PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] USB keyboard/mouse not working.

Gil-Galad75
February 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I'm trying to install Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on a Compaq Presario SR1617CL machine.

AMD Sempron 3200+ @ 1800 MHZ (9 x 200)
Asus A8AE-LE (Amberine)
ATI Radeon XPRESS 200, AMD Hammer
1216MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS: Award (09/13/05)
HID Keyboard Device
Logitech USB WheelMouse

This is some information in Everest. However, I do not have a Logitech Wheelmouse, it's a Gateway optical mouse, unless Logitech manufactured the mouse. The HID Keyboard is also USB and is one I bought at a local computer store. The BIOS appears to be Compaq, I do not see where it says Award. That's what Everest says.

Here is the situation. I installed Xubuntu 8.04 on Drive C, as a dual boot with Windows XP Home. I did not have USB keyboard or mouse control during the installation. The installation appears to be complete, as far as I know. Once I reboot and get to the log-in screen, I still do not have any keyboard or mouse control.

I wonder how I can get both of these devices to work so that I can continue with the installation. No error message has been given as to what the problem could be.

Note: I cannot use P/S 2 ports, because they do not function. I was able to use USB keyboard and mouse in Windows XP just fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer any suggestions.

Gil-Galad75
February 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Can someone assist me with this problem, it's been over a day and I haven't been able to figure out anything on my own yet.

Mark Phelps
February 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Don't understand ... you said that the PS/2 ports don't work and that you didn't have the USB keyboard or mouse plugged in when you installed Xubuntu -- so, how exactly, did you install it without a working keyboard or mouse?

Do you have them plugged directly into your machine, or do you have them plugged into a hub?

Gil-Galad75
February 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Don't understand ... you said that the PS/2 ports don't work and that you didn't have the USB keyboard or mouse plugged in when you installed Xubuntu -- so, how exactly, did you install it without a working keyboard or mouse?

Do you have them plugged directly into your machine, or do you have them plugged into a hub?

After reading my post, I can see that the post is somewhat confusing.

To clarify as best as I can. I am using a working USB keyboard and mouse, that works in Windows XP. The P/S 2 mouse and keyboard ports do not work at all (the ports don't work, they are not physically busted). When I try to install Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, I have no USB mouse or keyboard control at all. I am not using a USB hub.

To update a bit. I downloaded Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex. I have USB keyboard and mouse control during the install up until the next step in the installation occurs which I think is the desktop. The screen goes black, nothing else happens after that.

During the bootup process, before any graphic display, I have an error that says "Unable to load the system description tables".

I have been unable to figure this problem out. Any suggestions.