PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] switching from xp to ubuntu

latinamami2
February 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
so i am wanting to switch one of my computers to ubuntu from xp to try it out. i am thinking that i am going to like it very much. the problem is that i know about computers as far as the student and professional level but not on the technical level. I do not know how to switch from one os to another. once i download the cd, will it do things automatically? I basically need to know what and how to switch to ubuntu, without running windows as well (i dont think i have the space to do both) and i need this help in everyday terms. As I said, i understand the computer just not the technicalities.

thank you in advance to anyone with help.
:popcorn:

it is an older laptop, im thinking i will need xubuntu ???

ALIENDUDE5300
February 14th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Hi, I might be able to help, but are you planning on completely replacing Windows with Ubuntu, or do you wish to dual-boot (have both operating systems installed at once, and be asked which you want to use when the system starts up)? Most likely, you will not be able to use all of your windows applications under Ubuntu (you may be able to run several of them with Wine).

Muffinabus
February 14th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Well first off, you can try out Ubuntu without actually installing it by burning the Live CD and booting from it, so you can see if you want to even proceed from there.

If you do decide you want to proceed, and you said you want to completely remove Windows? Doing this will remove all your files that you may have saved in Windows, so if you'd like to save something, back it up. After you've done so, you can install the OS while you're booting from the Live CD by clicking on the desktop icon. Just tell Ubuntu that you want it to use the whole disk and it will pretty much take over from there.

bodhi.zazen
February 14th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Using Ubuntu is no more or less technical then using Windows, it is just a matter of learning a new way of doing things.

Try the live CD and be willing to learn, learn, learn.

latinamami2
February 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
i guess trying it out is not a bad idea. so i will go to my desktop and download the live cd. if i do like it i am planning on completely eliminating windows. i recently purchased a netbook, so all my files are already deleted from this laptop. if i like ubuntu i am eventually planning on replacing the xp on my netbook with the unbuntu remix, since it takes up less space.:KS

ugm6hr
February 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Have a look at the Start here thread linked below.

If you have less than 512MB RAM, I'd suggest Xubuntu.

If 256MB or less, use the Xubuntu Alternate CD. If 128MB or less, even Xubuntu will be slow.

latinamami2
February 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM
so do i just download the latest version from the website, or is there another place where i would download the live cd? just want to make sure

jmszr
February 14th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Latinamami2,
I have found this to be most helpful when starting out: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/ - if you can post the specs of your computer we can tell which distribution is best suited for your computer. Also the Free Beginners Guide at the top of the sticky list on the first page of the Absolute Beginner forum or here: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/.

Edit: I see (after bothering to look) that ugm6hr has all this covered.

latinamami2
February 14th, 2009, 01:09 AM
thhank you for the start here link.
it looks like this is what i will be needing as far as instructions, i just didnt know where to look for it.

Alterax
February 14th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Skimming over the posts, I'm actually somewhat surprised to have not noted any suggestions for Wubi. Since the machine is already running XP, if you're not entirely comfortable with the initial installation (which, I assure you is quite easy), you might try downloading and running the Wubi installer, which runs on Windows to make a dual-boot system.

Alterax
February 14th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Sorry about that...didn't notice the bit about not being certain you have enough space.

What you'll need to do once you download the CD-ROM image, is to burn that image to a CD. The built-in cd-burning program that Windows has does NOT create a bootable CD, so you'll need to run something capable of burning a disk from an ISO image. That'll create a bootable CD image.

Once that is done, you'll need to boot from that CD. Most computers are set to boot from CD-ROM, so if it doesn't boot, you may need to go into your BIOS settings to change your boot order. You'll see something briefly before boot on which key to press--usually it is [Del], [F1], or [F10].

Once the CD boots, you are good to go. Follow thi instructions that the installer gives, and you'll be set.

As far as which distro to use, I tend to switch between Ubuntu and Xubuntu myself. That said, I recommend to go with the standard Ubuntu Intrepid install, because there is more information in the forums on how to work with it.

