PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opinion on 9.04?

frankwakeman
February 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty much intending to do a fresh install of 8.10 tomorrow, having settled down with it in my first six weeks of tinkering with Linux but having been a bit clumsy along the way. I know what I want installed now and where and could make things smoother and tidier, instead of having files everywhere related to things I had hoped to uninstall etc. With the new one only two months away maybe I should just wait. What is opinion like at the moment on 9.04? I've only found 'reviews' of it from not long after 8.10 came out. Are there any admirable new features? Does it work well with Mobile Broadband (The Ubuntu family is the best of the lot admittedly.) By which I mean the little USB 3G dongles like my Vodafone one.

And is it 'more of the same' as far as speed goes, i.e. is it slower, as people who've always used Ubuntu seem to say it's got slower with each version? I'm hoping to put it on both my 1.3 ghz pc and my year-old laptop.

Lastly do Xubuntu and Kubuntu come out later than Ubuntu or the same day? I may try Xubuntu on the older machine though it is doing well with Mint 6.

Thanks.

gjoellee
February 13th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty much intending to do a fresh install of 8.10 tomorrow, having settled down with it in my first six weeks of tinkering with Linux but having been a bit clumsy along the way. I know what I want installed now and where and could make things smoother and tidier, instead of having files everywhere related to things I had hoped to uninstall etc. With the new one only two months away maybe I should just wait. What is opinion like at the moment on 9.04? I've only found 'reviews' of it from not long after 8.10 came out. Are there any admirable new features? Does it work well with Mobile Broadband (The Ubuntu family is the best of the lot admittedly.) By which I mean the little USB 3G dongles like my Vodafone one.

And is it 'more of the same' as far as speed goes, i.e. is it slower, as people who've always used Ubuntu seem to say it's got slower with each version? I'm hoping to put it on both my 1.3 ghz pc and my year-old laptop.

Lastly do Xubuntu and Kubuntu come out later than Ubuntu or the same day? I may try Xubuntu on the older machine though it is doing well with Mint 6.

Thanks.

Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Edubuntu releases are always released on the same day. However talking about Xubuntu and old machines...Xubuntu is not light at all! Xubuntu is all about choosing to use XFCE, which is lighter then GNOME because it has less applications installed by default.

Xfce uses GTK+, and that does actually make it a fork of GNOME. Xfce is modyfied GNOME with less applications by default. Mousepad in example is just a modyfied version of Gedit which contains less features.