PDA

View Full Version : Bash - The Linux Documentation Project

iansyngin
December 21st, 2005, 11:41 PM
The thread is aimed at complete beginners to the popular bash scripting language for Linux enthusiasts who haven't yet adventured into this area yet.
I'm no expert myself with bash but hope to keep this thread going while i study the documentation about bash.

I think this thread should focus mainly on one document and one document only for the time being until we have anayled, inspected & and queried all the details set forth in the document until it is completely clear.

There are several versions of the document available. I'll be working off the pdf and online HTML version mainly.
The URL is: http://www.tldp.org/guides.html
-----------------------------
Bash Guide for Beginners

version: 1.7
author: Machtelt Garrels
------------------------------
btw. I've never done anything like this before so don't think i'm an expert.
I'll be going through the book and posting my thoughts, examples, questions.

Can we please keep our examples fun and interesting at all times.:smile:

If your willing to join in, well, best of luck and see you at the end :)

--syngin

matthew
December 22nd, 2005, 12:00 AM
I love this idea and I'll be following the thread closely. Time availability around the holidays is difficult to predict, but if/when I can I'll try to contribute as well. This should be fun.

Okay, let's get to it! I want to be a bash wizard. :)

iansyngin
December 22nd, 2005, 12:08 AM
yes, perhaps it is a bad time to start such an adventure for many people with trying to organise xmas presents, drinking with friends and family etc.
Believe me, there is absolutely no rush with this thread, there is no time limit. Lets take this slow then for the first few weeks until all this partying dies down. i think we should still try to keep the thread alive though.
What do you think??

matthew
December 22nd, 2005, 12:28 AM
Sounds like a good plan.

poptones
December 22nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
If this is to be for beginners, don't you think there's some things that should be covered to set the groundwork? Things like...

FOR loop (how do I rename a bunch of files? How do I copy these files to my portable mp3 player in a certain order? How do I convert a folder of camera pix to something I can email to others?

WHILE loop (how do I do something with this list of files? When I try to copy this folder of mp3s it says "argument list too long" - how do I fix this?)

The problem I find with almost every help document is it focuses on features rather than tasks. Recovering files from a corrupted partition is generally not too difficult using fsck, but that doesn't mean a thing if you don't know to type "man fsck" for instructions on how to use it.

darth_vector
December 22nd, 2005, 01:24 AM
hi, count me in. i've done few little bash scripts at work, but i would love to learn more. its a very usefull language!

Nasso
December 22nd, 2005, 01:56 AM
I was looking for tutorials and such on bash-scripting and happened to find this. In other words, count me in! \\:D/ \\:D/

iansyngin
December 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM
don't you think there's some things that should be covered to set the groundwork
I certainly think the examples you have provided in the post could be looked at down the line but you have to be able to crawl before you can walk.well certainly in my case.
I'm going to try and cover chapter one between now and maybe the week after christmas. see how it goes.