PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to open own stores, take on Apple

Sporkman
February 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/20090213/tc_nm/us_microsoft_2

Microsoft to open own stores, take on Apple

(Reuters)
* Posted on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20PM EST

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp announced plans Thursday to open its own chain of branded stores as it looks to catch up with rival Apple Inc's successful move into retailing.

The world's largest software company, which also makes the Xbox video game console and the Zune digital music player, did not say how many stores it was looking to open, or when, or which of its products would be on sale.

That is to be decided by David Porter, a former DreamWorks Animation executive, which Microsoft named as its new vice president of retail stores.

Turner, a former Wal-Mart Stores Inc manager, will report to Microsoft chief operating officer Kevin Turner.

The long-rumored move to open stores comes as consumer spending is under severe pressure due to the recession, which has already pushed electronics chain Circuit City into bankruptcy. A similar attempt by computer maker Gateway to open its own stores some years ago was not successful.

Microsoft, bruised by the poor reception of its latest Vista operating system, is facing increased competition from Apple, which is eating into the personal computer market and dominates the personal digital music player market with its iPod line.

Apple's stylish stores, now numbering more than 200 worldwide, have been crucial in attracting customers in recent years.

(Reporting by Bill Rigby; editing by Carol Bishopric, Bernard Orr)

der_joachim
February 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hehe. Puts an entirely new meaning to window shopping. :)

Actually I am mildly surprised that they have not come up with this idea earlier. Are they perhaps slowly getting afraid to lose a part of the consumer market?

chucky chuckaluck
February 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
that's hilarious. it's the equivalent to being intimidated by a candle/gift shop.

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Golly. Are they afriad of Apple's success or what?

Hopefully, the same people behind the "I'm a Windows User" ads are the ones who will be designing Microsoft stores.

BTW, what about all the retailers out there selling Microsoft-laden products? Now they're going to have to compete against a 5000 lb gorilla. Bet'cha they don't like them apples one bit...

aysiu
February 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I think it's a great idea.

I've long thought Canonical should open its own store, too:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/ubuntu-the-open-source-apple-challenger/

Zenze
February 13th, 2009, 10:34 PM
It sounds like a fairly good idea, except I can't think of what exactly they would sell. Mac stores make more sense to me because they produce and sell both hardware and software, so they can display different models of their laptops, desktops, ipods, iphone, and all different types of software.

MS on the other hand would put what in their store? Vista, Office, Zune, maybe Xbox 360, and what? I guess they could sell third party software too, like virus protection.

It just seems that because they don't actually sell any of the hardware you would need to run their main products a MS store would be unnecessary.

vambo
February 13th, 2009, 10:36 PM
What they gonna call it?

Bugs R UZ

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

shadylookin
February 13th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I don't see what MS has to gain by doing this. Windows comes pre-installed on almost every computer so when they take business away from other retailers aren't they essentially just taking business away from themselves? It's like taking a quarter out of one pocket, putting it in another, and saying you've gained 25cents.

Anyway other than software all I can think of that MS makes is the xbox, the zune, keyboards, and mice. Doesn't sound like a very interesting store.

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 11:36 PM
This is an example of greed in action. They're not just interested in being the super-majority dominant player with everyone's business. They want ALL of the business of everyone's business.

What are they going to do, exactly, "manage the user experience"? They already define the OOBE, and that OOBE is further tweaked by their hardware vendor partners (a.k.a. "computer manufacturers").

Of course, this could also be a strategy to induce a loss and then use that to circumvent anti-trust laws, or some other such nonsense. These stores are either about greed, or about some kind of strategy.

Zenze
February 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Of course, this could also be a strategy to induce a loss and then use that to circumvent anti-trust laws, or some other such nonsense.

Interesting, didn't even consider that. I just thought that it would be an attempt to improve the brand image or something.

chucky chuckaluck
February 14th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I've long thought Canonical should open its own store, too

and call it what? gnomes&things?

BuffaloX
February 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Yeah read that a little earlier today.
I don't think it will work, except maybe for the XBox, but at the risk of reflecting a games console image to the entire Microsoft brand, which I think will harm Microsoft more than benefit them.
Seems like a lame attempt to catch some of that Apple Magic.

Microsoft will probably have some really top top guys developing concept, interior design and every other aspect of these stores, so they'll probably better than I'm able to imagine, if not they are doomed to fail.

Maybe they'll have seminars in Visual Basic. :P

BuffaloX
February 14th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I think it's a great idea.

