PDA

View Full Version : who doesnt use Wine/Crossover/Cedega/etc?

briancurtin
December 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM
it seems like there is never a shortage of people using wine and such to use windows programs. who out there uses strictly linux on their personal computers? no dual booting, no wine/crossover stuff, just straight linux.

i understand work is different, and i have to use windows in my internship but thats not something i have control over, so its not counted in this thread for me or anyone :)

if you fall into this category, what do you use?
i personally run only ubuntu right now but im looking to try CentOS as well tonight. i ran SuSE for the last 6 months or so and it was giving me some troubles so i looked to ubuntu.

Swab
December 21st, 2005, 09:56 PM
I don't see the point in Wine... if you want Windows then use Windows!

bonzodog
December 21st, 2005, 09:57 PM
um..I have no wine or cedega/crossover on this box
I play games, watch videos and dvd's...I cannot think of anything I cannot do in linux.
Also, my version of Ubuntu (x86_64) DOES NOT support wine or cedega.

mstlyevil
December 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM
I just dual boot. I use Suse 10 for E-Mail,web surfing and playing DVD's and I use Windows for everything else.

fog
December 21st, 2005, 09:59 PM
I'm using only linux in my computer.
Dual boot,Breezy and Dapper, nothing else :)

Kimm
December 21st, 2005, 10:00 PM
I use wine for FirstClass (beta for linux exists, but still emulation is better) which i need for school

matthew
Pure Linux here on 4 different computers. I've never been able to get wine to work well enough to make it worthwhile for me...well, that and I have always been able to find a FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) solution that did what I needed so there want much point in my case.

Swab
I use wine for FirstClass (beta for linux exists, but still emulation is better) which i need for school
OU Student?

prizrak
December 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
Swab, FirstClass is very widely used by many schools.
Does dosbox count? That's the only thing I use, have no need for Win32 emulation. Though I might try out Wing Commander IV with Wine since it doesn't run under XP :)

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 10:05 PM
I don't and i never will.

Knomefan
December 21st, 2005, 10:07 PM
Yea man, and if you want to use Linux and just need to run some win software use wine....

Anyway, no wine here. I simply don't need it, but it's great that it's there.

Swab
December 21st, 2005, 10:12 PM
Yea man, and if you want to use Linux and just need to run some win software use wine....

Anyway, no wine here. I simply don't need it, but it's great that it's there.

If the goal is to get rid of peoples dependance on Windows then I don't think Wine is really helping... It'll never work as well as Windows due to secret Microsoft APIs and so on... people who need Windows software will end up back on Windows.

Knomefan
December 21st, 2005, 10:17 PM
If the goal is to get rid of peoples dependance on Windows then I don't think Wine is really helping... It'll never work as well as Windows due to secret Microsoft APIs and so on... people who need Windows software will end up back on Windows.

No they don't. That why people use, you know, uhm, wine...
That's why wine still exists and why we are having this nice little thread here...

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM

Actually, i agree completely with this, what Wine does is making people who are using Linux support companies that do not develop for Linux, without the need to do so they are NEVER going to add Linux support to their "to do list".

I buy games that have native Linux support just to support the companies that develop for Linux, most of those games i have never played nor will i ever play them.

chimera
December 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
I never used wine for a simple reason: I DON'T NEED IT. Also, the computer I'm on right now(home) has never had windows installed on it.

Swab
December 21st, 2005, 10:22 PM
No they don't. That why people use, you know, uhm, wine...
That's why wine still exists and why we are having this nice little thread here...

Well I'm not aware of any statistics.. but a lot of people find wine lacking and end up back on windows.

Wallakoala
December 21st, 2005, 10:24 PM
Well I am dual booting with windows...but I don't really use it any more. I actually haven't used it for a month already. I might use wine eventually to get some of my games working, but thats it. Its actually sorta funny because once you start using linux, you start to hate windows.

