PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop fails to load after fresh install

hlmindustries
February 14th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I just installed ubuntu 8.10 and everything worked flawlessly, it installed everything properly (from what I saw) and everything worked quite allright, it tooka while though [about 40 minutes... or more]

anyways im using ubuntu 8.10 desktop addition, I got it from the bit torrent link (its ALWAYS faster that way for me) and I can login ok, but after I put in my password all I see is the orange background... ill leave it like that forever and nothing happens... and the powerbutton shutdown signal doesnt work... it doesnt commence shutdown, I have to unplug the power cord...

help please?

PC specs:
Dell Dimension 2400 w/ previous windows XP
780mb ram (8mb alloted to onboard video memory)
external usb sound card
Dell e2790p (not sure about the model) 19'[inch] flatscreen lcd monitor
need anything else?

EDIT: I overwrote my windows xp partition (complete first logical and physical drive) and placed ubuntu there

also, the recovery console gices all [OK] signals when going through initial startup... its checking the files as I... type

Taemojitsu
February 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM
i've never used the net install. What environment does it do it from, windows?

It's possible the installation failed, even tho it didn't seem to. You should try downloading the .iso file onto another computer, burning it as a CD, and then try to boot from that CD on your broken computer :​(

This also helps, because if it can load the LiveCD environment, then it also has all the drivers and compatibility needed to use the full installation.

hlmindustries
February 14th, 2009, 04:31 AM
this is essentially what I did.. I think you read it wrong..

windows xp was previously on this.. I went to ubuntu.com/get/download and selected bit torrent

when it finished (in about 15 minutes) I burned it to a cd with nero 7 burning ROM and data verification completed with no problems (I burned at 4x with a 52x cd and 48x burner) then I restarted and the installer loaded (I dont think the cd I got is a LiveCD) I went through it fine... all went well.. I can determine that the system becomes unresponsive, because while rapidly pressing the X lock (replace X with scroll,num, or caps) key repeatedly it eventually freezes the light, but the mouse can still move.. attempting to update files from the recovery mode fails on all files...

does this explain a little better?

EDIT: I am getting alot of I/O buffer errors on the cd... is this something worth worrying over? (im attempting to reinstall with a different network adapter.. one that works.