PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] missing menu items in panel

mdsmedia
February 13th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Hi all,

I'm not at my Linux box (at home) at the moment, but thought I'd throw this out there and see if I could get some (bytes ;)) before I get home in a few hours.

I recently saved some files from Windows into my /Home folder using the Windows ext3 utility. I don't know if that was what corrupted the file system, but having logged back into Linux a number of programs were playing up, namely OOo, Pidgin and Kontact. Also, my menu buttons had disappeared. I have a Terminal icon on my panel so I could do command line stuff, and a synaptic button, so I could reinstall OOo...which wouldn't open. Also, I had errors whenever I rebooted, had to trip the errors through the CLI before it would boot into Gnome GUI.

Anyhow, I decided to back up everything and reinstall Ubuntu. That appeared to fix the problems, as I'd expected, but on restoring my /Home folder the menu buttons had disappeared again, along with the Kontact button in the Panel.

I'd like to restore the menu items in the Panel (Applications, Places, System).

Apart from that, when I play any sort of movie in Firefox the sound is like a broken record..bouncing on the spot for a while before jumping to another spot and bouncing again.

Any clues please.

the.phantom
February 13th, 2009, 05:49 AM
a light weight here
but
have you right clicked in the task bar and select
+ add to panel

they might be there

mdsmedia
February 13th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Funny, I hadn't even thought of that (I don't think) ;). I'll give that a try.

mdsmedia
February 13th, 2009, 11:16 AM
I had actually thought of that, but hadn't found the item I wanted...until now. Just the trick :). It's called "Menu Bar" but the description is "A custom Menu Bar".

Anyway, that was what I was looking for. Thanks for that. I had a feeling it was just something so simple I'd overlooked it.

I had to reinstall Kontact, though. Maybe because it's a KDE app in Gnome...actually, now I think of it, I had to reinstall Thunderbird too, and it's not a default app.