PatrickMay16
December 21st, 2005, 10:24 PM
I'll show you the point of Wine. Some people with obscure interests often have needs which are only properly met with windows programs, like me. I've been looking for a good SPC file player which can increase/decrease pitch and tempo, mute different channels, and have a nice GUI interface for Linux, but it seems like such a thing doesn't exist. The solution? I run Super Jukebox using Wine.

So I use Wine to run a few programs for obscure needs which just don't have Linux versions or so on. Thankfully, these seem to run well in wine, and most other things have native Linux versions.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say... WINE ROCKS! Great great thanks go to the developers who have worked on and improved Wine. I owe a lot to them. If a Wine developer happens to be reading this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Swab
December 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM
I'll show you the point of Wine. Some people with obscure interests often have needs which are only properly met with windows programs, like me. I've been looking for a good SPC file player which can increase/decrease pitch and tempo, mute different channels, and have a nice GUI interface for Linux, but it seems like such a thing doesn't exist. The solution? I run Super Jukebox using Wine.

So I use Wine to run a few programs for obscure needs which just don't have Linux versions or so on. Thankfully, these seem to run well in wine, and most other things have native Linux versions.

Fair enough, point taken.

On a slight tangent.. how long do you think it will take for crossover to get office 12 running? My guess is that it will never happen.

megamania
December 21st, 2005, 10:28 PM
I only use Ubuntu at the moment., but I'll probably install Crossover because I need Excel from time to time (I run a visual basic self-written accounting program)...

besides that, I first tried Linux 6 months ago and erased windows three months ago.

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 10:38 PM

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to say... WINE ROCKS! Great great thanks go to the developers who have worked on and improved Wine. I owe a lot to them. If a Wine developer happens to be reading this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

This took me less than one minute to find:

SnesAMP

Sound output up to 32-bit, 96kHz, surround

Different interpolation methods and low-pass filter for high quality mixing Stereo separation and echo feedback crosstalk controls for further improving sound quality Auto preamplifcation reduction (APR) with custom range for optimal loudness

Pitch and speed controls as well as channel muting for manipulating songs in real time

Reverse stereo option

Fast position seeking

Custom title formatting depending on id666 tag content

Extensive id666 tag editor including extended tag

Real time infomations and statictics about loaded SPC file

Hot linked, magnetic Control dialog with quick access to all important settings

Context sensitive help

Multi-language support

http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesamp/

prizrak
December 21st, 2005, 10:44 PM
I think Wine is great, like it or not Windows is the standard in the desktop world and any OS that wants to compete has to be compatible at some level. No one is bashing Open Office for supporting .doc......

scole
December 21st, 2005, 10:46 PM
People who use wine like me want to see as little of ms windows as is possible. i will rarely use it and if i do it is only reluctantly. I use wine for some gaming if it wil work i will use it. open office works for me and the basic text editor works great for html because once u save as an htm it switches to html mode where it highlites tags for easy reading. only for games i cant run in ubuntu and through wine will i use windows. That is really the point of wine.

scole
December 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM
oh and to the point linux is supported in major apps occaionally, Unreal Tournament 2004 contains a linux install as well.

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM
I think Wine is great, like it or not Windows is the standard in the desktop world and any OS that wants to compete has to be compatible at some level. No one is bashing Open Office for supporting .doc......

No, because using OpenOffice doesn't mean that you are buying software from a company that doesn't support Linux (thereby indirectly, like it or not, you are supporting that company's stance that Linux support is not needed) and even if you open a text file in .doc format you can still save it in an open format.

Knomefan
December 21st, 2005, 10:53 PM
No, because using OpenOffice doesn't mean that you are buying software from a company that doesn't support Linux (thereby indirectly, like it or not, you are supporting that company's stance that Linux support is not needed) and even if you open a text file in .doc format you can still save it in an open format.
Oh, but you are.
If you are using OO for .doc files you do of course help the MS monopoly when it comes to office suits, because people will still be convinced it is some kind of standard (you know, everybody can use it) and will still expect you to send them docs in this "standard".