I've long thought Canonical should open its own store, too:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/ubuntu-the-open-source-apple-challenger/

That actually sounds cool, but I think also it would be at the great risk of loosing quite a bit of money.

Opening a computer store is really entering a cutthroat business.
Margins are extremely low, and you have to move computers quite quickly not to loose money.
But maybe as a joint venture with hardware companies that stock the shop.

A not as cool idea, but maybe better chance of success, would be to have an "Ubuntu Corner" in existing shops. Concept ready made between Canonical and a couple of hardware vendors. But it will be hard to sell the idea, as mentioned it's a cutthroat business where almost nobody likes to take chances.

smartboyathome
February 14th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I wonder if we will get one here in Bellingham, WA. It would make sense since we are only a few hours away from Microsoft headquarters. I wouldn't mind, though, since I wouldn't go there. ;)

wmcbrine
February 14th, 2009, 02:08 AM
MS on the other hand would put what in their store? Vista, Office, Zune, maybe Xbox 360, and what?Don't forget keyboards and mice.

I think this store will be seriously pointless.

Grant A.
February 14th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I wonder if we will get one here in Bellingham, WA. It would make sense since we are only a few hours away from Microsoft headquarters. I wouldn't mind, though, since I wouldn't go there. ;)

Get a job there and secretly slip people Ubuntu CDs in their plastic bags. Call it an "upgrade" from Windows.

smartboyathome
February 14th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Get a job there and secretly slip people Ubuntu CDs in their plastic bags. Call it an "upgrade" from Windows.

Nah, I already know that will backfire, and probably make it so that I couldn't get any more good paying jobs.

ugm6hr
February 14th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I suspect they will be looking to promote Windows Mobile phones too.

Apple stores attract a lot of non-PC business, specifically with regard to iPods / iPhones.

With the Zune and Windows Mobile devices, Microsoft are in a position to compete. The XBox and any Media Centre OS are other systems that are potentially interesting for this market too.

Remember, that store presence is about brand marketing, not just selling stuff. Most people have probably never heard of Windows Mobile or the Zune, but almost everyone knows what the iPhone and iPod are.

cammin
February 14th, 2009, 03:12 AM
That is to be decided by David Porter, a former DreamWorks Animation executive, which Microsoft named as its new vice president of retail stores.

Turner, a former Wal-Mart Stores Inc manager, will report to Microsoft chief operating officer Kevin Turner.
???

(Reporting by Bill Rigby; editing by Carol Bishopric, Bernard Orr)

bruce89
February 14th, 2009, 03:15 AM
and call it what? gnomes&things?

Forks 'n' Things sounds would be more pertinent.

phrostbyte
February 14th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I can see the complex line of reasoning that went into this decision already:
"Apple is doing it, we should too!"

handy
February 14th, 2009, 04:25 AM
In Oz, you get much better deals on iPhone from the telephone companies than you do buying direct from an Apple store.

Perhaps MS will buy a small OEM like HP ;-) & re-badge the product, selling the various versions of windows pre-installed as usual, but in their own shops? :lolflag:

Another perhaps, is that MS is looking further down the track, & starting to establish themselves now in the market place, for the selling of various IT related services & packages of services to householders. Which is the Internet2 ideal of the big corporations = less variety on the internet & you pay for what you do get on the internet.

Have a read of The End of the Internet link in my signature.

Another perhaps; is that all of these trained business dudes have been taught that growth is everything; if the shark isn't moving forward, it dies.

Though the problems with that theory are easily seen, as the results of the extremes of consumerism on planet earth's biosphere have put us in a situation that we have very little chance of surviving the century.

I see a parallel with Nero fiddling whilst Rome burned, except in our case, we shall be entertained into extinction...

wmcbrine
February 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Perhaps MS will buy a small OEM like HP & rebadge the product, selling the various versions of windows pre-installed as usual, but in their own shops?OEMs are Microsoft's primary customers. If they started selling "Microsoft PCs", they'd alienate all the other OEMs. I think they'd stand to lose a lot more than they'd gain. Even selling other companies' PCs (with their original brands intact) in the Microsoft Store would be problematic, since they'd have to favor some over others.

Also, HP is not small.

techdude3177
February 14th, 2009, 05:21 AM
OEMs are Microsoft's primary customers. If they started selling "Microsoft PCs", they'd alienate all the other OEMs. I think they'd stand to lose a lot more than they'd gain. Even selling other companies' PCs (with their original brands intact) in the Microsoft Store would be problematic, since they'd have to favor some over others.

