PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to change file associations for KDE programs in Gnome?

m4cph1sto
February 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid with Gnome. I use various KDE programs, such as BasKet Note Pads. I want to change the default applications used to open various file types (e.g. PDFs) by KDE programs. The "old" way to do it was to simply run kcontrol and change the file associations. However, there is no kcontrol in Intrepid (ugh!). I installed KDE systemsettings and kdebase (not kdebase-workspace), and when I run systemsettings, I get just a blank window with no settings. Running systemsettings from a terminal gives the following output:

findServiceByDekstopPath: not found
systemsettings(16603) MainWindow::readMenu: "" Looking for children in ' "" '

My question is: how can I change the default application file associations for my KDE programs? Is there a config file I can manually edit? Is there a simple way to get systemsettings to run without a full KDE desktop installation (I want to save disk space by not having a full KDE installation). Thanks for your help!

dabdiputs
September 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Did you ever solve this problem? I am having the same problem (with BasKet Note Pads) and I'm not that familiar with KDE. Any suggestions?