However, does that mean you it is a bad thing OO supports .doc? No, because otherwise OO wouldn't be usable for a whole lot of people and they wouldn't be able to use an alternative to MS office.
Same goes for wine btw.

PatrickMay16
December 21st, 2005, 10:55 PM
This took me less than one minute to find:

http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesamp/
Upon further inspection, it seems like this SnesAmp that you found is actually a plugin for Winamp for which there is no XMMS/Linux port and http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesamp/ takes you to a "this is no longer updated. Redirecting..." page, which sends you off to snesmusic.org, which doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for either.

Thanks for having a look for me, anyway.

scole
December 21st, 2005, 11:00 PM
i agree .doc is the standard if noone could save as a .doc in OO how would you ever send the file to some one on winxp? Nobody would use OO for a office clone if it didnt support .doc, it would be too much of a hassle ok not everybody.

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 11:02 PM
Oh, but you are.
If you are using OO for .doc files you do of course help the MS monopoly when it comes to office suits, because people will still be convinced it is some kind of standard (you know, everybody can use it) and will still expect you to send them docs in this "standard".

However, does that mean you it is a bad thing OO supports .doc? No, because otherwise OO wouldn't be usable for a whole lot of people and they wouldn't be able to use an alternative to MS office.
Same goes for wine btw.

If you are using OO for whatever reason you are supporting the FOSS community by using FOSS software, last time i looked OO supports Linux natively.

By buying software that does not have Linux support you are giving your money to a company that doesn't support Linux AND you are telling them that they don't have to do so because you'll still be buying their software.

Knomefan
December 21st, 2005, 11:10 PM
If you are using OO for whatever reason you are supporting the FOSS community by using FOSS software, last time i looked OO supports Linux natively.

And what does this have to do with my points?
Oh, nothing.
Nice talking to you anyway.

Iandefor
December 21st, 2005, 11:11 PM
I have WINE just in case the desire to run a Windows program strikes me, but, on the whole, I'm good with Linux programs.

John.Michael.Kane
December 21st, 2005, 11:12 PM
No MS programs on this machine or dual booting of win anything. however there are those who have need for said programs and options ie dual booting. then there are thoes who linux fully covers as far as programs and use goes.

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 11:16 PM
Upon further inspection, it seems like this SnesAmp that you found is actually a plugin for Winamp for which there is no XMMS/Linux port and http://www.alpha-ii.com/snesamp/ takes you to a "this is no longer updated. Redirecting..." page, which sends you off to snesmusic.org, which doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for either.

Thanks for having a look for me, anyway.

Ooops, sorry about that, i totally missed that it was for amp exclusively.

Anyway, SPCXMMS seems to have the same functions.

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/spcxmms-0.2.1.tar.bz2

If that isn't ok there is always OpenSPC

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/download/ospclinux300.tar.bz2

No worries, you're welcome. :)

prizrak
December 21st, 2005, 11:17 PM

By buying software that does not have Linux support you are giving your money to a company that doesn't support Linux AND you are telling them that they don't have to do so because you'll still be buying their software.
That is all fine and good, however to build on your point. If I use Wine I use a FOSS OS and support it. While you might have a choice in the future to not buy software that does not run on Linux if you are switching from Windows you might have the said software (even if its nothing more than just games) so it is nice to have a way of using them in your Brand Spanking New OS :) It is the same with OO anything new I will create (that doesn't have to be sent to others) is going to be saved in the .odt format but it is nice to be able to keep all my documents from the Windows days instead of having to type them up again (or convert them to rtf). I agree that it would rule not having to use such crutches to switch from one OS to another but they do need to be in place if you want people to go over to your side. Another thing that you need to realize is that measures like Wine/Crossover/Cedega etc.... will get more people to switch to Linux and the more people switch the more companies will create more Linux ports of their software since native is better than NOT Emulated :)

Iandefor
December 21st, 2005, 11:19 PM
@SD-Plissken: So there is someone else on earth who's seen Escape from LA and/or Escape from New York! lol... such funny movies.

ajgreeny
December 21st, 2005, 11:22 PM
The only thing I miss in windows is an older version of Mailwasher, superb for looking at what spam is on your email server and then deleting it all in one go without even having to download it first. If I've been on holiday or away for some time it can take a long time to look at all the emails on the server using pop3browser as this only allows you to view headers one at a time, not all at once using a nice gui.