Also, HP is not small.

Agreed!!

Plus look at the PC stores that belong to Gateway and Dell... i mean they are no longer there, it just flops. You can get PC stuff all over but for mac your almost forced to buy everything from apple, which is why the store works.

handy
February 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM
OEMs are Microsoft's primary customers. If they started selling "Microsoft PCs", they'd alienate all the other OEMs. I think they'd stand to lose a lot more than they'd gain. Even selling other companies' PCs (with their original brands intact) in the Microsoft Store would be problematic, since they'd have to favor some over others.

Also, HP is not small.

Agreed!!

Plus look at the PC stores that belong to Gateway and Dell... i mean they are no longer there, it just flops. You can get PC stuff all over but for mac your almost forced to buy everything from apple, which is why the store works.

Sorry guys, my humour went over your head. Which is easily understandable, as most of what I was saying I was serious about.

Such misunderstandings are a common problem on forums; though I thought the fact that HP, after acquiring Compaq, & becoming the largest computer manufacturer in the world would have let me get away with it. ;-)

I'll edit the offending post & strategically locate a ;-) & a :lolflag: & some style, in an attempt not to confuse anyone else with my ambiguous statement in the future. :-)

tsali
February 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Microsoft learned a hard lesson with Vista...

People need to see, hear, touch, feel a product. Because of the whirlwind of FUD surrounding Vista, a lot fo people had...and still have...a bad image of it.

People need a chance to judge for themselves. The store gives them a chance to do that.

It think Canonical could do the same with Ubuntu. IF Apple is "elitist cool", imagine that Ubuntu stores would be 'geek-max cool'. They could always sell sci-fi action figures...

Ubuntu girl to the rescue!

Seriously, I don't think MS is looking at selling computers...plenty of vendors do that. If you really want a PC, they'd be smart to steer your to an array of vendors.

It's more about generating interest than retailing product. It's about PR. MS should focus on driving interest in what the Windows system of products can do and leave sales of core products to their vendor partners. Sure, you'll be able to buy SOME stuff, but that's not really why the store exists.

For example, If MS shows off "surface computing" in the store, customers may become interested and start asking where they can get it...MS steers them to an array of vendors.

Paqman
February 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I've long thought Canonical should open its own store, too

Hmm, wouldn't want to end up aping the bigger competitors. Why not do something on a tangent: an Ubuntu pub! Linux is a collaborative project, instead of being sold something we could all sit down over a pint.

Giant Speck
February 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Hmm, wouldn't want to end up aping the bigger competitors. Why not do something on a tangent: an Ubuntu pub! Linux is a collaborative project, instead of being sold something we could all sit down over a pint.

While I'm not a big fan of beer, I fully support this suggestion.

:lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
February 14th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Here is my prediction:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2278/applestorevswindowsstoriw4.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=applestorevswindowsstoriw4.jpg)

Upper left: Apple Store
Upper right: My vision of a Windows Store based on Microsofts current marketing Status
Bottom: The Ubuntu store

lyceum
February 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM
it is about time. I am still waiting for the Ubuntu store.

amitabhishek
February 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
IMO MS has not done anything original since launch of Win95.

BuffaloX
February 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Microsofts idea of opening stores is quite unique and original.
It has nothing to do with Apple stores...

You see: "Microsoft store" <> "Apple store"

If you look at the letters, you'll see they are not the same.
This is a Unique Microsoft idea that has nothing to do with Apple.

lyceum
February 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM
IMO MS has not done anything original since launch of Win95.

I didn't realize Win95 was an original idea ;)

amitabhishek
February 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I didn't realize Win95 was an original idea ;)

lol...was trying to give them a little credit they at least bridged that GUI divide:)

myusername
February 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
well actually, back when windows longhorn was actually STILL longhorn and not vista, they were gonna make their own hardware. so who knows? maybe they'll make some sort of agreement with a company like Dell or HP where they can sell their computers/other hardware. or perhaps they'll buy out a small company

dont know if this is actually real but i would definitely buy it
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20070917/revisiting-microsofts-vista-pc-concept/

Chame_Wizard
February 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
well actually, back when windows longhorn was actually STILL longhorn and not vista, they were gonna make their own hardware. so who knows? maybe they'll make some sort of agreement with a company like Dell or HP where they can sell their computers/other hardware. or perhaps they'll buy out a small company

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20070917/revisiting-microsofts-vista-pc-concept/

Photoshop :lolflag:

myusername
February 14th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Photoshop :lolflag:

yes. because its a design. they never actually sold it. just like with the actual longhorn. go troll somewhere else

Bungo Pony
February 15th, 2009, 12:25 AM
well actually, back when windows longhorn was actually STILL longhorn and not vista, they were gonna make their own hardware.

