PDA

View Full Version : Behold: The Electronic Cigarette

Sporkman
February 13th, 2009, 03:19 AM
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/archive/2695/26951701.jpg

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126951.700-electronic-cigarettes-a-safe-substitute.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=health

cardinals_fan
February 13th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I saw a pagoda-thing selling these in a mall in Virginia. Absolutely sick.

jrusso2
February 13th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Reminds me of the smokeless cigarette developed in the late 80's by RJ Reynolds at the cost of a billion dollars. They admitted it tasted like poo and got rid of it quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_(cigarette)

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Just another useless invention to help keep people addicted to nicotine. Of course, anyone who willingly goes out and tries to get themselves addicted to something are idiots in the first place.

BTW, there's absolutely nothing about this thread that is in any way related to Linux or open-source, so it's probably not long for this life.

Dr Small
February 13th, 2009, 03:44 AM
That's ridiculously sick.

-grubby
February 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Hopefully it will help those that wish to quit smoking.

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Hopefully it will help those that wish to quit smoking.

How does this help someone quit smoking? You're continuing to intoxicate yourself with an addictive substance!

jrusso2
February 13th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I quit a couple years ago cold turkey works the best. Just stop.

Kingsley
February 13th, 2009, 04:06 AM
They should make one of those for marijuana joints.

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 04:29 AM

I don't know if THC itself is actually illegal or not, but if it weren't, then there'd be no reason I could think of why it wouldn't otherwise work.

The only problem with that, though, is if people got hammered on THC, it really *would* be unsafe for them to drive, operate heavy machinery, and so forth.

Then again, it's not like I'd be buying one of these for myself, unless you could put coffee in one, or maybe a salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. But, that could be rather messy.

Just never been someone interested in doing drugs.

jrusso2
February 13th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I don't know if THC itself is actually illegal or not, but if it weren't, then there'd be no reason I could think of why it wouldn't otherwise work.

The only problem with that, though, is if people got hammered on THC, it really *would* be unsafe for them to drive, operate heavy machinery, and so forth.

Then again, it's not like I'd be buying one of these for myself, unless you could put coffee in one, or maybe a salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. But, that could be rather messy.

Just never been someone interested in doing drugs.

Yes THC the active ingredient in marijuana is illegal.

phaed
February 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM
It doesn't help them quit, but it does get rid of the dangerous toxins. Nicotine on its own is addictive but relatively harmless. It's all the other chemicals in the smoke that are harmful. That's why nicotine gums and patches are medically indicated. If you can at least get people to smoke these that would be a step in the right direction (because these "cigarettes" are pure vaporized nicotine).

Of course like most addictions, smoking is part physical addiction (to the nicotine) and part psychological addiction (to the habits and contexts of smoking). That's why they recommend to those who are trying to quit, when they get an urge, that they should pick up a straw and pretend to smoke. It helps with the psychological cravings.

So these could definitely help.

As for the person who said that anyone who willfully tries to get addicted is an idiot, nobody willfully goes out and tries to get addicted. People make mistakes in their lives. The point is not to question how they got in that position, but to find the most effective way to solve the problem. These can certainly be part of the solution.

swoll1980
February 13th, 2009, 04:57 AM
How does this help someone quit smoking? You're continuing to intoxicate yourself with an addictive substance!

You change the cartridge to one with less nicotine, and so on, and so on, to gradually ween your self from it.

wolfen69
February 13th, 2009, 05:12 AM
i think it's a good idea.

Polygon
February 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM
i think it would be better to invent better ways for people to quit......cigarettes are already expensive enough, and im sure smokers will not be happy buying even more expensive cigarettes when they are already content with making all the non smokers (read: me) inhale their disgusting second hand smoke....oh wait off topic =)

cool idea in theory, but i don't think it will take off though

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
You change the cartridge to one with less nicotine, and so on, and so on, to gradually ween your self from it.

It doesn't work, any more than "light" cigarettes work. You just take heavier drags, or more drags, and you're back at the same level.