Does anyone know of an alternative to Mailwasher that works in Breezy Ubuntu, or a gui for pop3browser. or can I use wine for running mailwasher?

As a general rule I only boot up windows when I need something that, for the moment at least, I can't do using Ubuntu. Otherwise its Breezy Ubuntu all the way for everything else, though I've just put Suse 10 on a separate disk to look at as well. So far it doesn't look antwhere as good as Ubuntu, which I think is brilliant. I looki forward to the final version of Dapper, which I suspect will replace Suse 10 on that separate disk.

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 11:25 PM
And what does this have to do with my points?
Oh, nothing.
Nice talking to you anyway.

Excuse me?

I said:
"No, because using OpenOffice doesn't mean that you are buying software from a company that doesn't support Linux (thereby indirectly, like it or not, you are supporting that company's stance that Linux support is not needed)"

You replied:
"Oh, but you are.
If you are using OO for .doc files you do of course help the MS monopoly when it comes to office suits, because people will still be convinced it is some kind of standard (you know, everybody can use it) and will still expect you to send them docs in this "standard"."

To which i replied:
"If you are using OO for whatever reason you are supporting the FOSS community by using FOSS software, last time i looked OO supports Linux natively.

By buying software that does not have Linux support you are giving your money to a company that doesn't support Linux AND you are telling them that they don't have to do so because you'll still be buying their software."

And you don't get how that has anything to do with your points?

ajgreeny
December 21st, 2005, 11:32 PM
I'm one of these strange people who has never used MS Office except on a work supplied laptop about 11 years ago. When I bought my own machine with win95 then win 98, I used Lotus Smartsuite that came free on a magazine cover CD. I liked this until I tried OOo, since when nothing else will do. MS can keep their Office for others but I'll stick with OOo all the way and don't ever seem to find a compatibility problem with it either.

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 11:36 PM
That is all fine and good, however to build on your point. If I use Wine I use a FOSS OS and support it. While you might have a choice in the future to not buy software that does not run on Linux if you are switching from Windows you might have the said software (even if its nothing more than just games) so it is nice to have a way of using them in your Brand Spanking New OS :) It is the same with OO anything new I will create (that doesn't have to be sent to others) is going to be saved in the .odt format but it is nice to be able to keep all my documents from the Windows days instead of having to type them up again (or convert them to rtf). I agree that it would rule not having to use such crutches to switch from one OS to another but they do need to be in place if you want people to go over to your side. Another thing that you need to realize is that measures like Wine/Crossover/Cedega etc.... will get more people to switch to Linux and the more people switch the more companies will create more Linux ports of their software since native is better than NOT Emulated :)

Point well taken, but...

I'd prefer it if windows users who need windows use windows instead of Linux, in fact, i'd go as far as saying that most users i know who are using Linux would be far better off using windows instead of trying to make Linux into windows.

To me it will never be about winning anyone over and adapting systems to ease the transition from windows to Linux is making more and more stuff completely unusable to me. Hence my nick, BSDFreak, rather than LinuxFreak. ;)

ubuntumaneh
December 21st, 2005, 11:38 PM
I only use Linux. I used to use debian a year ago, but now I only use ubuntu.
I also have some personal issues with any .doc, .ppt, .xml or any office document, so unless someone give one of these to me I hope never to have to make one. I have to write lots of text, and I do it in txt or tex in emacs. Also I don't like .pdf for it is usually to slow in the computers I have been using in the last years and its is not free like freedom, although I can appreciate some of its functionalities. Everytime I can I make .ps and usually try to convice people to use it (i know this is stupidity). Im become a little radical, but I really am very happy using linux, and there is nothing windows can do for me. Now, I understand that there are things that only windows can do, fortunately they are not in my task list.

