PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] iBook fresh install and can't log in.

ant2ne
February 13th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I manged to install xubuntu on my iBook.

It boots to the login screen in which I put the credentials that I entered when doing the install. It acts like it is logging me in, but then a window pops up saying "You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)" I then click "OK" and I'm back at the login screen.

If I Cntl+Alt+F2 to get to a terminal, I'm presented with a login: I enter my credentials and it says "You are required to change your password immediatly (root enforced)", next line "Authentication Failure", and asks me to log in again.

At first I thought 'dang, I messed up my password during the install'. So I did the install again. I know I got it right the second time. I typed it very slow and deliberate.

Now what?

ant2ne
February 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
3rd time with a simple password and user name. No way I messed that up.

cyberdork33
February 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
boot into recovery mode where you should be able to get to a root terminal. You can then change the user password by using the command:

passwd username

It will then prompt you to type the new password in twice, and your password will be changed, then you can try to login normally again.

ant2ne
February 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM
boot into recovery mode where you should be able to get to a root terminal. You can then change the user password by using the command:

passwd username

It will then prompt you to type the new password in twice, and your password will be changed, then you can try to login normally again.Booted CD. Typed "rescue" as the boot option. Got to a rescue prompt. Executed passwd ant and it prompted me for the password twice. And then spit back "passwd: password updated successfully". Then I typed exit and selected reboot the system.

Still the exact same problem. I don't think this is an issue with my user name and password. There is some other bug that I've encountered.

ant2ne
February 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM
if i enter the user name, and an incorrect password, it never says "You are required to change your password immediately (root enforced)" It just says "login incorrect" It is like it authenticates me, but kicks me out.

ant2ne
February 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Found a posilble date bug. I logged in with rescue again and executed a date command with the current date. no effect

This is really driving me nuts.

mkvnmtr
February 14th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I do't believe cyber dork was saying to boot into the live disk. I believe he meant to boot your system on your computer.

cyberdork33
February 14th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I do't believe cyber dork was saying to boot into the live disk. I believe he meant to boot your system on your computer.
yep. not the cd, the installed system. If you do it from the CD, then you are attempting to change a password of a user on the LiveCD environment. that is not what you want.

ant2ne
February 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Ok, I'm an idiot. How do I do that? iBook uses yaboot, not grub.

ant2ne
February 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I guess 4th time is the charm. I re-installed. This time I got in. I don't know why.

I have a different set of problems. But at least I can log in. I'll open a new thread for my new problem and reference this thread.