ALIENDUDE5300
February 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
so do i just download the latest version from the website, or is there another place where i would download the live cd? just want to make sure

If you don't want to play with Ubuntu before you install it, I honestly think the alternative cd is a MUCH better option. It's much quicker to set-up and install Ubuntu with the alternative CD, and it's not any more difficult. The only reason I think people install with the Live CD even if they don't plan on testing it before installing is because they are uncomfortable with not being able to select things using the mouse during the installation since it isn't in the graphical environment yet.

ALIENDUDE5300
February 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Skimming over the posts, I'm actually somewhat surprised to have not noted any suggestions for Wubi. Since the machine is already running XP, if you're not entirely comfortable with the initial installation (which, I assure you is quite easy), you might try downloading and running the Wubi installer, which runs on Windows to make a dual-boot system.

He said that he wanted to completely replace XP. Also, with Wubi, once you install it the first time, you can NOT enlarge the virtual partition. You have to keep it the same size, which could be an issue if you plan on using Ubuntu a lot.

ugm6hr
February 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM

I recommend using Torrent to download (see link below).

Torrents auto-check the file, so are less prone to corrupted downloads.

If you do go for Xubuntu, just download from http://xubuntu.org/get

EDIT: You will probably want the i386 iso file (for 32-bit). Desktop (aka LiveCD) or Alternate dependent on preference / RAM availability.

ALIENDUDE5300
February 14th, 2009, 01:29 AM
I recommend using Torrent to download (see link below).

Torrents auto-check the file, so are less prone to corrupted downloads.

If you do go for Xubuntu, just download from http://xubuntu.org/get

Torrents also save Ubuntu mirrors bandwidth since all transfers are done over Peer-to-Peer networking. However, some ISPs like Comcast throttle your BitTorrent connections, giving you horrible speeds, in which case, you should use a direct download over HTTP.

ugm6hr
February 14th, 2009, 01:30 AM
The only reason I think people install with the Live CD even if they don't plan on testing it before installing is because they are uncomfortable with not being able to select things using the mouse during the installation since it isn't in the graphical environment yet.

There is a lot more documentation (including screenshots etc) for the LiveCD than Alternate. The ubuntu homepage also defaults to recommending the LiveCD.

Nevertheless, you are of course right - the AlternateCD is quicker. But I think for first time installers, it is more comforting to be able to pick options with the mouse.

Alterax
February 14th, 2009, 02:10 AM
He said that he wanted to completely replace XP. Also, with Wubi, once you install it the first time, you can NOT enlarge the virtual partition. You have to keep it the same size, which could be an issue if you plan on using Ubuntu a lot.

See the post that immediately followed the one you referenced.

latinamami2
February 14th, 2009, 02:46 AM
so if i understand that correctly, once i burn it as an iso image onto the cd, and insert into my computer and start my computer it should start to install from that point?

theozzlives
February 14th, 2009, 02:49 AM
so if i understand that correctly, once i burn it as an iso image onto the cd, and insert into my computer and start my computer it should start to install from that point?

yes

latinamami2
February 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM
ok great, originally i had downloaded to a flash drive, hoping that if i liked it i could use it on my mini. That didnt work out because i didnt read the iso part until now. plus my computer that i was downloading from kept trying to format the cds first which made me have just short of the amount of space i needed...go figure.

so now i am going to go download an iso burner and make sure that it doesnt format. then hopefully i will be riding the U!!! :)

ugm6hr
February 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM
You can install from USB if the laptop will boot from USB (check BIOS).

You will need unetbootin: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

This converts the iso (CD) file to a USB bootable version (further instructions https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Automatic%20Approaches )

As for the Mini, there is a Dell specific version for the Mini 9, which I think is probably worth using. The iso for that must be available somewhere, since the CD I got with mine did say I was free to distribute it.