PDA

View Full Version : This is awesome!

JECHO
February 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Ok so I am on my desktop machine which is running ubuntu 8.10 and I have one of Microsofts gaming keyboards hooked up to it...

I was bored and just randomly decided to try to push the volume controls, eject button, home shortcut key, mail shortcut key, etc. on my keyboard and all of them work. haha! I was not expecting that. I mean i know ubuntu is on its game with drivers and stuff but thats awesome! I have had Ibex on here for a while now and never discovered my shortcut keys work until now ha!

Also, im not new to linux. I have been using it as my primary OS for about 3 years now but never really bothered with the keyboards shortcut keys on my desktop comp.

just thought i would share my new experience. haha im excited.:guitar:

HermanAB
February 14th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Hmm, I actually found the new functionality quite annoying, since whenever I accidentally press the mail key, the useless and buggy KDE Kontact slooooooowly comes up.

Cheers,

Herman

cim
February 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
lol nice

yther
February 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Heh, there's even a daemon for the Logitech G15 that will... well, I have it but I haven't really done anything with it yet. >_< Still, I'm glad it's there.

One of the reasons I decided to stick with Ubuntu (was using Gentoo on my older stuff) was that it supported the multimedia buttons on my laptop without me having to tweak anything. I know it's possible to configure that sort of thing myself, but these days I am not in the mood for DIY stuff like Gentoo.

Now, if I could just get as excited about Gnome or KDE as I was the first day I tried AfterStep... ;)

blueshiftoverwatch
February 14th, 2009, 02:07 AM
The only multimedia buttons that work on my Compaq keyboard are the volume buttons. But I never use any of them anyway.

JECHO
February 14th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Hmm, I actually found the new functionality quite annoying, since whenever I accidentally press the mail key, the useless and buggy KDE Kontact slooooooowly comes up.

Cheers,

Herman

yeah i hear you... im not really a fan of KDE. especially KDE4. still seems too buggy.

stormtrooprdave
February 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Is there a way to change them as mine do the wrong thing?

Mr. Picklesworth
February 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Is there a way to change them as mine do the wrong thing?

Yep. If you're in GNOME, look under System Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts.

stormtrooprdave
February 14th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Yep. If you're in GNOME, look under System Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts.
Great! Thanks

kyroha
February 14th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Funny, I just discovered the exact thing a few days ago. I had always just assumed they didn't do anything because I never set anything up, but lo and behold they just worked. It's little changes that is making the desktop experience better and better.