PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I can't exit Firefox

sanderella
February 13th, 2009, 02:33 PM
The exit button which should be at top right of the screen is not there, just a little wheel which is stuck. I can't exit or minimise, and have to use my on/off button to exit Ubuntu. This has been happening since yesterday.

mike555
February 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Instead you could just log out with Ctl + Alt +Del ....... or maybe just rt. click on Firefox top bar if you can see it and click exit .
turning off Compiz might help .....

redseventyseven
February 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Perhaps Firefox has been accidentally set to full-screen mode?

Try pressing F11 and see if that brings your close button back.

Alternatively, you can always exit Firefox through the menu system: File > Exit.

If neither of those approaches works, then (as an absolute last resort) you can open a terminal window and type:

killall firefox

sanderella
February 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Thank you very much, guys. Great help.:KS

sanderella
February 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I have to press F11 twice to get it to appear on the screen properly, and I have to do it every time I use Firefox. Is this a Firefox problem? It isn't really a great inconvenience, but slightly annoying, and I'd like to get it rights. Thanks.

shabs
February 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Well when you restart firefox and click on View, do you already see a check mark on 'Full Screen'?

perpetualcacophany
February 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
It seems like everyone has this problem eventually. The problem may be with Compiz. Get CCSM if you don' have it already.

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

After it's installed open it in System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager

Find the section called Workarounds. Uncheck Legacy Fullscreen Support.

That should fix the problem for good.

sanderella
February 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Thank you perpetualcacophany, this worked.:p

nothingspecial
February 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Just so you know Alt + F9 will minimize the current window including firefox. Alt + F4 will close it.