PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] non-system disk or disk error

elfi
February 13th, 2009, 10:05 PM
installing from a live cd ubuntu 8.10 to compaq armada m300 using winxp, install was interrupted at partitioning, after selecting dos.

now only get the message "non-system disk or disk error" and screen goes black when i enter anything - and the same error message returns.

i do not want winxp so i did not back up, not needing the ms programs. how can i fix this? any assistance appreciated, but i am a complete nub so little makes sense to me
thanks

caljohnsmith
February 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Which partitioning option did you choose when you tried to install Ubuntu? Did you you use "Guided - use entire disk"? What do you mean when the partitioning was interrupted after selecting "dos"? Did the installer give an error, or what exactly happened?

elfi
February 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Which partitioning option did you choose when you tried to install Ubuntu? Did you you use "Guided - use entire disk"? What do you mean when the partitioning was interrupted after selecting "dos"? Did the installer give an error, or what exactly happened?

yes, i think i used 'guided'. there was a dropdown list and i chose dos and then a question about partition size i think and i was unable to input to that and went on another computer to search and accidentally computer shut down and when i restarted got the error message.
elfi

caljohnsmith
February 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Have you tried using the "guided - use entire disk" option again, and do you get the same results? If so, you could instead choose the "manual" option, and then set up two partitions for Ubuntu: one for the main partition (to be mounted as "/" or root), and one partition for swap space. Here is a tutorial for doing the manual method:

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/dfelderh/linuxmaniac/p23.html

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

elfi
February 16th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Have you tried using the "guided - use entire disk" option again, and do you get the same results? If so, you could instead choose the "manual" option, and then set up two partitions for Ubuntu: one for the main partition (to be mounted as "/" or root), and one partition for swap space. Here is a tutorial for doing the manual method:

http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/dfelderh/linuxmaniac/p23.html

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Now I cannot get anything but that error message. Doesn't matter what i enter, returns to that message. won't boot from ubuntu cd any more.

elfi
February 19th, 2009, 05:32 AM
i downloaded rawrite and sbm, put them on a cd, tried that on the comaq armada, same result. don't know where to go from here

ok, well thanks for trying to help.