PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i get this funny screen (screenshot included) on ibex when composite is enable

bigbrovar
February 13th, 2009, 06:18 PM
does any body get this crazy screen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3339/3276208773_f545cf9621_d.jpg

when u max a windows with composite enabled on ubuntu 8.10 with intel GM965 graphic card .. i only get this when i have composite enabled and its shows up for some seconds and then the screen becomes normal

frankwakeman
February 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM
My laptop has that graphics chip and I get the same thing. I don't think of it as a problem now really. It's probably not the best chip, I suppose. It probably did the same thing with Windows at first until the manufacturer fine-tuned the machine to make it saleable, which of course is not a process that occurs with Linux at present.

Those lines and squiggles don't happen every time, and also it varies depending on which Compiz effect is used and what setting. I've set my windows to open with a quite slow fade, which lessens those lines and squiggles.

Best to see it as an endearing quirk!

bigbrovar
February 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
@frankwakeman
thanks for the reply, but i have been using ubuntu since feisty .. and recently tried fedora 10 .. i dont get this problem ... not even on hardy .. i noticed it the first time i booted ibex .. so am thinking its a bug with the xorg that ships with ibex .the problem occurs with compiz and enabling compositing in metacity.. there is a fix out there somewhwere ..

frankwakeman
February 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
That's interesting, I hadn't tried earlier Ubuntus to know this. Hope someone here can comment as I'd be pleased to see it straightened out.

gettinoriginal
February 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, and get the same thing since Ibex, seems to be artifact of previous window or application. Am just living with it in the hopes that it will be straightened out with Jaunty.

bigbrovar
February 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
i just cant wait for this intrepid nightmare to be over .. imaging having a 4gb ram intel 3100 graphic card (not the greatest i know) yet i cant use docky or awn .. am still living in ol metacity

sharathpaps
February 18th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Ok, I don't know if this will help. But I got a full screen version of that error when I tried to play Spider Solitaire on Intrepid. I did this by changing the rule set in AisleRot Solitaire. Along with the screen I got the following error message. (I'm not sure the words are the same although the general idea is the same)
Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode

There were a couple of other options to change the graphics mode but finally I had no other go than to force a shut down. Maybe your error has something to do with graphics mode too.. :tongue:

bigbrovar
February 20th, 2009, 01:16 AM
@ sharathpaps i very much doubt that .. i think its a bug in ubuntu i dont have the same problem on fedora 10 on same hardware