Knomefan
December 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM
Excuse me?

No, I won't.

I said:
"No, because using OpenOffice doesn't mean that you are buying software from a company that doesn't support Linux (thereby indirectly, like it or not, you are supporting that company's stance that Linux support is not needed)"

Yep

You replied:
"Oh, but you are.
If you are using OO for .doc files you do of course help the MS monopoly when it comes to office suits, because people will still be convinced it is some kind of standard (you know, everybody can use it) and will still expect you to send them docs in this "standard"."

Yep

To which i replied:
"If you are using OO for whatever reason you are supporting the FOSS community by using FOSS software, last time i looked OO supports Linux natively.

Yep

And you don't get how that has anything to do with your points?
Yep, because it doesn't.
I pointed out why using OO with .doc files could be considered as problematic as using an application that is only available for windows with wine, despite the fact the OO runs on linux and is open source and you answered with:
Oh, but it runs on linux and is open source.

Pretty stupid?
It sure is.

BSDFreak
December 21st, 2005, 11:52 PM
No, I won't. Yep Yep Yep Yep, because it doesn't. I pointed out why using OO with .doc files could be considered as problematic as using an application that is only available for windows with wine, despite the fact the OO runs on linux and is open source and you answered with: Oh, but it runs on linux and is open source. Pretty stupid? It sure is. Seriously, you are making a comparison between apples and oranges and i'm telling you exactly that.

You don't see the difference between buying software and thereby supporting companies that do not have a Linux port and using a Linux program to open .doc files without paying one cent to any company that doesn't support Linux?

I don't know why you feel the need to insult me, i have been nothing but civil towards you.

Knomefan
December 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM
Seriously, you are making a comparison between apples and oranges and i'm telling you exactly that.

Which is fine. I had only hoped you'd also tell me why.

You don't see the difference between buying software and thereby supporting companies that do not have a Linux port and using a Linux program to open .doc files without paying one cent to any company that doesn't support Linux?

If you read my post again, you'd see I didn't say the were the same, but pointed out why they were similar.

claydoh
December 21st, 2005, 11:58 PM
As a newbie, I used wine, well probably as many newbies still do, because it kinda sounded cool to be able to use your fave Win app in Linux, even if it was a pain in the butt to set up (as it was 3+ years ago) Plus, back then application availability and quality was, well for a lot of categories, plain awful. I struggled off and on getting some programs to run because as I had purchased them, I though it might be cool to be able to use them. And I did until they themselves became outdated or I discovered useful native applications.

Now, I mainly use wine/cedega for games and the occaisional app with no Linux counterpart.

Another sort of side-effect of using, learning and configuring wine is that you can learn a little about your Linux file system, and learn how to use new (to the user), native software out of the sheer exasperation of trying to run things with it :-D

Wolki
December 22nd, 2005, 12:05 AM
I have wine installed (family support request for an app) but don't use it, just too lazy to uninstall. There are few to no windows programs I'd ever want to use, except maybe Cygwin. ;)

prizrak
December 22nd, 2005, 12:16 AM
Point well taken, but...

I'd prefer it if windows users who need windows use windows instead of Linux, in fact, i'd go as far as saying that most users i know who are using Linux would be far better off using windows instead of trying to make Linux into windows.

To me it will never be about winning anyone over and adapting systems to ease the transition from windows to Linux is making more and more stuff completely unusable to me. Hence my nick, BSDFreak, rather than LinuxFreak. ;)
::Tips his hat:: good debate, and your opinion does make sense :)

BSDFreak
December 22nd, 2005, 12:24 AM
Which is fine. I had only hoped you'd also tell me why.

And i did but you said it had nothing to do with anything.

If you read my post again, you'd see I didn't say the were the same, but pointed out why they were similar.

And i pointed out why they are not.

