PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no menus!

profadour
February 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I am using Intrepid on a Compaq 2710p laptop. I have multiple user accounts, and up till recently had no problems. A few days ago, i started having trouble with the administrative user account - the GNOME menus no longer load. The desktop itself loads, but no menus, no panel, no way to access programs. My standard account is working just fine, but i also cannot install new programs or get updates.
Any assistance is appreciated.
Thanks, profadour.

UbuntuNerd
February 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM
what happens if you press alt+f2

profadour
February 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Well, when i press Alt+F2, i get the "Run Application" box, which lists everything i would get from the Applications menu.

UbuntuNerd
February 13th, 2009, 08:30 PM
hit the alt+f2 and type this commands in it hit run and see if you get your panels back

gconftool-2 --shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

prshah
February 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
i get the "Run Application" box,

Launch a terminal from the "Run" box
gnome-terminal and then give the command to load the panels
gnome-panel If you don't get your panels back, paste back any error messages received in the terminal; otherwise, close the terminal (The panels will disappear again), and this time, run the gnome-panel command from the "Run" box. Logout and login again, and everything should be a-OK.

profadour
February 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Tried these commands, did not get the panels back.

hit the alt+f2 and type this commands in it hit run and see if you get your panels back

gconftool-2 --shutdown
rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel
pkill gnome-panel

profadour
February 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Tried this. Got the following output:
user@user-laptop:~$ gnome-panel
A panel is already running.

Odd. And i still can't see the panels or menus...
Urgh.

Launch a terminal from the "Run" box
gnome-terminal and then give the command to load the panels
gnome-panel If you don't get your panels back, paste back any error messages received in the terminal; otherwise, close the terminal (The panels will disappear again), and this time, run the gnome-panel command from the "Run" box. Logout and login again, and everything should be a-OK.