PDA

View Full Version : help! just replaced heatsink/fan and now comuter wont boot

markp1989
February 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
i just replaced the heatsink and fan on my desktop for a larger quiter one, and after doing this, the computer wont complete the POST

just sits there giving out long beeps , what do i do now!!

thanks markp1989

Moustacha
February 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Is the cpu mounted properly?

abn91c
February 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
did you add insulation compound

Skripka
February 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
did you add insulation compound

Well it is actually thermal compound-and it serves to enhance thermal conductivity ;)

Did the OP plug the CPU HSF into the CPU fan connector on the system board?

markp1989
February 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
the thermal compound was already on the heatsink. i just checekd it all, the cpu is mounted properly. the heatsinks fan is pluged in to the motherboard, and is spining when atemption to power on.

i dont understand what the **** happened. it just makes no sence

i tried refiting te original heatsink, and i get the same resule

any one got anyideas that may help me?

thanks markp1989

TravisNewman
February 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but I've done this before...

Did you take the plastic off of the thermal compound?

az
February 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Try resetting the bios - the CMOS may have been corrupted.

ivaarsen
February 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Not trying to question your hardware prowess, but are you sure you didn't bump any other hardware around? From my experience, repeated long beeps is a memory error. Try re-seating your memory stick(s). If you have more than one, try with only one or the other(s) in slot 0 to check for bad memory.

Edit:
Note: Don't forget to remove power from the mobo when messing with the memory!

markp1989
February 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but I've done this before...

Did you take the plastic off of the thermal compound?

lol, yes i took it off. but not a stupid question, i left the plastic on my touch screen, fited it, then complained it kept catching glare then relized.

@az: i already tried clearing the cmos, still no dice.

if all else fails are there any cheap motherboard/cpu bundles that that you would recomend for day to day use. from a site that is in the uk.

thanks Markp1989

ivaarsen
February 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Sorry for the bump post, but I think I might have ninja'd you, markp. I just wanted to make sure you saw my suggestion too.

Cheers!

markp1989
February 13th, 2009, 07:15 PM
was just looking over the motherboard, and the area near the 1 of mounting holes has a damaged trace, which i asume i must of damaged during the removal of the original heatsink/back plate.

looks like a may end up having to get a new motherboard. any modles that are still on sale that have an agp port, support pc3200 memory, and an LGA775 socket?

abn91c
February 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM
was just looking over the motherboard, and the area near the 1 of mounting holes has a damaged trace, which i asume i must of damaged during the removal of the original heatsink/back plate.

looks like a may end up having to get a new motherboard. any modles that are still on sale that have an agp port, support pc3200 memory, and an LGA775 socket?
try http://www.geeks.com

markp1989
February 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
try http://www.geeks.com

just looked there items are cheap, but shipping is high, $74 to england!