PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] synaptic package manager broken??

mrdaze0
February 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I was going to post that synaptic isn't working on my machine and that I must have changed some configuration file that killed it. however I open synaptic again to find the name of a package to use as an example of one that is listed and I type in 'gnome-utils' and it pulls it up and I decide to give it one more go for g++ (since apt-get wont install it) and wow it pulled it up I guess my machine just wanted me to post on here again. Anyone else have a similar problem with synaptic?

howefield
February 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Afraid not, touch wood, but I'm interested in how long you are testing Gutsy before you are happy ;)

mrdaze0
February 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Afraid not, touch wood, but I'm interested in how long you are testing Gutsy before you are happy ;)

Very good point it has been awhile since I have been on here it was about time I updated that.

kyle5434
February 15th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure from your description what if I'm having the same problem as you or not, but here's my issue...

I start Synaptic, search for a package, find it and mark it for installation. From that point on, Synaptic can find no other packages I search for until I log out of my Gnome session and log back in. Then, again, I can successfully do ONE search in Synaptic before it again can't find any packages and I have to log out / log in again to successfully find and install another package.

I just installed 8.10 yesterday to replace a PCLinuxOS installation. I was able to mark all upgrades and get current yesterday. Today was the first time I tried to add other packages on this machine.

Thoughts on why Synaptic gets stupid after one search?

Kyle

kyle5434
February 16th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Some more data...it looks like the problem may lie with using the "Quick search" box. If I avoid that, Synaptic works predictably for multiple searches. If I use the quick search box, I can't do more than one package search at a time without having to close Synaptic, log out of my Gnome session, and log back in.

Kyle