BSDFreak
December 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM
::Tips his hat:: good debate, and your opinion does make sense :)

As do yours, in the end that is what it comes down to, individual opinion, there is not really any right or wrong but good debates will help everyone gain knowledge.

:cool:

Knomefan
December 22nd, 2005, 12:33 AM
And i pointed out why they are not.
Nope, all you said was "but it runs on Linux", which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

BSDFreak
December 22nd, 2005, 01:08 AM
Nope, all you said was "but it runs on Linux", which has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

I don't know why you keep insisting that that is what i said, i'll repeat myself for the third time.

By buying software that does not have Linux support you are giving your money to a company that doesn't support Linux AND you are telling them that they don't have to do so because you'll still be buying their software."

This is an explanation why the two different things are not comparable.

Anyway, this discussion isn't going anywhere so i'm just going to leave it at that, i've made my point clear and i doubt anyone has any doubts regarding my stance on things.

Be well.

benplaut
December 22nd, 2005, 08:43 PM
i have dreamweaver and office 2003 installed, but i haven't used either in at least a month... i use Powerpoint to check if my presentations made in Impress show up correctly, and i use gedit instead of dreamweaver... my formatting is done, i'm jst editing words ;)

TimelessRogue
December 22nd, 2005, 08:58 PM
Hmmm ... I've not even tried to use any type of crossover such as Wine since the clumsy, early days of Wine. It's been dual-boot for safety or at least a comfort level compatible with relative sphincter control 'til recently ... then it was time for a total switch to Ubuntu with 5.10.

Before using OpenOffice it was Lotus since the early days. All of that has now been switched over, one at a time as needed, and I haven't been happier.

So ... why crossover?

_linux_
April 14th, 2006, 06:41 PM
I dual boot Edubuntu and Windows, but I still use wine when I don't feel like rebooting into Windows. :D

Stormy Eyes
April 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM
No dual boot, no virtual machines, no WINE for me. If I want to use Windows, I'll go to the office.

engineering.concepts
April 15th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I would prefer not to use Wine or any Win emulator , but I enjoy Pokerstars, and I can't run it without Wine......not yet ..... until they release a Linux version.

airtonix
April 23rd, 2006, 07:50 AM
your sig just sums up you attitude......gee here comes ceaser, im done with licking this local barions **** lets move onto the next tyrants arsehole.

Master Shake
April 24th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I don't use wine, cedega, crossover office, but I DO use DOSBox, and am reliving the glory days of PC gaming in Ubuntu. I'd addicted all over again to Populous.

I'm considering (just for grins) trying to use Windows version 1 in DOSBox, just to see if it works. NOt that I would run it for any amount of time, mind you. :)

BoyOfDestiny
April 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I don't use wine, cedega, crossover office, but I DO use DOSBox, and am reliving the glory days of PC gaming in Ubuntu. I'd addicted all over again to Populous.

I'm considering (just for grins) trying to use Windows version 1 in DOSBox, just to see if it works. NOt that I would run it for any amount of time, mind you. :)

Ha ha I tested win3.1 in DOSBox .65, ran for a little while then had a segfault (windows crashed, not dosbox.)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=153518

I've since deleted it (windows, not dosbox of course!)

Also, to answer the thread, no windows or wine. Loads of emulators, but not for Windows stuff :)

warp99
April 24th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I sometimes use a virtual windows session for the ocassional app, but no dual boot. I will not allow XP to have direct access to the hardware. I treat windows as a spoiled little child throwing a temper tantrum, so XP stays in the vmware "sandbox". :p

matthinckley
April 24th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I use wine for DVD Shrink.

If there is a native linux app that does what DVD Shrink does, let me know, I haven't found one yet.

Matt

warp99
April 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I use wine for DVD Shrink.

If there is a native linux app that does what DVD Shrink does, let me know, I haven't found one yet.

Matt

k9copy works pretty well as a front end for dvdauthor. I used it to make perfect "backups" of a few DVDs. :cool:

[h2o]
April 24th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I use Wine only because my bank requires you to run a "security program" to log in, and that program is not available for Linux. But apart from that I never use it. I still have windows on another partition for gaming.

