PDA

View Full Version : Gnome 3.0 disappointment

yse
February 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I am the only one disappointed with next Gnome?

check pics.. and comment.

http://live.gnome.org/Boston2008/GUIHackfest/WindowManagementAndMore

I guess I KDE will have something better to show.

Closed_Port
February 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Huh, you link to some mockups from last year and declare that you are disapointed?
Wow...

Now if you had atleast tried gnome-shell for example, to actually get a feel of the direction it's going, but this.
I really don't no what to say.:confused:

emshains
February 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Well, the window theme (borders) pretty much suck, but everything else looks great. And you will be able to use whatever themes/mods you want to, so no worries about it. As long as gnome will be faster and more stable on old systems, it will be kde's superior.

myusername
February 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
its like they're trying to cater to the netbook crowd or something

yse
February 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Huh, you link to some mockups from last year and declare that you are disapointed?
Wow...

Now if you had atleast tried gnome-shell for example, to actually get a feel of the direction it's going, but this.
I really don't no what to say.:confused:

check the page header:

"Boston2008/GUIHackfest/WindowManagementAndMore (last edited 2009-01-10 20:31:03 by MairinDuffy)"

Sand & Mercury
February 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I find it hard to be disappointed by something that still has not even established a clear direction yet, let alone any real concrete planning, let alone any actual development, let alone any media in existence to form an opinion at all...

Closed_Port
February 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
check the page header:

"Boston2008/GUIHackfest/WindowManagementAndMore (last edited 2009-01-10 20:31:03 by MairinDuffy)"

So? They are still old mockups and you still didn't even try what the mockups were about, though the code is out there and you still complain about old mockups.

lykwydchykyn
February 13th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Looks kind of cool to me, not that I'm planning on using it.

I'd withold judgement until the beta arrives.

gjoellee
February 13th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Because there is still 1 year or so before GNOME 3.0 will come out it will most likely be hardcore changes, but the concept looks promising! I still think GNOME is to 2D-ish. GNOME graphics has to become more 3D-ish.

Slug71
February 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Damn. Its still just over a year away untill its released. Chill!

Stan_1936
February 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
...next Gnome?

check pics.. and comment.....

Oh dear.....I hope NOT!!!

pol666
February 13th, 2009, 10:33 PM
It's Only a mockup!! ¬¬

Quake
February 13th, 2009, 10:34 PM
These are sketches, if you don't like them, get your opinion out there. But I think it's too early to judge an unreleased product.

It's like saying you don't like a game long before it's released...

days_of_ruin
February 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The gnome shell is teh coolage.:guitar:

Mr. Picklesworth
February 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Ditching the panel is enough for me.

The vision for gnome-shell is interesting, too. They are maintaining suport for both a document and application centric workflow (since we have learned that different kinds of software prefer different metaphors), and with this they are sort of bridging the gap between closed and open applications. The big thing is dragging a launcher (or a document) out of the sidebar and into the workspace and then it opens up where you dropped it. That's awesome.
More will undoubtedly follow.

Oh, and it looks and feels awesome. This involves a really amazing improved Metacity with compositing effects galore, done in a tasteful way that makes things feel smoother, more consistent and more integrated.

pol666
February 13th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Where will be the taskbar? At the top?; It's should be at the bottom, In a Dock like Osx.

gnomeuser
February 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Because there is still 1 year or so before GNOME 3.0 will come out it will most likely be hardcore changes, but the concept looks promising! I still think GNOME is to 2D-ish. GNOME graphics has to become more 3D-ish.

There a hackfest coming up which will focus on nothing but the theming API for GTK3. We need that to be solid before people can take it and make something shiny.

Give them some time, there is a lot of work to do underneath before the polish can be applied.

This video from the Fedora User and Developer Conference (FUDcon) shows off what we have so far with regards to the GNOME shell and the new Wayland work.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/videos/2009/FUDConF11/fudcon-f11-rm345-session4.ogg

geoken
February 13th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I find it hard to be disappointed by something that still has not even established a clear direction yet, let alone any real concrete planning, let alone any actual development, let alone any media in existence to form an opinion at all...

Did you see that new hotel they're building? I know it's still just a hole in the ground but I'm pretty disappointing with the architecture.

perlluver
February 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I for one like what I saw there. Must just be me.

days_of_ruin
February 13th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Did you see that new hotel they're building? I know it's still just a hole in the ground but I'm pretty disappointing with the architecture.

That DOES have a clear plan.Its completely planned out.Gnome 3 is not.

Mr. Picklesworth
February 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Theming is also bound to become awesome. Don't trust me too much on this, but it tastes like the path is towards more context-sensitive themes. For example: "Is this toolbar at the top of a window or somwhere else?" There's also, of course, the CSS theme engine (and hopefully an SVG one) waking up.
Could be some neat stuff.

chucky chuckaluck
February 14th, 2009, 12:19 AM
i doubt it will live up to the disappointment that is kde4.

Islington
February 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Have you all read the idea discussed in Cimi's Blog, about Do-ifying Gnome?
http://www.cimitan.com/blog/2009/01/31/do-ifying-gtk-30/#comment-3410

where is your jaw now? on the floor? Mine was..

