manage to install? if you didn't i think you should download ubuntu iso from the net and then use that. (assuming you are using the shipit version).

yeats
February 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
sounds like a bad CD rom drive to me, having lived through that same situation. If your main goal is getting Ubuntu installed, you should download a fresh image of the alternate CD and install that way. If that doesn't work you should look into either replacing the CD ROM or using alternate installation methods. (IMHO)

theozzlives
February 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'd try memtest +86... sounds like a memory problem to me

hoha7
February 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
okay ill try to download the version and will post the results tomm...(i have already tried the alternate install)

hoha7
February 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM
n ill try memtest +86 too

hoha7
February 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
downloaded the ubuntu image and wrote to cd (lowest speed) and tried mem test (no problems) but still no gud............

x33a
February 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM
test your hard-drive for defects.

lswest
February 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
If your computer supports booting from USB and you have a 1GB USB stick, you can use UNetBootin (http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/) to "burn" the CD image to the USB to circumvent the CDRom drive (if that is indeed the problem). I'd give it a shot.

hoha7
February 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
i will try wht lswest has said ......