PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Full Featured Text Editor(s), looking for

edpatterson
February 13th, 2009, 11:56 PM
It is not my intention to start a holy war, but I am looking for a full featured graphical text editor.

I am a recent convert to Ubuntu and am sorely missing my favorite editors, Boxer and Primal Script. I have gotten Boxer (my all time favorite since OS/2 days) to work with Wine, but I can not figure out how to use it with elevated rights without breaking the cardinal rule and running wine via sudo. Sigh.

I am editing HTML|PHP|CSS along with Perl and some bash scripts.
Basic features I want/need:
Color Syntax Highlighting
Auto Indent
Column Select
Column Sort
Macros
Keystroke recording
Keystroke playback
FTP

TohBee
February 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM
try (x)emacs

it:guitar:

Simian Man
February 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Try kate. If you do, be sure to use the version from 3.5 or 4.2 because the ones in between are fairly broken. The "external tools" plugin is awesome.

apostate
February 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I would agree, Kate meets the bill. It is a KDE app, and while I actually really like KDE apps in KDE, for some reason it bugs me to use them under Gnome. I might just be neurotic. Kate does truly rock. Anyway, Bluefish is another one to look at, gedit is actually quite serviceable for basic coding, but doesn't have some of those features. If I need more power than gedit has, I'd say go Bluefish. I also (gasp) use VIM for work, as the newer builds are so user friendly for a console app it almost takes the l33t factor out of coding in VI. :-)

Seriously.

sdennie
February 14th, 2009, 03:22 AM
it almost takes the l33t factor out of coding in VI. :-)

Blasphemy!

oldos2er
February 14th, 2009, 04:13 AM
FTP in a text editor? I need to get out more....

edpatterson
February 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
FTP in a text editor? I need to get out more....
Dang handy, ftp to the file, download it, edit to your hearts content, ftp it back all with out leaving the editor. I figured that would have been one of the more common features.

geirha
February 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Dang handy, ftp to the file, download it, edit to your hearts content, ftp it back all with out leaving the editor. I figured that would have been one of the more common features.

I think its more common to use version control now adays.

hyper_ch
February 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I used kate for a very long but now I switched to jedit.

It's java based and has lots of enhancements. Two you'll certainly need are the (s)ftp and tab enhancements. Give it a try.

matthew.ball
February 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Have you tried (looked at) Geany, I was very fond of Notepad++ on Windows (I don't know the 2 you listed), and Geany seems to be exactly that (and more).

Pretty similar to (what I have seen/used of) Kate, but for GNOME :)

cb951303
February 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Gedit has FTP out of the box and AFAIK all the futures you want through plugins.

Here is a guide to set gedit as a web dev ide: http://www.micahcarrick.com/09-29-2007/gedit-html-editor.html :popcorn:

PS: you might want to install gedit-plugins package for extra plugins.
Also don't underestimate the power of "External tools" plugin :) You can make it do what ever you want!
For example, you can install csstidy package and use it like I do in screenshot