PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Multifunctional Ubuntu server?

_Leprince
February 14th, 2009, 03:26 AM
First post here,
I have a few questions that I feel my researches on the net have not answered.
Lets establish the facts.
My roomates are moving out in a few weeks and for the occasion I'll probably rearrange the servers and workstations, and buy an HDTV.

My problem is this:
I want to have only one physical server. And I'd like to have a media center that can be hooked up on the TV and that allows me to stream whatever content I have on the server to the TV, or whatever music I have on the fileserver (which remember I'd like it to be the same machine) through the sound system hooked to the TV.

So,
Here are the questions
1 - Is it possible to have one physical server that would be a file server, a media center, a cacti monitoring station (uses MySql and PHP5, has a webserver), and a torrent box?
2 - I plan to run that on a RAID 10 array of 4 or 6 drives (budget and actual motherboard decides) Is it safe or advisable to run the OS on such an array? Is it simple to setup the os this way? Would it be simpler/safer to run the os on a different disk?
3 - I basically ask you guys because I'm sure that somewhere, something will conflict with something else along the way so if something wasn't going to work from the start, I'd hope for you guys to point it out.
4 - For the media center: I've heard of MythTV and XBMC, are there other(better) alternatives?
5 - I dont plan to plug in a keyboard nor a mouse (except at the start, for the install) in this server, inputs will go through an hauppauge remote and receiver. Is there any problem with that?

Here is the hardware on which all this is going to run.

AMD Athlon X2 4200+
512 Mb Ram
4 (or 6) 250 Gb drives in RAID 10 (if possible)
a discrete graphics solution @ 128MB RAM (cant remember model/name)

Any other input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Taemojitsu
February 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
if you don't get an answer here, advise another forum.. haha but I don't know what else to say :​p My own thread here, about nvidia drivers, went unanswered. This forum seems to be more on the line of 'GRUB is not working' or partition issues.