Oh, and what's the point of the "zero nicotine" cartridge? Seems like you'd have to be a complete idiot to buy a fake cigarette so you could smoke nothing.

Giant Speck
February 13th, 2009, 05:48 AM

How do you think stop-smoking patches or gum work? They contain nicotine, too, and yet for many, they are an effective tool in quitting smoking.

It doesn't work, any more than "light" cigarettes work. You just take heavier drags, or more drags, and you're back at the same level.

Oh, and what's the point of the "zero nicotine" cartridge? Seems like you'd have to be a complete idiot to buy a fake cigarette so you could smoke nothing.

They sell sets of filters to help people quit smoking. Each filter filters out more and more of nicotine-containing smoke until eventually, the smoker is not getting any nicotine at all. It's also a quite effective tool to quit smoking with.

The electronic cigarette could combine the methods presented by both the patch and the filter. The cigarette would be like the filter in the way that the consumer is getting less and less nicotine from the cigarette with each subsequent stage in the tobacco cessation. The cigarette would be like the patch in that it does not contain the 500+ chemicals found in cigarettes.

Sorivenul
February 13th, 2009, 06:01 AM
As somebody who recently quit smoking (6 months strong), I would have been happy to have something like this.

I tried cold turkey in the past, tried orange juice and carrots, tried patches, gums, lozenges. This time was was a weening method, where I had less and less each day until I didn't need them anymore.

This is my best success yet; however, if these had been available
I'd have avoided putting the extra toxins into my system.

Tim Sharitt
February 13th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Hell yeah! Where can I get one :D

Faolan84
February 13th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Actually, as far as everyone saying this is sick a big FYI: nicotine is not a major carcinogen. Yes, it is addictive, but it's not what gives people cancer. It's what else is in the smoke. Also, it should be understood that cigarettes contain more than tobacco, some ingredients that are even more carcinogenic when burnt.

As far as I'm concerned this is the best thing that could ever happen for smokers. Now one could "smoke" in public and not disrupt or harm others. The fact is that smoker's should have rights too and honestly as long as a bar or restaurant posts a sign outside that states smoking is okay then you should be able to smoke their. that should be the owner's decision, not the decision made by mob rule just because some over sensitive parent doesn't want someone smoking around little Johnny.

I'd also like to clarify just so everyone knows I don't smoke: I don't like smokers myself, so I avoid them and I avoid their hangouts. I don't spend any money at restaurants, bars, cafés, etc that allow it. Therefore, they don't get my money. I see this invention as the end of the age of stench and I welcome it. I'm sorry, but if someone wants to do drugs they have a right to do them because it's their body, not the governments decision and not someone else's. If you don't like that then grow up.

The fact is that everyone does something that someone else would consider a sin. We shouldn't go around pointing fingers at each other for such trivial things because if we do we'll lose sight of what real evil is.

Giant Speck
February 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM
The fact is that everyone does something that someone else would consider a sin. We shouldn't go around pointing fingers at each other for such trivial things because if we do we'll lose sight of what real evil is.

Like Microsoft! Yay! I made the topic relevant to software!

:lolflag:

DISCLAIMER: The author of this post does not actually believe Microsoft is evil.

Tim Sharitt
February 13th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I feel compelled to add this. The addiction to nicotine isn't the only thing smokers have to kick. Just the habit of going out to smoke is hard to resist (even if using some nicotine replacement).

EdThaSlayer
February 13th, 2009, 06:51 AM
As far as I'm concerned this is the best thing that could ever happen for smokers. Now one could "smoke" in public and not disrupt or harm others. The fact is that smoker's should have rights too and honestly as long as a bar or restaurant posts a sign outside that states smoking is okay then you should be able to smoke their. that should be the owner's decision, not the decision made by mob rule just because some over sensitive parent doesn't want someone smoking around little Johnny.

I agree totally with you and how this helps non-smokers(I'm one too :P ).
As long as I don't have to inhale it, I won't really care where the smokers are. Just think about it, they can go along their dirty business but we don't have to suffer from the "dirt" that they love to do. :)

If this is as true as they say, I won't have to make up tons of excuses anymore to walk away from the smokers. :lolflag:

p.s-just checked the article, I don't like the idea of some "white" mist that the e-cigarette user has to exhale. I thought it was a "smokeless" cigarette meaning there is no sort of smoke or mist involved.

mobilediesel
February 13th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I quit a couple years ago cold turkey works the best. Just stop.

I couldn't agree more. Withdrawal was a pain (literally) but totally worth it!

-grubby
February 13th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I couldn't agree more. Withdrawal was a pain (literally) but totally worth it!

[results may vary]

Taidgh
February 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Just get a vaporizer. Leave the tobacco smokers to ruin their lungs.

Dr Small
February 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry, but if someone wants to do drugs they have a right to do them because it's their body, not the governments decision and not someone else's. If you don't like that then grow up.

I agree that the government should not make these decisions (because if they did, then they can tell you to give up your guns, food, water, etc), but I still think that smoking is wrong and a very bad habit.

My grandmother, her husband and my uncles all smoke, and I can see what it has done to their lives. I won't turn out like that because I will avoid it at every cost.

renzokuken
February 13th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I feel compelled to add this. The addiction to nicotine isn't the only thing smokers have to kick. Just the habit of going out to smoke is hard to resist (even if using some nicotine replacement).

I fully agree with that as someone who has failed quitting a couple of times. It's not the actual cigarette i miss so much, it's the routine, or that 5 minutes break i get at uni every so often. It breaks up what is otherwise a long day sat in front of a computer or fumehood.

I never feel the need to smoke at home or in the pub or anywhere else nowadays. Just at work.

sydbat
February 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/archive/2695/26951701.jpg

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126951.700-electronic-cigarettes-a-safe-substitute.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=healthAl Jaffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jaffee) would be proud...

forrestcupp
February 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I saw a pagoda-thing selling these in a mall in Virginia. Absolutely sick.

That's ridiculously sick.So when you guys say "sick", are you saying it's bad, or are you using the new, stupid term that means "cool"?

BTW, there's absolutely nothing about this thread that is in any way related to Linux or open-source, so it's probably not long for this life.
According to the Cafe description at the top of every page in the Cafe, "almost any non-tech-support topic may be discussed here." The only time it has to be directly related to "free and open source issues" is when the thread is political in nature. Since this thread is not a political thread, there's nothing wrong with it.

red_Marvin
February 13th, 2009, 05:57 PM
It goes well together with this (http://hackaday.com/2009/02/11/electric-matchstick/).

billgoldberg
February 13th, 2009, 06:01 PM

Nicotine is harmless to your health, unlike most other addictive substances.

Who the hell are you to call me an idiot btw?

red_Marvin
February 13th, 2009, 06:22 PM

According to wikipedia, nicotine has an (estimated?) LD50 of 0.5-1.0 mg/kg for humans, which is higher than for e.g. cocaine (95.1 mg/kg (mice)).
As a comparision caffeine has an LD50 of 192 mg/kg (rats), and Ethanol >= 2000mg/kg.
(Ethanol data and double check on nicotine from http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/)

It is not harmless.

Dr Small
February 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM
So when you guys say "sick", are you saying it's bad, or are you using the new, stupid term that means "cool"?

/define sick (http://1828.sorabji.com/1828/words/s/sick.html)

MikeTheC
February 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Who the hell are you to call me an idiot btw?

I don't recollect calling you an idiot, sir. However, if you're going to insist on arguing that the shoe fits, well...

However, I still fail to see how this is a beneficial product to those looking to quit being addicted to nicotine.

Faolan84
February 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
My grandmother, her husband and my uncles all smoke, and I can see what it has done to their lives. I won't turn out like that because I will avoid it at every cost.

I know all too well that cost. I watched my grandmother on my father's side die a very slow and agonizing death and her husband succumb to to a similar fate about fifteen years later (albeit he didn't exactly die early, he was around 75). Regardless my brother smokes, and so does a lot of my family; however I don't. Everyone in my family that does smoke realizes that could be the price they pay for their actions, but that doesn't stop them.

I don't condone those decisions, nonetheless I respect their decisions regarding their own body. Something like this could help smokers by offering a much healthier alternative to cigarettes and at the same time knocking out the annoyance factor.

Riffer
February 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM
So many judgmental responses. I wonder how many would be so dismissive if it was a new way to treat heron or crack addiction.

I've smoked for over 37 years and I hate it. I've tried so many times to quit and tried most everything, yet I still puff away. At this point if I can use something that feeds my nicotine addiction and get rid of all the other harmful substances, I would consider it a very good thing.

Studies have shown that cigarette addiction to be among the worse forms of addiction and for many cold turkey just doesn't work. To suggest otherwise is an affrontery to the rest of us poor addicts that struggle that struggle with this.

Yes it may not eliminate my nicotine addiction, but it could greatly reduce the harm that smoking has on my body.

forrestcupp
February 14th, 2009, 01:07 AM
/define sick (http://1828.sorabji.com/1828/words/s/sick.html)

Ok. I just wanted to make sure you didn't mean the U.S. meaning of the #1 definition here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sick).

For the record, I think the "cool" definition of "sick" is confusing and ridiculous.

Dr Small
February 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
For the record, I think the "cool" definition of "sick" is confusing and ridiculous.

I agree.

Giant Speck
February 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Ok. I just wanted to make sure you didn't mean the U.S. meaning of the #1 definition here (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sick).

At least it isn't as bad as when people say something is "the *****." It doesn't even make sense.

Faolan84
February 14th, 2009, 02:35 AM
it's not as bad as this one group of teenagers i saw in sacrmento at the greyhound station who caught the ear of a security guard by using the phrase "da bomb."

the other street term i hate is "skeet" which is i'm not even going to define here for the fact i would be banned from the forum. i hear people going around saying it repeatedly when they get all excited just because some song on the radio uses the word repeatedly. it really upsets me when i hear kids say it -- if those were my kids i would have spanked them for that and grounded them for a month. it's things like that which makes me lose all hop in humanity.

davlaw
May 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Smoking is the worst habit a person can have as it is not only affecting the person but also affecting people around. There are a lot of problems associated with smoking which people face like problem with respiratory system, heart and many more. ******* helps you to get over this smoking habit and it works on the body by giving you the same feel good effect as smoking and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. Best luck to all those who want to quit smoking.

monsterstack
May 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I love smoking. I'd like to get some of those electronic cigarettes. Then I'd be allowed to smoke indoors again! When I'm smoking in the vicinity of non-smokers, sometimes one of them will self-consciously cough in my direction. I always tell them, "That's a nasty cough you've got there. Lucky you're not a smoker."

Sporkman
May 13th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Smoking is the worst habit a person can have as it is not only affecting the person but also affecting people around. There are a lot of problems associated with smoking which people face like problem with respiratory system, heart and many more. ******* helps you to get over this smoking habit and it works on the body by giving you the same feel good effect as smoking and hence reduces the craving for nicotine. Best luck to all those who want to quit smoking.

...but if only there were an FDA Approved drug to help us kick the habit...

smoker
June 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
for anyone that is interested, check the link below. smoker or not, there is a whole culture building up around the use of electronic cigarettes, and similar devices.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Cristoforo Iapetos
October 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I just bought an blu electronic cigarette and want to smoke it on a jet, could i just put it in my pocket and carry it on or what?

hoppipolla
October 22nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Man I hate these things. Here in the UK what do we do? We ban smoking in public places, carry out this whole anti-smoking obsession, and then substitute the nice natural tobacco with what? This crazy, electronic contraption to make it look and feel JUST like you're smoking a real cigarette!

Seriously man... lol

I just think it's a sad sign of our times ._.

The REAL solution here is in determining WHY people take drugs or drink alcohol or smoke tobacco. It's not always because they're addicted or because they've got problems... oftentimes it's because they actually enjoy it!

Sorry lol, it's a pet hate of mine! I prefer solutions along these lines:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Japan-to-Create-Nicotine-Free-Tobacco-102661.shtml