Rikostan
April 24th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I don't use wine or cedaga. I have my main machine with just Ubuntu on it and I have a second machine that dual boots XP and Ubuntu. I use a KVM switch, and leave XP running on the second machine most of the time.
The only thing I use XP for any more is just to runs games on though.

Unlike a lot of Linux users, I have no issues with Windows at all. I was very happy using that OS and if I had to go back to XP tomorrow for some odd reason, I could be happy again.
I switched to Ubuntu to get out of a rut. I support PCs for a living, so I try to get familiar with every aspect of them that I can. Using the same OS day in and day out is not conducive to thinking out of the box.

I am very happy with Ubuntu now too though. I still do pretty much the same things I did on my XP box, but I accomplish them in different ways with different software.
I also have a G3 mac that will be dual booting ubuntu soon too.. and I put familiar Linux on my old iPaq 3650 last night as well... It's my hobby, it's what I do.

matthinckley
April 24th, 2006, 07:24 PM
k9copy works pretty well as a front end for dvdauthor. I used it to make perfect "backups" of a few DVDs. :cool:

but will it shrink DVD9 to DVD4.7?

that's the main reason I use DVD Shrink

If it won't, I couuld use it to make a backup, but then I would still have to run it through DVD Shrink to fit it onto a 4.7GB DVD

EDIT: I just wen't to their site.. apparently it does shrink to 4.7GB

Sweet! gonna try this out when I get home

cssutto
April 26th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Pure Linux here on 4 different computers. I've never been able to get wine to work well enough to make it worthwhile for me...well, that and I have always been able to find a FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) solution that did what I needed so there want much point in my case.

I am having a very bd time getting wine to work.

But what else can I do when I have stuff on my machine that is more than 20 years old and most of it Windows and some of it DOS.

Accunting, spread sheets, AutoCad drawings, literally thousands of files.

If you know an easy way, I am listenting.

I am determined to rid myself of MS. My last security update took forever and it had more problems than you would expect from a kid just out of school.

CSSJR

KLineD
April 26th, 2006, 02:29 AM
but will it shrink DVD9 to DVD4.7?

that's the main reason I use DVD Shrink

If it won't, I couuld use it to make a backup, but then I would still have to run it through DVD Shrink to fit it onto a 4.7GB DVD

EDIT: I just wen't to their site.. apparently it does shrink to 4.7GB

Sweet! gonna try this out when I get home

I used to run DVDShrink with Wine for the same reasons as you but since I got an AMD64 I'm forced not to use Wine. So I installed K9Copy and found it to work well (but not as easy or intuitive as DVDShrink) but it's very slow compared to what DVDShrink under wine used to be.

However I'm glad there's an alternative for DVDShrink.

professor_chaos
April 26th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I can't help but respectfully dissagree with the statements about using such programs (wine, etc) as not supporting FLOSS and about dependencies on windows. If you look at it a different way, programs such as wine help keep some users from having to dual-boot. Pehaps they have to write a report in .doc format for class or a boss and what absolute compatibility. So until my boss installs Openoffice, I am pleased to have programs like wine to allow me from installing/dual-booting into windows. So from another perspective, wine allows some to continue to use linux given they are amist an army of MS windows users.

And another point I would make is that.... linux (at least for me) is about alternitives and freedom. So even though some companies don't agree with my sense of morality, wine/etc provide me the ability to exercise this freedom by running their software.

Given all that, I don't run wine much except for excel/word and dvdshrink, but I don't see using it as even being the slightest bit negative. ;)

MadmanTM
January 23rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
i use cedega and vmware and wine also

vmware with windows xp updated is the main place where i get my win appliations running in a emergency case where i cannot run them else where, and my work's uses checkpoint secure vpn so i have to.

cedega is purely for testing purposes to see the performance of emulations for windows API

and wine to see if i can run more things. :)

no dual boot, id rather be fully in linux to learn it.

doobit
January 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm not using any of them. Haven't seen a need.