Closed_Port
February 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM

Hm, I find KDE4 (4.2 to be precise) incredibly impressive. So if Gnome3 will live up to that standard, things would be great.

Islington
February 14th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Theming is also bound to become awesome. Don't trust me too much on this, but it tastes like the path is towards more context-sensitive themes. For example: "Is this toolbar at the top of a window or somwhere else?" There's also, of course, the CSS theme engine (and hopefully an SVG one) waking up.
Could be some neat stuff.

unfortunately no

The CSS engine is not / does not provide:

* A theming system for Gtk+ 3.x.
* A new way to arrange widgets in Gtk+ applications.
* The way how GNOME 3 will be themed.
* Good themes for free. No drawing is being done by the engine itself, every pixel on the screen has to be put there by CSS (or images referenced from CSS). Writing a CSS theme will be a lot of work.
* Any kind of innovation. QT supports CSS, XUL uses it for even longer. From a developer’s point of view the most interesting part is libccss anyway, a library that parses CSS and draws CSS styles using cairo. The gtk engine is just a thin wrapper around it.

from http://blogs.gnome.org/theming/

bruce89
February 14th, 2009, 02:35 AM
<partial sarcasm>
GNOME 2.x is perfect, so GNOME 3.x is going to be rather similar.
</partial sarcasm>

Being serious, GNOME 3.x was never going to be revolutionary.

smartboyathome
February 14th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Where will be the taskbar? At the top?; It's should be at the bottom, In a Dock like Osx.

Yes, and GNOME should be sued by Apple since they now own the patent to the dock!

Seriously, I hate the dock, and if GNOME ever requires me to use one, then I won't touch it ever again.

phaed
February 14th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I kind of like it.

People get used to a certain thing and psychological inertia sets in. The KDE community responded the same way to KDE 4 but I think as of 4.2 it's a major improvement over 3.5.

etnlIcarus
February 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I was impressed by those mockups back when they were first shown. Assuming they don't back away from these more radical ideas as they begin to write 3.0, Gnome could really end up becoming something to behold. They seem to be borrowing liberally from both the custom interfaces of netbooks, along with a bit of the Web 2.0 portal; turning the desktop into a more sophisticated and ubiquitous means of performing tasks, with the individual application metaphor taking a back seat.

Although I'm easily the 5,000,000th person to say of a project 'this could be *nix's big break on the desktop', I'm going to put it out there: this looks like something simple enough for the grandparents, while sophisticated enough for the hipster teenager. It talks to the user in a language they understand, asking, "what do you want to do today?", but doesn't necessarily obfuscate the old metaphors or hide what's really happening.

Where will be the taskbar? At the top?; It's should be at the bottom
Actually, no. The, "taskbar", belongs to part of a hierarchy. Where one element controls another, placing the dominant element above it's submissive child expresses this control hierarchy visually. The taskbar controls all windows; windows do not control the taskbar. Thus, windows belong below any managing/controlling/dominant widgets.

This not only brings the, "taskbar", in-line with similar elements such as tabs, it's also efficient in that your mouse cursor spends most of it's time towards the top half of the screen, anyway. Then, if it weren't for dialogue windows, your mouse would conceivably never have to leave the top 2/3rds of the screen.

In a Dock like Osx.While some of the dock's behaviour would be preferable in complimenting the design of these mockups, the dock's physical presence would most certainly not be desirable. It wastes space, while lacking in visual information.

Skripka
February 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Don't worry-there's no need to get excited. Last I checked GNOME 3 was going to be ANYTHING but radical. As a matter of fact, you could say same old same old....

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2008/07/gnome-3-0-officially-announced-and-explained.ars

http://origin.arstechnica.com/news.media/gnome3.jpg

The GNOME 2.30 release, which will be about a year and a half from now based on GNOME's standard six-month release cycle, is what the developers have decided to call GNOME 3.0.

AAMOF, by all appearance all they're just going to do is change the name from "Gnome 2.3" to "Gnome 3.0"

Polygon
February 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
i'm also disappointing with duke nukem forever. Seriously, what were they thinking?

Mr. Picklesworth
February 15th, 2009, 06:36 PM
In fact we can expect GNOME Shell to be on a "When it's done" schedule. GNOME isn't crazy about marketing that they'll abandon quality for the sake of a version number. It will happen in early 3.*, maybe 3.0 itself, but 3.0 as a deadline represents an API break. The API will become more consistent and more streamlined. The end result is that things like GTK gain more power with which to make things awesome :)

Conveniently, 3.0 will also be around the time that DeviceKit (the beautiful alternative to a lot of HAL's monolithic junk) will be soundly implemented and XInput 2 will have trickled in to GNOME applications. It's a good time to call a fancy version number.

Foster Grant
February 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Already does. "Activities menu" = "K menu"

You can add stuff to KDE 4's panel, though -- even swap in a replacement for something on it you don't like (Lancelot in place of the K menu, for example).

The Actions menu, of course, is Canonical's new addition combining logout and power functions with IM status.

