PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wireless connection confusion

greenubu
February 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hi I am using a Linksys WUSB54G on a Ubuntu 6.06 . I see the wireless connection is active in Network Settings. When I start firefox and try to get on the internet I get a window that says Firefox cant find the server. I dont know if I have the correct drivers installed for my wireless device. The network adapter has a CD that has an installation for Vista.

Thanks for help

Fire_Chief
February 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Are you connecting to a known good wireless network? Have you connected to the Internet through that wireless network before?

wolfen69
February 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
are you seeing available wireless networks when you left click the little network icon in the upper right taskbar? it is also possible that since 6.06 is old now, that it may not have the drivers you need. you could try the live cd of 8.04 or 8.10 to see if it makes a difference.

BDNiner
February 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah my guess would be that you are not connected to a wireless network at the moment. Can you verify that you are by clicking on the icon and selecting the wireless network that you want to connect to.

greenubu
February 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I am pretty sure that I have a working connection, I have a mac laptop and a windows laptop connected now.

thanks for you fast help

greenubu
February 13th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I dont have a network Icon in the upper right talk bar right now.

Fire_Chief
February 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
are you seeing available wireless networks when you left click the little network icon in the upper right taskbar? it is also possible that since 6.06 is old now, that it may not have the drivers you need. you could try the live cd of 8.04 or 8.10 to see if it makes a difference.

I agree with Wolfen, you should really try a more recent version of Ubuntu.

LarsW_Tierp
February 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Are you on the same subnet as your wifi router? When my DNS server dies all outbound connections halts.
Are u using DHCP or fixed setting?