PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu server 8.10 apache 2.2

stonerrob420
February 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hello! I installed ubuntu server 8.10 then installed ubuntu desktop that way I would have a GUI. everything works good except the apache 2.2 server. I cant unlock the /var/www file to be able to edit the index.html to make the webpage. I also cant put anything into the directory. Any help would be much appreciated.:P

jenkinbr
February 13th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Are you simply trying to copy content to that folder as yourself in nautilus, or are you doing it as root? Apache, by default, is set up to access files as user 'www' in the group 'www', and your user account doesn't have write permission to that directory by default.

Try running the command
gksudo gedit /var/www/index.html and see if you can save changes.

stonerrob420
February 14th, 2009, 04:32 AM
The code works but what about adding content like gifs and jpegs and such....How do I copy the images to that directory? I've already got a html page written for it but cant copy the images to the folder. Any help would be much appreciated.

theozzlives
February 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
sudo cp origin destination

for example test.jpg

sudo mkdir /var/www/images

sudo cp ./test.jpg /var/www/images/

mrbiggbrain
February 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
sudo usermod -g www yourusername then youll have full rights to do this with the current user, anytime. remember however anyone using that name will also

EDIT: forgot my sudo

stonerrob420
February 14th, 2009, 05:30 AM
when I use that code "sudo usermod -g www yourusername" then is gives me this error "usermod: unknown group www". wonder how I overcome this? I am totally lost in how do it. but I did get the apache setup where I could host own my own IP.

raptor2552
February 14th, 2009, 03:27 PM
the user is www-data not www

stonerrob420
February 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I found a solution to this problem using the gksudo nautilus command. It seems that there has been changes in the ubuntu shell since the last edition. I was able to copy all the files to the directory and now my webpage is up and running. Thanks to everybody for the help I much appreciate it everything. I love this forum....people here are so cool.:P