PDA

View Full Version : vbox inside a vbox inside a vbox inside a vbox

swoll1980
February 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Have any of you tried to run a virtual machine inside a virtual machine?. If so have you tried it multiple times? How many times can you do this you think? Maybe we can have a contest, post a screen shot or something.

pol666
February 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
hahahaha It's the most useful thing that I heard ever xD but, it's looks interesting,

I guess it's depends only the RAM avaliable that you have, or you gives to the VBox,

3rdalbum
February 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Back when Connectix made Virtual PC and Virtual Game Station, they put a special check in VGS to make sure it wasn't running inside Virtual PC. It displayed a "Nice try, haha" dialog if you tried it :-)

I wonder if Virtualbox would have the same thing? Some viruses can detect if they are running on virtualised hardware, so I'm sure the virtualiser itself can.

billgoldberg
February 14th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Back when Connectix made Virtual PC and Virtual Game Station, they put a special check in VGS to make sure it wasn't running inside Virtual PC. It displayed a "Nice try, haha" dialog if you tried it :-)

I wonder if Virtualbox would have the same thing? Some viruses can detect if they are running on virtualised hardware, so I'm sure the virtualiser itself can.

Sure they might detect it, but that's not a reason to not allow it.

I would try it but I don't think I'll get many instances running with my 2gb of ram. Maybe if I use DSL?

Sand & Mercury
February 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I only tried running one inside another, it worked fine. I was curious to try more, but I got cbf-itis.

jimi_hendrix
February 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM
cbf-itis?

swoll1980
February 14th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I only have 768mb ram so I can hardley run one of them

icp
February 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I have installed ubuntu in dual-boot whit vista on virtualbox.
:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Onyros
February 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
On a somewhat similar note, I once VNC'd to a Mac box and then rdesktoped (TSClient X) to a Windows server, opened up a Linux VM there and VNC'd to my FreeBSD server which is running in a VM, on a Linux host. Not content with that I rdesktoped to my server's virtual display (Virtualbox) and put the windows side by side.

Show-off to a company's IT manager which said Windows is the sysadmin's dream, Linux is for geeks.

dannytatom
February 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I thought of trying this once, but I don't see it working with my 1 gig of ram. :/

MaxIBoy
February 15th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I have run Quake inside of DOSBox under WINE on a LiveCD on a computer with 384 Mb RAM. I needed to run it at 320*240.

That is the closest I've come to what the OP describes.

Kopachris
February 15th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Reminds me of the XKCD comic... *searches google* http://xkcd.com/350/
Looks like fun. :)

On a somewhat similar note, I once VNC'd to a Mac box and then rdesktoped (TSClient X) to a Windows server, opened up a Linux VM there and VNC'd to my FreeBSD server which is running in a VM, on a Linux host. Not content with that I rdesktoped to my server's virtual display (Virtualbox) and put the windows side by side.

Show-off to a company's IT manager which said Windows is the sysadmin's dream, Linux is for geeks.
Hmm... I wonder if I could VNC into my Mac, then VNC back to my Linux system... :twisted:

swoll1980
February 15th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I'm wondering how the display would work, because the resolution would get crazy if you were running them windowed

swoll1980
February 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I have to try this. What is the fastest installing distro that has easy to install vbox binaries?

etnlIcarus
February 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
cbf-itis?

That should be CBF-itis: Can't Be Fuuu...ussed - itis (think tonsillitis).

Sand & Mercury
February 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM
That should be CBF-itis: Can't Be Fuuu...ussed - itis (think tonsillitis).
Glad to see there are a few people who can get their head around my obscure sense of humor and cold-blooded murder of the English language. :lol: