PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quick Document Back-up Online?

Rocks and Water
February 13th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Whenever working on an important document, whether it be a paper for school or some contract work I'm doing for a client, I often feel the need to back-up the file in case of some freak accident or human error. Typically, I will simply e-mail myself the file in gmail just so I have a copy in a second location. This method is fast, but far from ideal (I end up having a whole bunch of different versions in my e-mail, it gets lost in the clutter of messages, etc.)

Are there any free online services or open source plugins meant expressly for this sort of thing? I know there are many "back up" sites around, but they mostly seem focused on very large files and storage. I want something where I can quickly shoot a document to a safe place, preferably even having the option to do so integrated into my desktop.

Does such a thing exist?

Charles4809
February 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I noticed that you are using G-mail. Instead of mailing documents to yourself you can upload them to Google.
So on the web, go to your g-mail account and click on " documents" . In this window you can upload any document you want and it is at your disposal, to look up or to work on it online. It's quit convenient and it works, being " open office" online so to speak.
Not sure this is what you are looking for, but it is worth trying.

Rocks and Water
February 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
It's not exactly what I was looking for, but it's certainly much improved over my method of just e-mailing myself. It'll definitely be doing that from now on.

Thanks for your help.