Knowing them, they'd start embedding some sort of 'protection' that would cause the system to malfunction (or bluescreen) if one tries to install Linux on it.

A Microsoft store is a dumb idea. If you go into the computer section in Best Buy, you're already IN a Microsoft store. I can't see the purpose of cloning computer sections in stores and putting them into their own spaces. I've seen small computer stores come and go. Unless a company specializes in hardware (repair or supply) or sells and services Apple products, the company will ultimately fail. Really, who's going to go to a Microsoft store to buy copies of Office and Vista? The only way they can get away with that is if they mark their prices lower than other stores. But if a PC doesn't come pre-installed with Vista or Office, most people will get pirated copies from their friends.

It really sounds like a lose-lose for Microsoft. Little or no product movement + leasing space for the store + paying employees = debt.

tsali
February 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Here is my prediction:
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/2278/applestorevswindowsstoriw4.th.jpg (http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=applestorevswindowsstoriw4.jpg)

Upper right: My vision of a Windows Store based on Microsofts current marketing Status

So where's the action figure tent?

SunnyRabbiera
February 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
So where's the action figure tent?

Towards the center, near the house of Mirrors, you cant miss it!

chucky chuckaluck
February 15th, 2009, 12:42 AM
here's the arch store...

http://f.imagehost.org/0483/archstore.jpg

smartboyathome
February 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
here's the arch store...

So THAT is where my shoes went. I thought it was weird that my shoes disappeared shortly after I started using Arch. ;)

Anyway, I think that LUGs are a good resource for now since they offer free tech support for the Linux newbies. As long as you don't mind hanging around geeks (which you would do with Apple at their geek counter anyway, though people never see it like that :|), you would have no problems with it.

Giant Speck
February 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM

I want that keyboard. Really, really want. =P~

Grant A.
February 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM
here's the arch store...

Why are all of those shoes from the same side?

Btw- GIMP fail. That Arch logo is superimposed over what looks to be a taped on comic strip, which is taped on at a different angle. :-/

handy
February 15th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Knowing them, they'd start embedding some sort of 'protection' that would cause the system to malfunction (or bluescreen) if one tries to install Linux on it.

A Microsoft store is a dumb idea. If you go into the computer section in Best Buy, you're already IN a Microsoft store. I can't see the purpose of cloning computer sections in stores and putting them into their own spaces. I've seen small computer stores come and go. Unless a company specializes in hardware (repair or supply) or sells and services Apple products, the company will ultimately fail. Really, who's going to go to a Microsoft store to buy copies of Office and Vista? The only way they can get away with that is if they mark their prices lower than other stores. But if a PC doesn't come pre-installed with Vista or Office, most people will get pirated copies from their friends.

It really sounds like a lose-lose for Microsoft. Little or no product movement + leasing space for the store + paying employees = debt.

The intention of MS, Apple, Adobe, just to name a few, & of course the carrier companies that own the fibre optic & the core backbone internet nodes, is for people to pay for internet services.

Imagine the MS store as a mobile phone store, but instead of just mobile phone & MP3 players & packages being available, there is a whole range of cloud computing packages available.

Joe Average, eventually won't be able to pirate office, or photoshop, as the data these pirated app's produce won't be readable by anyone else's computer.

Remember trusted computing?

In the mean time, it is not hard to see a possible marketing strategy by MS, where they gradually move into the consumer consciousness as a retail outlet, for a large variety of software & media access package contracts.

The internet2 ideal is that we (the dumb consumer) don't have intelligent computers, we are users of dumb terminals & we can't get anything on the internet without having paid for the rights to access it.

There goes the internet as we know it. As the carriers are eroding the government limitations on them, right now, the carriers will become the owners of the internet & the big corps like MS, Apple, Adobe & the like will enter into bandwidth deals with the carriers.

SunnyRabbiera
February 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM
here's the arch store...

I thought the arch store would more look like this:
http://www.freefoto.com/images/13/66/13_66_51---Building-under-construction_web.jpg

not built yet until the customer enters the building (must be fun out in the open like that :))

chucky chuckaluck
February 15th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Why are all of those shoes from the same side?

they symbolize the circles new users sometimes find themselves going in.

