PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My first ubuntu upgrade

sp176
February 13th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I am still fairly new to ubuntu, and I am trying my first upgrade to 8.10. My question is am I able to upgrade just the operating system, but have everything else stay the same, ie my desktop items, additional programs like java, flashplayer, etc. or do I have to re-install them again.

Yeah, I am whining about not wanting to do this, but I really do not wish to spend the hours doing it all over again, lol.

Thanks a lot.

P.S. On a side note, why does this spell checker not recognize ubuntu...just saying.

RedRat
February 13th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Now this is coming from someone who has not yet upgraded to 8.10 yet. I run 8.04LTS. Depends on what you are upgrading from. Here and in the newsgroups, I have heard that there are problems with the upgrade, e.g., lost sound, video drivers, wireless, etc. Now that was some months ago and I presume 8.10 has now matured so that many of these early problems have been overcome. But if you really do not need to upgrade, I would advise against it until you get a little more Ubuntu under your belt. If you have a stable installation, e.g., 8.04, you may just get more troubles than benefits.

laffinet
February 13th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I have upgraded very early from 8.04 to 8.10 and never had any problems.

That's no guarantee for your, just thought I mention that there are positive upgrade experiences as well :P