Sunflower1970
January 23rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
I installed Wine, but have yet to use it. Haven't seen the need....yet... :)

scrooge_74
January 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
I am using wine just to run Peachtree accounting and just for the fun of seeing if any of the old games I have runs on it.

wert613
January 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
i dont actually use it for anything...

lyceum
January 23rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
I use Crossover for some programs I need for school. Once out, I plan to go into rehab and get clean :)

Bachstelze
January 23rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
I definitely use none of them. If I really need to do something in Windows, VMware is the way I go.

jvc26
January 23rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
I use purely Ubuntu - no windows apps - if I still wanted windows apps I'd dual boot, but Ubuntu fortunately offers me all I need for my uses :)
Il

rapidwiz
January 31st, 2007, 01:54 AM
Crossover is a fantastic tool to have at our arsenal, like someone said, it is nice to have even if you don't use or need it. I support Linux and certainly no Windoze supporter, but no need to slam Crossover/Wine. Wine is a translator, an emulator if you will. It is a great product for those neat little windows programs/hacking tools etc :) which aren't readily available in Linux yet.

I also have licenses for windows software which I like to use and Crossover came through. It is also a lazy man's tool :( I agree, but I don't think for a second it stops people from converting to Linux.

In fact with the new Vista licensing scheme, it is clear M$ need no help at all to convert people, they chase people away over and over again.

Crossover has a free evaluation version of Crossover on their website, you should try it.

Apps I use are Winrar, New Readers, QuickPar, You Tube Video download tools, Xbox Bios Tools etc .. it's very cool.

STREETURCHINE
February 1st, 2007, 10:19 AM
only linux here,i have no need for wine ,or cedega or any of those edgy does everything i want it to do...:D

straxus
February 9th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I use Crossover to run IE6. I need to be able to test web pages, and prefer not needing to reboot or launch a VM to perform such a simple task. Unfortunately, the other mission critical Windows apps I run at work won't run under Wine/Crossover. I have to fire up ye ol VM for them. :(

Sunnz
February 9th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Using purely OpenBSD on my server, so not even 'binary blobs' exists, clearly any Windows/API emulation is not needed.

Purely OS X on the laptop at the moment. But will try tri-booting/parallel when I got my files sorted out. However as OS X runs MS Office natively, and it have no problems with playing video/DVD or what not, tri-boot is mostly a fun mucking around thing. However I probably will be running Linux more as school starts again!!! :o

Desktop has VMware installed on Linux, running Windows... however I rarely have to boot up Windows inside Linux, only certain times when some rmvb doesn't work. But mplayer seems to get better even at encoding the most bazar rmvb video recently, so there.

anaconda
February 9th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I would say I use almost pure linux. I DO use wine, but isn't that also pure linux.. I mean it isn't windows, and hasn't got any windows code in it.

OK. maybe I cheat a bit. I DO have Windows images in wmware.. To get some programs working in wine they have to be installed to windows first and then copy the installed files to wine.... so not gonna get rid of them completely anytime soon..

99,9% of time I use only linux.

Sunnz
February 9th, 2007, 09:33 AM
What is more pure, Linux using only native apps or Linux using some non-native apps provided by an API layer?

It is understandable of what you are saying, I don't completely disagree with it. :)

MrHorus
February 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I've used Wine and Cedega in the past for the occasional game that did not have Linux binaries but right now my main machine (my laptop) is 100% pure Linux.

jethro10
February 9th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I have to use wine for :-

1. A Bank whose site needs IE, I use ies4linux. Yes, i've informed the bank about their bad behaviour.

2. I Backed up a DVD that had Sony Arcos protection using ripit4me, who have nicely tweaked their windows only product to work on wine.

If it wasn't for wine with these itsy bitsy jobs, I'm afraid I would be on Windows, not linux.

So sometimes its essential to use wine to get linux converts.

Pragmatic and true.

Jeff