PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Ubuntu Toolbox question

Xoanan
February 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hi All

I have been studying Ubuntu Linux Toolbox by Christopher Negus and Francois Caen and I have some questions regarding sed in Chapter 5. (I may have more questions by the time I am done, of course).

In this chapter, they went over manipulating text, using various editors, grep, sed etc. In one sed example, they said that quotes and back slashes are needed to escape the foward slashes to make sure they are not misinterpreted.

Example
sed 's/\/home\/bob/\/home2\/bob/g' < /etc/passwd

What would happen if the quotes and backslashes were not there?

This may help me to understand it better.

Thanx

Xoanan:popcorn:

Xoanan
February 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hi All

I have been studying Ubuntu Linux Toolbox by Christopher Negus and Francois Caen and I have some questions regarding sed in Chapter 5. (I may have more questions by the time I am done, of course).

In this chapter, they went over manipulating text, using various editors, grep, sed etc. In one sed example, they said that quotes and back slashes are needed to escape the foward slashes to make sure they are not misinterpreted.

Example
sed 's/\/home\/bob/\/home2\/bob/g' < /etc/passwd

What would happen if the quotes and backslashes were not there?

This may help me to understand it better.

Thanx

Xoanan:popcorn:
I figured it out on my own, this time; w/o the quotes, and backslashes(or other delimiters), sed would replace /home with /bob, which would not be so good. Thanx!