Polygon
February 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
The Actions menu, of course, is Canonical's new addition combining logout and power functions with IM status.

which was a terrible decision IMHO. why do we need TWO icons telling us our status? (pidgin/empathy icon + the combo applet). that reminds me i need to file a bug report that they either need to remove that feature or include a option to turn it off.

and the old shutdown menu was better. big icons are better, rather then a tiny little menu where the 'log out' button is right next to restart. yeah......

BGFG
February 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
What is the disappointment based on exactly ? Blog entries and conjecture ? Where is the disappointing 3.0 beta that the OP tested ?

foxbase
February 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM

That's a low shot, i had you down for better than that :lolflag:

T2manner
February 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I think it looks awesome.
But Gnome is a long way away from 3.0 so it's definitely going to look different.

bruce89
February 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
AAMOF, by all appearance all they're just going to do is change the name from "Gnome 2.3" to "Gnome 3.0"

Not meaning to be a pain, but the last '0' is significant.

which was a terrible decision IMHO. why do we need TWO icons telling us our status? (pidgin/empathy icon + the combo applet). that reminds me i need to file a bug report that they either need to remove that feature or include a option to turn it off.

and the old shutdown menu was better. big icons are better, rather then a tiny little menu where the 'log out' button is right next to restart. yeah......

You can remove the duplicate status rubbish with gconf (in f-u-s-a's bit).

I think it looks awesome.
But Gnome is a long way away from 3.0 so it's definitely going to look different.

19 months isn't long.

mcduck
February 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM

Then why not just remove it from your panel and add the old shutdown applet back? It's still there for those who want it.. ;)

Polygon
February 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Then why not just remove it from your panel and add the old shutdown applet back? It's still there for those who want it.. ;)

last time i checked it was not, it was called 'shutdown applet' or something and the new one with teh combo im status / crappy menu seems to of taken over that.

mcduck
February 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM
last time i checked it was not, it was called 'shutdown applet' or something and the new one with teh combo im status / crappy menu seems to of taken over that.

Yes, it is still there. It's called "Shut Down...". (This is on 8.10 that was installed fresh, and I haven't installed any extra applets, so it's definitely part of the default install).

Polygon
February 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM
its not the same thing

I ranted about this a while ago

the OLD applet, when clicked on it, it popped up a square with like 6 options

log out
shut down
restart
suspend
hibernate
lock screen

NOW, since they decided to add a redundant and ugly IM status to the log out applet, we now have to use two applets (taking up space, and honestly that running man icon is UGLY) to have the same functionality.

and not to mention the new one is buggy, 99% of the time it does not show shut down or restart so i have to do extra work and go to system > shut down > shut down.

i want the old one back :evil:

bruce89
February 17th, 2009, 01:19 AM

*sigh*

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/fast-user-switch-applet/show_presence_info false

I agree with you on this, with Empathy at least, it's pointless clutter.

Polygon
February 17th, 2009, 09:40 AM
ok thanks, but would it of killed them to include a GUI way of turning that off rather then some obscure gconf key? *writes post it note to write bug report*

mcduck
February 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM
its not the same thing

I ranted about this a while ago

the OLD applet, when clicked on it, it popped up a square with like 6 options

log out
shut down
restart
suspend
hibernate
lock screen

NOW, since they decided to add a redundant and ugly IM status to the log out applet, we now have to use two applets (taking up space, and honestly that running man icon is UGLY) to have the same functionality.

and not to mention the new one is buggy, 99% of the time it does not show shut down or restart so i have to do extra work and go to system > shut down > shut down.

well, the Shut Down-applet is still exactly the same. it's just that the Gnome's shutdown dialog has changed.. ;)

wersdaluv
February 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Relax. That's _not yet_ GNOME 3.0. Just wait and see.

pol666
February 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM
It's very funny, when kde4.0 had been released much users switch into gnome. so, probably, When Gnome 3.0 has been released much users switch into KDE.JAJAJ

Vadi
February 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Since I have yet to see a solid plan for Gnome 3.0, I'm not dissapointed at all.

Considering Gnome 2.2 is better than Kde 4.2 (for me), I'm not too dissapointed atm either. If I was, I'd switch!

pol666
February 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Gnome 2 have got some years of develop. KDE4 only 2.
and 2.22 doesn't have a toolkit change like KDE .

Antman
February 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
By the time 3.0 is worth using, I'll be mirgrated to Kde4.3. ;)

kaldor
February 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I love the new look of things, and I like the "Activities" menu. I just hope that I can customize it and I can still use the "Applications Places System" menu if needed.

pol666
February 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM
By the time 3.0 is worth using, I'll be mirgrated to Kde4.3. ;)

2010? will be 4.4

bruce89
February 18th, 2009, 01:11 AM
ok thanks, but would it of killed them to include a GUI way of turning that off rather then some obscure gconf key? *writes post it note to write bug report*

I'd rather get rid of presence info completely.

2010? will be 4.4

Actually, GNOME 3.0 is planned for what time 2.30 would have been released, so that's about 13 months from now.

hask
February 18th, 2009, 01:24 AM

For me, too many corners and sharp edges, but i stick aound for the release