Btw- GIMP fail. That Arch logo is superimposed over what looks to be a taped on comic strip, which is taped on at a different angle. :-/

that's actually a faded out windows sticker, not a cartoon.

wmcbrine
February 15th, 2009, 07:57 AM
The internet2 ideal is that we (the dumb consumer) don't have intelligent computers, we are users of dumb terminals & we can't get anything on the internet without having paid for the rights to access it.I've said it before, I'll say it again: They will pry my general-purpose computer from my cold, dead hands. Also, my general-purpose Internet.

I'd be more concerned if I didn't know that my feelings were shared by millions. It seems to me that the efforts to end network neutrality are going nowhere so far, and are being soundly beaten back. Not that we should be complacent, of course.

MikeTheC
February 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Here is my prediction:

It's rather apt, as Linux really is more of a circus in a lot of respects.

MikeTheC
February 15th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Microsofts idea of opening stores is quite unique and original.
It has nothing to do with Apple stores...

You see: "Microsoft store" <> "Apple store"

If you look at the letters, you'll see they are not the same.
This is a Unique Microsoft idea that has nothing to do with Apple.
+1

"Gadgets, widgets... Two totally different things."

And, in other news...

"Redmond, start your photocopiers."

MikeTheC
February 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I want that keyboard. Really, really want. =P~

That thing looks like some kind of lame piece of "SoHo studio apartment" s**t that Sony likes to put out.

Giant Speck
February 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM
That thing looks like some kind of lame piece of "SoHo studio apartment" s**t that Sony likes to put out.

Well, I'm sorry it doesn't live up to your extremely high standards, Mike, but I happen to like it.

On a side note, I wonder if Microsoft is going to go with that cold, sterile, empty hospital feel for their stores to make them seem more like Apple stores.

handy
February 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again: They will pry my general-purpose computer from my cold, dead hands. Also, my general-purpose Internet.

The general-purpose computer is the easy part.

The general-purpose internet is not going to be easy.

In Australia, there exists a very tiny minority who are actually in favour of the governments blanket national internet censorship plan.

BUT

The government still looks to be going ahead with it.

Why, do you think?

I'd be more concerned if I didn't know that my feelings were shared by millions. It seems to me that the efforts to end network neutrality are going nowhere so far, and are being soundly beaten back. Not that we should be complacent, of course.

This is going to be a very long fight; & millions of people mean nothing to the big players, as it can come down to just a few people in very high places, within a country, that when bought on side, will enable the manifestation of something that is completely against the will of the vast majority of the population in that country.

The revolving door rarely works in the little people's favour.

ellis rowell
February 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I don't think we should discourage MS from this action. If they want to waste their resources, fine. If they upset the normal manufacurers, fine (they may then decide to plug Ubuntu). It could be to our advantage!

wmcbrine
February 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
In Australia, there exists a very tiny minority who are actually in favour of the governments blanket national internet censorship plan.Ah, Australia. I pity you. :D

Seriously though, you're a democracy. Throw the bastards out, and turn it around. You can do it!

bruce89
February 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Seriously though, you're a democracy. Throw the bastards out, and turn it around. You can do it!

It's a bit tricky if all the parties want it (as I suspect with the UK's clone of the "Great Firewall of Oz").

Tom Mann
February 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I can imagine it now, at Lakeside Shopping Centre in Essex, Looking at the Apple shop showing off the latest iPhone interface, with the big iPhone in the front of their stores, and the Microsoft store opposite, with a big Zune, latest Samsung WM6 phone, and Windows PC, each with a different blue screen. Should be interesting. :popcorn:

torry_loon
February 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hello. It looks like you are trying to buy a computer. Would you like some help with that?

Sealbhach
February 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Now they get to **** off customers in person.

BuffaloX
February 16th, 2009, 12:31 AM
+1

"Gadgets, widgets... Two totally different things."

And, in other news...

"Redmond, start your photocopiers."

Glad at least you got it. :)

The general-purpose internet is not going to be easy.
The revolving door rarely works in the little people's favour.

Things are also going the wrong way here, they've introduced TV-License tax on internet which is so blatantly and utterly unfair I get angry every time I come to think about it.
they have closed access to Alloff mp3 and Pirate Bay. Maybe not such a big deal for now, but where does it end?

Hello. It looks like you are trying to buy a computer. Would you like some help with that?

Haha good one. :)
Or do you want me to completely make a mess of it?

Now they get to **** off customers in person.

Haha even better. :)
If they make one of those shops here, I might actually consider to get a job there.