PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] hardware help

natman
February 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I am buying a new laptop, and the guy in the shop let me try my ubuntu 8.10 live cd in machine - a hp 1100ea - details here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01558642&cc=ie&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_IEEN#N634)

It took a bit to boot up and when it did, the sound was weird, very stuttered out but there. The shop had no wifi but it picked up the bluetooth and showed "wireless network" grayed out. The hardware driver showed two options for the nvidia 9200 card.

Does that mean the sound is not going to work on it if i buy? Also what are the chances of getting the hdmi port to work ( had no way to test that ).

Patrick

BDNiner
February 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
It is going to take a long time to boot up since you are using the live CD. The sound will be a problem. I know that Creative has not had good support for its sound cards in linux in the past. They either work correctly or they don't. The wireless should work since it is an intel card. but without knowing the chipset or having a wireless network to test I would not assume that it is going to work.
The hdmi port should work since the video card is an nvidia card. Since the salesman went through the trouble of getting a live cd for you, you should have pushed the issue futher to see if he could hook up a display to the hdmi port.

wolfen69
February 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Since the salesman went through the trouble of getting a live cd for you

the guy in the shop let me try my ubuntu 8.10 live cd in machine
salesmen are not going to be that nice as to get a live cd for you. ;)

if you have problems with a live cd, chances are it will need tweaking after install. i might look into buying a different laptop.

natman
February 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks, I have done some seraching and this seems to be a problems for others too. Does anyone know if the next version of ubuntu 904 would fix it? Should i just cut my losses and try another laptop?